Player Discussion Elias Lindholm

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Never want to see a player struggle with injury. It sucks for them, especially in a contract year.

That said, he might now be in a position to only ask for a contract that more closely matches where he is at physicaly at this stage of his career. Not sure many teams will be willing to pay up hoping that he'll regain a 60+pt pace. He is closer to a 40 pt guy right now who is defensively responsible.

He is actually almost a perfect 3C if he's willing to take a contract that matches that level.
While that's true and I agree, if the rumors are true that he was offered a big contract and rejected it, then it's going to be hard for him to take 4 mil less. He might be one of those guys that sits as a UFA for a while before getting a contract

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
When did he get his injury? Was this something that happened in Calgary that Allvin should have known about?

I think this underscores one key aspect of aquiring players - it's usually a mistake to expect any player having a lousy year and playing poorly to turn things around with a new team.

Benning made this mistake consistently by trading or signing for players whose best years were behind them (OEL, Loui Eriksson) or expecting them to find a new gear (Sutter, maybe Gud) once they got to Vancouver.

With Lindholm you have a guy who played below his expected level all year, in a massive UFA contract year. That should have been a massive red flag. If he was having such a year when he should have had all the motivation to have a great year, that's a problem.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
They should just use him in a shutdown 3C role. He doesn't have the chops for a top six role anymore. That's the only place he's been effective.

When did he get his injury? Was this something that happened in Calgary that Allvin should have known about?

I think this underscores one key aspect of aquiring players - it's usually a mistake to expect any player having a lousy year and playing poorly to turn things around with a new team.

Benning made this mistake consistently by trading or signing for players whose best years were behind them (OEL, Loui Eriksson) or expecting them to find a new gear (Sutter, maybe Gud) once they got to Vancouver.

With Lindholm you have a guy who played below his expected level all year, in a massive UFA contract year. That should have been a massive red flag. If he was having such a year when he should have had all the motivation to have a great year, that's a problem.

This smells exactly like an Aquilini decision

Reactions: Indiana

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
While that's true and I agree, if the rumors are true that he was offered a big contract and rejected it, then it's going to be hard for him to take 4 mil less. He might be one of those guys that sits as a UFA for a while before getting a contract
....and then signs a 1 year $3M deal. It's happened before.

Reactions: geebster

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Do people forget he left the bench the game before TDL?

And he wasn’t really involved in a hit the shift before he left which is why people were confused at the time so the hand/finger/wrist injury makes sense. Maybe he took a slash off a faceoff or while battling for position or something

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Do people forget he left the bench the game before TDL?

And he wasn’t really involved in a hit the shift before he left which is why people were confused at the time so the hand/finger/wrist injury makes sense. Maybe he took a slash off a faceoff or while battling for position or something

It's weird.

He was rumored to have been hurt in a game back in late November 2022 and again in December 2023 but never really took any time off or saw his minutes get scaled back. The eye test and his stat line really show a regression but it will be tricky to determine if this is injury related or if it was purely a decline due to the Gaudreau/Tkachuk factor.

Reactions: Nucker101

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

It appears as though it was the 9th game of the season he hurt his lower back/hip area.

I’ll try and link the video.

He had 4 goals and 6 points in 8 games before that after coming over in the trade.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
If he was healthy he's exactly the top 6 Player we need, it's seems obvious that he's going to play through an injury after consulting doctors. Probably feels the need to since it's a contract year.

In hindsight it's a bad trade but if Lindholm was healthy and playing to the level he was playing at the first 7-9 games with us we would be a lot better, ashame the injury bug got to him.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wait. So if he was injured before we traded for him, was the injury disclosed by Calgary? We paid a big price for him.

Reactions: theguardianII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Never want to see a player struggle with injury. It sucks for them, especially in a contract year.

That said, he might now be in a position to only ask for a contract that more closely matches where he is at physicaly at this stage of his career. Not sure many teams will be willing to pay up hoping that he'll regain a 60+pt pace. He is closer to a 40 pt guy right now who is defensively responsible.

He is actually almost a perfect 3C if he's willing to take a contract that matches that level.

I am thinking management was looking to offer him their lowball Horvat money. Not sure about now though.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It appears as though it was the 9th game of the season he hurt his lower back/hip area.

I’ll try and link the video.

He had 4 goals and 6 points in 8 games before that after coming over in the trade.

It is pretty clear now that it was his wrist although that video does show he could have got a hip pointer. The y would not want that publicized because it could be targeted very easily but Lindholm has stated it was a "brutal" wrist injury.
FYI about hip pointers;
Recovery time for a hip pointer varies from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the severity.

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
You probably were a little bit naughty while at it too. ;)
not really… nobody believed i’m a canucks fan and said i was trolling. when in fact, i’m a massive canucks fan that retired in florida, even flew out to vegas to watch that disappointing loss recently. apparently saying a trade is bad makes you not a fan around here.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
look at the lindholm trade announcement thread and you’ll see , pure comedy. i’m locked from commenting on it to bump the evidence.
Checking your post history you seem really adamant on multiple topics to prove your predictions were right. Perhaps it's the way you went about it? Flexing repeatedly about making a correct assessment on a message board is a little cringe.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Checking your post history you seem really adamant on multiple topics to prove your predictions were right. Perhaps it's the way you went about it? Flexing repeatedly about making a correct assessment on a message board is a little cringe.

Who cares about being right or wrong now, i think the right course of action is to shut him down until the playoffs.

Reactions: Huggy43

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
not really… nobody believed i’m a canucks fan and said i was trolling. when in fact, i’m a massive canucks fan that retired in florida, even flew out to vegas to watch that disappointing loss recently. apparently saying a trade is bad makes you not a fan around here.
I mean it’s so obvious that Lindholm would get a wrist injury limiting is availability and effectiveness.

This

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Im going to keep to my earlier position that you did some other shit too.

Reactions: Lindgren

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
If he was healthy he's exactly the top 6 Player we need, it's seems obvious that he's going to play through an injury after consulting doctors. Probably feels the need to since it's a contract year.

In hindsight it's a bad trade but if Lindholm was healthy and playing to the level he was playing at the first 7-9 games with us we would be a lot better, ashame the injury bug got to him.

he's played bad alll season; his sucking isn't injury related

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad