End of the Avalanche?

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
not over (yet) but a lot of work needs to be done, thats for sure.
CMac re-gained some trust, imo, with this past TD. so lets see what he can do.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Landeskog’s injury was the start of it all. Losing Kadri and other depth, not having draft picks develop, goaltending, and now the latest Nichuskin drama has closed the window in my opinion. The team has a lot of high end talent but no longer possess the depth needed to be a true contender. Dallas just showed that. The team will be good enough for the playoffs, but I think one more conference finals appearance is the ceiling unless some major re-tooling is made, which probably won’t happen with the the uncertainty of Nichuskin. If Ritchie can develop into a 2C, that would be huge for the Avs. We can’t develop players right now.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The window is wide open with some retooling since MacKinnon will be 29 and Makar 26 next season. But their playoff failures the last 2 seasons have really shown how much their depth has been depleted since winning the cup. Some retooled depth, starting with a viable 2C, would make them contenders again. Kadri leaving left the biggest void and the Johansen gamble didn't work out,

I do find it strange how while we looked at the Avs as having a shot at a dynasty at the time they won the 2022 cup, in hindsight they might've won it just in the nick of time.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Nah I ain't buying it. If the Avs aren't contenders then there's only 3-4 contenders in the whole league (Florida, Dallas, NYR, Vegas).

They kicked the shit out of a team a lot of people were saying was better than them, and then they lost in the 2nd rd to the eventual western conference champion, and likely Stanley Cup champion as well.

I think the Byram trade was a net loss but they still have one of the best D cores in the league. Mac and Rantanen and some decent depth up front. They just need a reliable goalie and they're set. I'd pick them for 24/25 well ahead of frauds like Edmonton and Winnipeg

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
they'll have to hold their star players more accountable defensively, that's on bednar.
they'll have to come to a decision on nuke and look at goaltending. minor changes and they should be a top team again next year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This whole talk about cup windows being some kind of linear thing is absolute dog shit. As long as the Avs can build around prime MacKinnon and Makar, they have a shot. There's some work to be done, but let's not act like it's over. Is it over for Vegas? They also lost against this very good Stars team.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Dead and in dire need of a re-tool. Need to trade Rants while they can and pay someone to eat Nuke’s contract.

Landy will determine whether the Avs will rise again or will erode into obscurity.

The problem with Mack and Makar is that the Avs will never be able to properly rebuild or tank while they are breathing…

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Was it the end for Chicago, when after winning the Cup in 2010, they had consecutive first round losses in 2011 and 2012?
Was it the end for Pitsburgh, when they made it past the second round only once in the six seasons after their 2009 win, including a rather decisive beat-down by the Rangers in 2015?

Colorado still has a high-end team with elite-players. They didn't exactly lose againt rabble either, a six game series against the top team the western conference is nothing to sneeze at. They have all the means to get themselves back on track. It's a 32 team league now, even great teams will have a tough time making it to the third or fourth round now and then. Sometimes you just have the misfortune of running one another great team rather early on. Imagine what would have happened if Colorado, Detroit or Dallas gave up, just becaues they ran into each other quite often in the late 90s / early 00s.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They got Nuked. Probably don’t win anyways against this awesome Stars team but that’s just a devastating and unexpected absence midway through a series. On a team with some superstars he was often their best player.

His future and Landeskog’s unfortunate issues have unfortunately meant this team hasn’t been “whole” for a run these last two seasons. The problem is these two issues will continue to linger unless Landeskog retires.

MacK is 28. Makar is 25. Rantanen is 27. Toews is 30. Lehkonen is 28. Mittelstadt is 25.

That core is still very much in prime time but there’s definitely work to do around it. They had a great draft last year and still have their first this year. So re-filling the coffers with some higher end teenage talent has begun. But they are paying the price for poor drafts and lack of picks the previous 3-4 years with a lack of ready made plug and play guys in the AHL. They really need Kovalenko and Behrens to become contributors.

Georgiyev again provides little consistency in net, running too hot and cold to be reliable, ultimately. Stepped up last night but it wasn’t enough. At least his contract is modest. Annunen flash some good signs towards the end of the season. Goalie is a weird position. The Avs aren’t what I would call solidified but at least they don’t have a lot of dead resources invested here. People are going to try to ship guys like Jarry to the Avs in the off-season and the last thing the Avs need to do is invest multiple years and big money into a middling goalie who has shown no clutch ability that they have to tie themselves to. If they go for a fix, it should either be a short term patch like Kuemper or an all out move for a true star or top younger goalie.

Financially flexibility is entirely dependent on the Nuke and Landeskog situations.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Not sure the status on Landy and Nuke but technically they still have an awesome top-6 F, top-4 D a decent starter with a young backup so all they really need is depth. They don't have much in terms of prospects, sure, but if Ritchie/Kovalenko/Behrens and maybe one more actually hit then they'll be fine.

I could still see them being near the top of the West for 3-4 years easily

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
They just need a bit of a retool around their core. Chicago did it, they can too. The question marks that are Landeskog and Nichuskin don‘t help.

Damn, Landeskog, I remember when he was sidelined, I think he was supposed to come back late in the season. Didn't go as well as planned, I guess.

But yeah, having a guy like Landeskog in the lineup, given his style, would probably have helped a lot.

And yeah, the Avs need to figure what to do in both cases.

Now, is it a reason to blow the team up, lol no.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It doesn’t sound good for Landeskog’s career that in March there were reports he was potentially going to try to come back for the playoffs and then in April, Bednar said he “was not close”.

When we last saw him he was in the midst of his best season yet, with 41 goals and 81 points in 73 regular season and playoff games and the captain and leader of the Cup champs.

By the end of this year he will turn 32 and have missed two entire seasons. It’s such a bummer.

Reactions: hurdemz

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They were too passive in 2021. Window was wide open and didn't go for it. That year and 2022 was the years when the window was wide open.

Thankfully they won 2022, so while losing now stings the loss of Landeskog and Nichushin two years in a row are holes hard to fill.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad