End of Leafs season could last forever.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I hope he doesn't get a Twitter account and go on a Kanye West-style tweet rampage

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If the Leafs finish in the bottom 5 for 4 years with Babcock, then I might be worried.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
This is going to be his worst record for any single season of his career. With the Leafs current winning percentage it estimates the Leafs will win 10 (9.8) more games the rest of the way. However, you have to think the percentage will get worse with players being traded at the deadline plus the long term (rest of the seasoon) effects of the Phaneuf deal.

However, this is year one. He knew the Leafs were bad, and he knew they were going to get worse. When the Leafs offered him is contract he asked "Are you sure you have the stomach for this?"

Just so we're are clear.... That was Babcock who asked that to Shanahan. What kind of a man would Babcock be to ask that and after one rough season he cant handle the losing? Also, don't forget this is the most loved team the Leafs have had in a decade and they are dead last in the league. Babcock is getting off easy this year, if this was a Wilson, Carlyle, Horachek team fans would be booing like crazy.

After this year the Leafs should make marginal improvements year after year. Go from 30th to maybe 27th then to 20th, etc until they have the skill and ability to reach the playoffs. Those improvements are what I think will keep Babcock sane.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
The guy who said there would be pain? The guy who said he was fully on board with Shanahan's plan? The guy who said we're looking to build a long-term winner?

I'm going to go out on a limb and sayyy no. He's smarter than that.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This is going to be his worst record for any single season of his career. With the Leafs current winning percentage it estimates the Leafs will win 10 (9.8) more games the rest of the way. However, you have to think the percentage will get worse with players being traded at the deadline plus the long term (rest of the seasoon) effects of the Phaneuf deal.

However, this is year one. He knew the Leafs were bad, and he knew they were going to get worse. When the Leafs offered him is contract he asked "Are you sure you have the stomach for this?"

Just so we're are clear.... That was Babcock who asked that to Shanahan. What kind of a man would Babcock be to ask that and after one rough season he cant handle the losing? Also, don't forget this is the most loved team the Leafs have had in a decade and they are dead last in the league. Babcock is getting off easy this year, if this was a Wilson, Carlyle, Horachek team fans would be booing like crazy.

After this year the Leafs should make marginal improvements year after year. Go from 30th to maybe 27th then to 20th, etc until they have the skill and ability to reach the playoffs.

Loved? Are you sure? For me, I certainly don't find them 'loveable' at all. I am more apathetic than anything. There is less than a handful players on the roster right now (that includes injured players) that will still be here when the Leafs become good. There is lots of apathy at this point. That's why you don't see people booing and **** like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not everyone's as emotionally fragile as the idiots who write these kinds of articles.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Loved? Are you sure? For me, I certainly don't find them 'loveable' at all. I am more apathetic than anything. There is less than a handful players on the roster right now (that includes injured players) that will still be here when the Leafs become good. There is lots of apathy at this point. That's why you don't see people booing and **** like that.

I just don't care about 90% of this Leafs team. I think we all know it's a team of temporary place holders.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota

I'll admit that "loved" is a strong word and apathetic probably would have been a better choice, but when you read these boards during games there are a lot of people who say "I love how much more this team competes compared to last year..." blah, blah, blah.

And it did not necessarily mean that people actually love this team but it said "the most loved Leafs team in a decade." It's relative because for the most part people have been frustrated/annoyed with Leafs teams in that time span. So it's not that people actually love this team, its that they are not as annoying as previous teams.

Like if a 4ft tall person called a 4'6" person "tall." That person is not actually tall, they are just tall compared to that person who is extremely short.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'll admit that "loved" is a strong word and apathetic probably would have been a better choice, but when you read these boards during games there are a lot of people who say "I love how much more this team competes compared to last year..." blah, blah, blah.

And it did not necessarily mean that people actually love this team but it said "the most loved Leafs team in a decade." It's relative because for the most part people have been frustrated/annoyed with Leafs teams in that time span. So it's not that people actually love this team, its that they are not as annoying as previous teams.

Like if a 4ft tall person called a 4'6" person "tall." That person is not actually tall, they are just tall compared to that person who is extremely short.

OK, when I read your post again, I can see what you're saying.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Babcock never struck me as one to succumb to rough times. He very much has the attitude of working hard and being prepared will lead to success. Even after rough patches. Unfamiliar line up and too many pieces missing that bought in.

If he breaks after this rough patch he isn't the coach we thought we were hiring.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
The guy who said there would be pain? The guy who said he was fully on board with Shanahan's plan? The guy who said we're looking to build a long-term winner?

I'm going to go out on a limb and sayyy no. He's smarter than that.

Yep, and also the guy who really made sure ownership was committed to rebuilding fully, rather than taking half measures.

Not that I expect him to be happy and ecstatic about our current state on the NHL team, but he knew this would be happening when he came onboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad