OT: Entrepreneurship

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
With the affect this pandemic is having, I'm thinking more and more about opening some type of business.
I'm still very much at the early stage and uncertain about it but was wondering if there's any entrepreneurs here who could share some tips/advice and how they got started...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Have a friend who makes a literal fortune every year off his scrap metal/junk yard. Not kidding!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Choose something you're interested in enough to devote lots of time & energy to. Building anything from scratch takes plenty of thinking, planning and trying before you see any money. You've got expertise in health & fitness -- there are lots of avenues you could take this.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
With the affect this pandemic is having, I'm thinking more and more about opening some type of business.
I'm still very much at the early stage and uncertain about it but was wondering if there's any entrepreneurs here who could share some tips/advice and how they got started...

Heya, I've been in business for the past 26 years here.

Can you get 5 sales yourself?
Can you make these 5 customers happy?
Can you create a system to get the next 100?

Nothing else matter.

Reactions: OldCraig71

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Sterilising misting chambers. Portable and ideal for social gatherings. Like a small plastic tent with misting nozzles.

@Kriss E All covid-specific ideas are awful. Pharma companies have been going bankrupt trying to do vaccines for the last 100 years. I would qualify all covid directly related ideas as terrible, you don't know when it's going away.

You need to find an idea that works:

During Covid
After Covid, in a world of personalization/5G/AI

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
@Kriss E All covid-specific ideas are awful. Pharma companies have been going bankrupt trying to do vaccines for the last 100 years. I would qualify all covid directly related ideas as terrible, you don't know when it's going away.

You need to find an idea that works:

During Covid
After Covid, in a world of personalization/5G/AI

Good video.
Ya, I'm staying away from business ideas who will work during this crisis.
I'm looking for something that will thrive during and after.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Choose something you're interested in enough to devote lots of time & energy to. Building anything from scratch takes plenty of thinking, planning and trying before you see any money. You've got expertise in health & fitness -- there are lots of avenues you could take this.
The tricky part with this is its already saturated.
I have an idea that could be interesting with only one other company offering it, but as you said, takes a lot of planning and I might be too late as it would thrive during summer, studying the feasibility of it now.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Board games seem to be becoming very popular, especially niche ones - create a unique theme, build a series - and kickstarter seems to fund a heap of them

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good video.
Ya, I'm staying away from business ideas who will work during this crisis.
I'm looking for something that will thrive during and after.

I doubt that disinfectant companies will cease doing business. There may well be continued demand, not everyone will be vaccinated and there is no guarantee that it will be eradicated.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Board games seem to be becoming very popular, especially niche ones - create a unique theme, build a series - and kickstarter seems to fund a heap of them
I met the people who invented Trivial Pursuit. They were friends of my neighbour, and came over with a demo version to have him try it. He came and got me and we played for a few hours. They were about 2 months away from launching it. I heard they got rich pretty quick.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
You're a fitness instructor and your skills were good enough to land you a dream job in KSA.

Build on that skillset, help others start their own fitness related business or use your connections to start something new that offers real value to the clients unlike 99% of the gyms in Montreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You're a fitness instructor and your skills were good enough to land you a dream job in KSA.

Build on that skillset, help others start their own fitness related business or use your connections to start something new that offers real value to the clients unlike 99% of the gyms in Montreal.

That makes sense. He's already established and has built credibility in several communities where he has worked. He just needs to monetize those skills on different platforms, not just in person training. He's able to write long-winded answers in here where he's able to logically develop ideas, so he can certainly write a book, a blog, programs for online use, one on one training on line, build an online community.

Get someone who can design a website properly, perhaps even set up an app. Appear on shows that are open to entrepreneurs. There are opportunities for him everywhere. Especially now, an online business can really get off the ground quickly.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
For goods:
  1. Affordable home fitness equipment (everything on the market seems over priced to me - and I think you can innovate on the material). I think people will be less inclined to use public facilities for a bit.
  2. High end fitness equipment (Flip-side, develop a sincere and effective brand like Tesla or some other high end product.
For services:
  1. Healthy lifestyle tourism; how many people go and train in Brazil for BJJ or Japan for judo, etc... or the equivalent in whatever sport. Packages with training and competition facilities would be fun and maybe you could even go for NGO status or the equivalent. Could be fan based, athlete based.
  2. Online private post secondary education. Thinking of ways to coordinate standards and build networks of these mushroom like institutions. It would be good to know that any particular school is part of a network like this.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I doubt that disinfectant companies will cease doing business. There may well be continued demand, not everyone will be vaccinated and there is no guarantee that it will be eradicated.

Still just a short term plan and very niche. There are multiple cleansing companies already set up. Much easier for them to develop this side of their business, then a new one coming in having to learn everything and create an entire inventory.
Also not sure about the regulations here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad