Elias Pettersson.. Playoff Ghost

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
2022-23 Season: 1.28 pts/gp
2023-24 Season (Before Contract): 1.21 pts/gp
2023-24 Season (After Contract): 0.70 pts/gp
2023-24 Playoffs: 0.46 pts/gp

Better hope he's been playing through something, because it's otherwise pretty concerning.

That looks pretty bad presented this way lol

He gets the benefit of the doubt from me though. He was quite good in his first playoff run a few years ago. Maybe he's injured, or maybe an off year/run. So long as he bounces back next year it's fine, and I think he will

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Disappointing playoffs, but it was clear something was up with him before ever stepping into the post season so I don't really thingk it was the stage that got to him. Before this season he was roughly ppg in 18gp in the playoffs.

I also don't think he's the type to phone it in after getting paid, throughout his career he's wanted to win badly.

Obviously time will tell, but I'm sure this is just a learning opportunity more than a trend.

Reactions: johan f

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Blowing a series lead is when you lose that series at the end, it‘s not rocket science. Maybe in Toronto you call coming back from 3-1 to 3-3 a victory in a series, but no one else does.

Blowing a lead is when you allow your opponent to tie a game or series, especially if it's by multiple goals or games (win or lose)... It's not rocket science.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Seemed like he had the yips more than being soft or anything like that... just seemed like every bounce, every decision, everything was just going wrong for him.

The only time I really noticed a lack of engagement from him was on the forecheck. I thought there were a number of times throughout the series where an Oilers defenceman just skated right around him with essentially no resistance. That needs to be eliminated from his game.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Blowing a lead is when you allow your opponent to tie a game or series, especially if it's by multiple goals or games (win or lose)... It's not rocket science.
A lead is not blown if the outcome is the same as if you didn‘t let the team come back in the series. It‘s the final outcome that makes it blown or not. Again, not rocket science.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Man, getting generational wealth from a club after playing poorly for months before signing is something else. Can't blame the guy, but you sure as f*** should blame management for not waiting.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Seemed like he had the yips more than being soft or anything like that... just seemed like every bounce, every decision, everything was just going wrong for him.

The only time I really noticed a lack of engagement from him was on the forecheck. I thought there were a number of times throughout the series where an Oilers defenceman just skated right around him with essentially no resistance. That needs to be eliminated from his game.
There are talks that he may be dealing with a knee injury/issue, that may explain some of his hesitance/slow mobility when on the forecheck.

Elias Pettersson = Marner 2.0
No. He had one bad year, and his other post season was fairly solid.

While Marner has been disappointing for years. Bad take.

• Haha
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was always the most overrated player on these boards, and his so-called "brilliance" was constantly forced upon everyone, often used to undermine the reputations of far better players.

His performance reflects the drivel his supporters have displayed over the years.
Sure if only EP40 was as good as Lundell eh?.................

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Needs to have a dedicated offseason towards improving his strength and balance, falls easily from light checks, maybe the Sedins can assist him they had incredible skating balance.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I was told before this series by TSN’s Nucks homer Farhaan Lalji that EP40 “sees plays no one else can see” and that he could take over games like not many in the game.

I was lied to. And so was the entirely of Nucks Nation.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can’t wait till Pettersson pulls a Datsyuk. The kid isn’t the type to disappear like this. He’ll improve and come back stronger.

My biggest worry is that he’s just not built for dump and chase hockey which is what Tocchet’s system relies on. The moment we start going for regular zone entries near the end of games he turns into a different player.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Elias Pettersson = Marner 2.0
Very similar players, with exception EP shoots more and hits more. But generally:

- Similar salary of about $11M/yr
- Same long contracts (MM coming off next year)
- Both prefer passing
- Both dont like to get hit or gets hands dirty, especially in playoffs
- Both not the types of players to motivate the team with a burning desire to win
- Any fancy passing and zipping around racking up pts in regular season drops during tougher playoff style by opposing teams, and they have trouble adapting. Heck, Conor Garland was more noticeable trying to spark the offence and he's only 5'10 and most pts he ever got in a season is 52

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
How the hell are we gonna call someone a playoff ghost based on 13 games. This board is way, way, way too freaking obsessed with labeling guys as playoff chokers when the vast majority of players basically even out to the same as their regular season numbers over time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad