GWT: English Premier League: 12/19 - 12/21/2015

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm in two minds about today's result. On one hand, I'm thrilled for 3 points. On the other, it reflects very poorly on the players the turnaround that accompanied Mourinho's departure. Demonstrates some poor character. I understand that frustrations with a manager can harm a player's form, but actively not playing for a manager is childish. Shows some really bad character on the part of a few players.

Are you referring to the performance or the result? If it's the latter I think they'd have got the three points if Mourinho had been at the helm. If it's the former it could be down to any number of things. Abramovich might have motivated them with his speech for example. Of course what you're saying could be the case as well, but I would think there weren't too many players in that team who were not playing for the manager.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Are you referring to the performance or the result? If it's the latter I think they'd have got the three points if Mourinho had been at the helm. If it's the former it could be down to any number of things. Abramovich might have motivated them with his speech for example. Of course what you're saying could be the case as well, but I would think there weren't too many players in that team who were not playing for the manager.

I did not watch the game (alas, was at work), but I'm hoping that it wasn't a not playing for manager situation. I cannot respect players who will actively be crap just to get a manager gone. I agree for the most part with the Mourinho sack, but I have no patience with players who will play badly just to get a coach fired.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I did not watch the game (alas, was at work), but I'm hoping that it wasn't a not playing for manager situation. I cannot respect players who will actively be crap just to get a manager gone. I agree for the most part with the Mourinho sack, but I have no patience with players who will play badly just to get a coach fired.

Put yourself in the players shoes. Constant reports of Mourinho having full support of ownership despite being a total tool and throwing you + your teammates under the bus routinely.

There were reports of almost a dozen players asking to leave over the summer, with a couple of guys not being let go.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It says in the article I linked what was going on with Chelsea. Fabregas and Hazard have been pointed out as players who were tired of Mourinho in other articles, and Diego Costa, Oscar, and Willian all wanted to leave.

It only sounded like one player actually supported Mourinho and I'm 99% sure that was Terry.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

No, I agree with you. I just question how many players were actually purposely not performing and how often.

It says in the article I linked what was going on with Chelsea. Fabregas and Hazard have been pointed out as players who were tired of Mourinho in other articles, and Diego Costa, Oscar, and Willian all wanted to leave.

It only sounded like one player actually supported Mourinho and I'm 99% sure that was Terry.

Take Willian for example. If indeed he wanted to leave then I would say from what I saw it didn't always show this season.

I'm not surprised players wanted to leave, but what does surprise me is that some of them apparently wanted to go after winning the league last season. I think in some cases, like those of Cesc and Hazard, they were probably more upset about being played in a setup where they had to defend more than they wanted. Cesc in particular was played too deep if you ask me.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

I read an article that said that Terry and Mourinho had a large argument back in August

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
CWrGtyRUkAEwP0e.png

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Bogdan is even less convincing than Mignolet

Tim Howard scored on him a few years ago :laugh:. Not sure why people were clamoring for him. If he were better he would have been playing before. Going to have to wait until the winter window, maybe even the summer.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
I don't regularly watch Liverpool so I am wondering how typical/indicative this match is? Sakho has stood out as being really really bad (don't know how indicative that is either).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad