Elias Pettersson.. Playoff Ghost

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
As a leaffan i trade him for Marner in a heart beat.

You lost because of collective playing like ass. Exactly like when Toronto played there worst games in the Boston series. They out hit Boston, but shot less and blocked way less shots. If they had equally blocked shots they would have equally shot total, and probably same goal total at least.

Oilers 21 blocked shots, Vancouver 8. Match that and you would have way bigger chance of winning.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

You lost because of collective playing like ass. Exactly like when Toronto played there worst games in the Boston series. They out hit Boston, but shot less and blocked way less shots. If they had equally blocked shots they would have equally shot total, and probably same goal total at least.

Oilers 21 blocked shots, Vancouver 8. Match that and you would have way bigger chance of winning.
EP is not the answer for Toronto.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

If team x played better, they would have eliminated team y. That‘s what happens to ALL series. In Toronto‘s case vs Boston, it‘s 65 years that Toronto needs to play better vs Boston in order to eliminate them.

• Love
Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013

is this Shanahan? Why tf would you trade for pettersson, who's the same type of player as marner. Another softie built for the regular season player. You need a jt miller not a pettersson.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
is this Shanahan? Why tf would you trade for pettersson, who's the same type of player as marner. Another softie built for the regular season player. You need a jt miller not a pettersson.
1st you will probably eat these words one day.

2nd Marner has had way more playoffs, there for, time to adjust. Has not happened. And have never played that much on a third line.

3rd Pettersson is younger, and have made progress before when needed, during the summer.

4th a center

5 More fun in media, and more responsible when playing bad.

6Got the alien stare vs Baby stare.

7 I am not Shanahan, but i wish i had his money. Since you dont need to be in Toronto, i can work from Sweden. No problem.

8 a center who can play with Nylander instead of Tavares. (i know a wrote it twice, but thats how important that is)

I would rather take Miller but that aint the complain on EP. The complain is that he is a Marner type player, well lets switch and see. Thats my point.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If team x played better, they would have eliminated team y. That‘s what happens to ALL series. In Toronto‘s case vs Boston, it‘s 65 years that Toronto needs to play better vs Boston in order to eliminate them.
I did not make excuse for anything. I simply stated. That it seems that when blocking shots, and getting through blocks, is a prio, instead of being hard hitting, you are more likely to win. When Toronto was better at blocking shots the games was way closer. I wish they pick up on that, instead of being a hardhitting team, thats all. Or just better at both.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
1st you will probably eat these words one day.

2nd Marner has had way more playoffs, there for, time to adjust. Has not happened. And have never played that much on a third line.

3rd Pettersson is younger, and have made progress before when needed, during the summer.

4th a center

5 More fun in media, and more responsible when playing bad.

6Got the alien stare vs Baby stare.

7 I am not Shanahan, but i wish i had his money. Since you dont need to be in Toronto, i can work from Sweden. No problem.

8 a center who can play with Nylander instead of Tavares. (i know a wrote it twice, but thats how important that is)

I would rather take Miller but that aint the complain on EP. The complain is that he is a Marner type player, well lets switch and see. Thats my point.
1 nah I don't think toronto is going to part with marner only to grab a forward that costs the same amount of money. They need defense/goaltending. So I most likely won't be eating any words.

2 true, and pettersson has the bubble playoffs where he played quite well, but it seems odd how he was whining about wanting to wait to sign a contract because he wasn't sure if vancouver was a contender, then in the most important moments in the playoffs he squanders it

3 older by a year and a half, not much difference

4 true

5 marner does suck with the media, but when you're paying a player 11 million dollars, being good with the media is not much a concern compared to on ice production

6 true I prefer alien to baby

7 I wish I had his money too

8 they might play well together, being 2 swedes and all, but toronto does not want another forward that costs an arm and a leg

9 miller has the fire, he has drive and passion behind his bozo antics. elias is a alien robot. We can wait and see, but we've just seen how he produces when everything is on the line. Similar to marner he comes up short. Is he Marner? No. But he needs to step it up next year.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Or- hear me out- you get both of them.

1) regular season would be amazing, and there’d be Harlem globetrotter goals.
2) it’d be hilarious come playoffs.
3) that’s really all I got, I just want chaos.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
1 nah I don't think toronto is going to part with marner only to grab a forward that costs the same amount of money. They need defense/goaltending. So I most likely won't be eating any words.
They literally only scored 12 goals in 7 games.
That's not even a 2 goal per game clip.

They need to generate offence. I don't think EP is the answer unless he figures shit out, but their problems were a complete lack of scoring.

Hate to say it, but I kinda feel like this is 100% on coaching.
If 'the answer' is asking Marner to win board battles, backcheck, and play defensively sound hockey, then I'm not sure they're using Marner properly.

The other sad part, is I don't think Berube would use Marner properly either.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
They literally only scored 12 goals in 7 games.
That's not even a 2 goal per game clip.

They need to generate offence. I don't think EP is the answer unless he figures shit out, but their problems were a complete lack of scoring.

Hate to say it, but I kinda feel like this is 100% on coaching.
If 'the answer' is asking Marner to win board battles, backcheck, and play defensively sound hockey, then I'm not sure they're using Marner properly.

The other sad part, is I don't think Berube would use Marner properly either.
they normally generate more offense than that but Swayman had their number. But you're right their offense definitely sucked too.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its too bad he didnt play this year, games are more fun when the best players are playing. hopefully he heals from whatever kept him out of the lineup and next year we get to see him

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!

so you'd trade a dud playoff player for a dud playoff player?... wut?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Productive but not effective.

My friends and I have fun making lists of top tens at each position each offseason. They regularly include him around 5, I don't have him on my lists. They think it's ridiculous that I include Eichel, I feel EP isn't top 10.

He's among the most skilled players in the league but he definitely isn't the player I'd spend 11.6 million per year on.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
2022-23 Season: 1.28 pts/gp
2023-24 Season (Before Contract): 1.21 pts/gp
2023-24 Season (After Contract): 0.70 pts/gp
2023-24 Playoffs: 0.46 pts/gp

Better hope he's been playing through something, because it's otherwise pretty concerning.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

And maybe if Boston stops blowing 3-1 series leads, they'll be a dynasty.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
they normally generate more offense than that but Swayman had their number. But you're right their offense definitely sucked too.
I hate the Leafs, and indifferent about the Bruins but I still wanted to watch (more to confirm my suspicion on a few things).

Keefe got the Leafs to playi a rigid system that requires everyone grind out wins through commitment to battling for the puck in corners, taking hits to make space, and mucking things up in scrums.

And just like Tippett and Tmac, he refused to adapt. He doubled down on everyone trying to get complete buyin from EVERYONE to play stingy hockey with little to no space, and every inch of ice contested in a physical battle.

For the life of me, I can't remember Pat Kane or Jonathan Marchessault playing like that. It seemed like Quenville and Cassidy did everything they could to get their diminutive star players more space, and designed plays and systems that got these smaller skilled guys behind the defense.

Marner is built like a 17 year old highschooler. Why the f*** would you get him to play a physical hard-nosed brand of hockey?

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Certainly some concerns here as he played without energy and confidence which led to tentative scared stiff play but he's shown in the past and by the end of this series he has a lot more to offer and will be fine as long as he grows and just moves his feet and plays his game.

Needs a sport psychologist as this was the 2nd time both after contracts that he got into his own head and heaped maybe unrealistic expectations or pressure on himself and moved away from what has made him successful. Some further strength development will help also.

Some of the scoring issues are related to his poor line mates but he needs to be much better or that contract will age like milk

Reactions: I am toxic

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
4yyjn0.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad