Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Any sources for any of this or is it just the usual anti-Benning fan fiction?

Pretty obvious given linden's comments. He basically gave all the credit to brackett for modernizing the scouting process. Thank god for brackett saving us from another one of benning's stupid decisions.

Reactions: MS

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
It could end up being a blessing. Based on what we know Benning wanted one of the top 4 not that any of the are going badly.

* Hischier is doing well at NHL level
* Patrick is having a slow start but still in the NHL
* Heiskanen is doing very well in the Finnish league
* Makar (jury is out), U20s though he could blow everyone away.

My guess is Makar was the Canucks main target. Makar fit the biggest need and had the highest rated offensive of any Dman in the draft. For a team whose defensive was a giant black hole where production went to die it made the most sense.

All the evidence suggests Benning entertained no realistic hope of moving up and targeted Petterson as the player he wanted with the 5th pick. Talks with the Stars basically went nowhere, and Benning invited Petterson to Vancouver a month in advance of the draft, introduced him to the Sedins, and discussed him in public more than any prospect with the possible exception of Makar, and had contingency plans in place to trade down if they felt Petterson would slip, which they backed out of after the Rangers moved down to 7th. I'm not convinced Benning is a competent GM, but we can at least stick to the truth about him.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Benning had been with the team for five minutes and it's ridiculous to assert he had that much influence over that draft. As vcl said, it takes time to figure out what scouts to trust with what opinions and so forth.

....and before those 5 minutes he spent the entire year as Assistant GM of another NHL team. You think he didn't form opinions about draft eligible players during that time??? You make it sound like we found him in a Russian gulag or something.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
All the evidence suggests Benning entertained no realistic hope of moving up and targeted Petterson as the player he wanted with the 5th pick. Talks with the Stars basically went nowhere, and Benning invited Petterson to Vancouver a month in advance of the draft, introduced him to the Sedins, and discussed him in public more than any prospect with the possible exception of Makar, and had contingency plans in place to trade down if they felt Petterson would slip, which they backed out of after the Rangers moved down to 7th. I'm not convinced Benning is a competent GM, but we can at least stick to the truth about him.
Which bit of whast I said was wrong? You just backed it all up and then said it wrong. At no point did I say Pettersson wasn't his backup plan to either getting into the top 4 or a top 4 falling to him. He just wanted someone in the top 4 more, my guess is Makar.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Dahlen Petterson Boeser

he played center when he played with dahlen. he is LW now in SHL.

can easily convert.

the perfect 1st line team for the canucks. it's elite.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Horvat Boeser
Pettersson Dahlen.

spread our offensive weapons. A sniper on each line.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yeah, the Pettersson draft pick was hilarious in that "dum-dum" Benning pretty much outwitted the entire Internet fanbase and Vancouver hockey media by making it appear like he would be drafting Cody Glass, and barely mentioning Pettersson. Smart guy.
Their heightened interest in Pettersson was reported weeks before the draft during their interviews, and many people were expecting the selection. The other players mentioned with some regularity in the leadup to the draft were Makar (for their interest – most thought they couldn't get him) and Mittelstadt. And many here feared they might reach for Rasmussen. What you described didn't happen.

Reactions: racerjoe

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't recall rasmussen as more than random speculation. was there any actual bread crumb evidence we wanted him?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
i don't recall rasmussen as more than random speculation. was there any actual bread crumb evidence we wanted him?
no actual evidence. Just that Rasmussen would have been the Virtanen pick of this draft.
Imagine if we picked Rasmussen and then Pettersson gets picked next. That would be worse than Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
no actual evidence. Just that Rasmussen would have been the Virtanen pick of this draft.
Imagine if we picked Rasmussen and then Pettersson gets picked next. That would be worse than Virtanen over Ehlers/Nylander.

seems like a weird idea. canucks invite glass and pettersson to vancouver then draft rasmussen.

i can see pat quinn drafting rasmussen.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017

I think Tippet is more of the Virtanen of this draft. But I could easily see the scenario where we picked Rasmussen if we hadn’t been burned so badly with the Virtanen pick. Don’t get me wrong, I love Virtanen and I’ve made peace with the decision now.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I remember there were some who did not like this pick when it was made, they wanted glass or vilardi. Seems it went well, we should be happy with this.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I remember there were some who did not like this pick when it was made, they wanted glass or vilardi. Seems it went well, we should be happy with this.

Looked through the thread the other day and I think it’s more accurate to say many preferred another player (Glass, Vilardi, Mittelstadt) than to say they did not like the pick. Of course a few did and their reactions will be the most notable and probably repeated several times making it appear like more people straight up hated the pick. But I think it’s probably 70-80% were happy or at least satisfied with the pick. Which would make it the most liked Benning pick, edging out Boeser and destroying Virtanen and Juolevi which were predominantly negative.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

What was your selection pre-draft?

Not that easily. Guys like Linden that were able to do it are the exception rather than the rule.

Agreed. I think we may have to start looking at Pettersson as more a future winger rather than a centre. It's not an easy thing to find and groom centres. Some have strength issues, as is part of the case here. Some have defensive IQ issues. Face off issues, etc... Some are just better at wing than at centre. We can't really argue with EP's results at RW. Then again, I wish they would try him more at C so that we can evaluate the difference.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

I can't recall anything except the bleatings from the [MOD] group here...mostly the same ones who were freaking out in 2015 that we would take Brandon Carlo at 23.

Last edited by a moderator:

lawrence

May 19, 2012

canucks had him ranked 4th overall under the 2 way player category behind Pettersson at their mid term report.

although behind cut from team Canada, he's having one hell of a season.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
What was your selection pre-draft?

Agreed. I think we may have to start looking at Pettersson as more a future winger rather than a centre. It's not an easy thing to find and groom centres. Some have strength issues, as is part of the case here. Some have defensive IQ issues. Face off issues, etc... Some are just better at wing than at centre. We can't really argue with EP's results at RW. Then again, I wish they would try him more at C so that we can evaluate the difference.
He should play C in the WJC, and he has started playing some C in the SHL recently. I think playing wing was a way to ease him into the league, he should get more time at C going forward.
I'm kind of worried about him in the WJC though, not playing much C in the SHL and being thrown to top line C in a tournament, might be tough for him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

can't be further from the truth. They don't even play similar games.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

well being old and boring, my response was hmmm why Pettersson. didn't cry, didn't froth at the mouth, and said well lets we what we have got here. Now a very pleasant surprise ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce