ELC & Jesse Puljujärvi

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
At this point he can't go down because theres nobody to fill his spot anyways.

If Eberle can't get going in the next game or two, I honestly wouldnt mind trying him with Mcdavid and putting Eberle with RNH and Pouliot and moving Kassian down to the third line.

Every game he gets better and you cant tell me hes more of a defensive liability than Eberle right now.

I also like that he shoots often and quickly from anywhere. More guys on this team could learn from that.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
it was mentioned on a broadcast that jesse is attending english classes at a high school, and they're looking to get him comfortable. Maybe 40 games is his tryout, but I'd be shocked it he went down at 9. Consistently improving too, to the point where he looks liek an nhl player

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He is slowly getting better each game, more and more comfortable.

The third line is great to ease him in. Todd seems to be juggling the lines but he has a decent center in Drai or RNH to perform with. Todd will let him play with McDavid the odd time this season too I imagine.

Although in Bakersfield he'd be getting 4+ minutes a night also. Lesser competition though so is there really a point at this stage is my concern. He will only continue elevating his game.

Last edited:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
He is slowly getting better each game, more and more comfortable.

The third line is great to ease him in. Todd seems to be juggling the lines but he has a decent center in Drai or RNH to perform with. Todd will let him play with McDavid the odd time this season too I imagine.

Although in Bakersfield he'd be getting 4+ minutes a night also. Lesser competition though so is there really a point at this stage is my concern. He will only continue elevating his game.

No sense in sending him down if he maintains the performance he illustrated today. I think McLellan mentioned during the preseason that Pulju is the type of player that performs better in a structured system, so I am not sure how much more the AHL would help in developing his game for the NHL. Mclellan also mentioned that the NHL can be looked at as development league as there is an influx of younger players; so long as the player shows improvement through out the season they can develop in the NHL. He had him closing out the game in the last 2 minutes of a tie game on the road so that shows Pulju's game has matured and is trusted by his coach.

I get the feeling his due to explode offensively very soon and have a massive game hopefully it comes against the Rangers tomorrow.:naughty:

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
I'd keep him up, think he learns more by staying in the bigs. Maybe try to get him some more time with McDavid, but this has more to do with my dislike of Eberle with McDavid than it does with Pulju. I think ebs would work best with nuge and pouliot.
Like Crosby, i don't think McDavid needs high skilled players with him for the line to be successful.
Any of Pulju, kassian or even Pitlick might be a better fit with McDavid. You never know until u try.

PossessedHockeyCard*

Aug 11, 2016
Edmonton
I want to see him play with McDavid. Eberle needs to step down and play with Nuge, to benefit the both of them.
Jesse is fast, and hungry. He needs to start producing to gain that swagger and confidence, and Connor is just the man to unlock that beast

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'm on board with sending him down at nine games.

Slepy has looked good and Khaira has been lighting it up in Bako, so they have suitable replacements for him.

Keep your options open. Nothing says you can't bring him back up if he's looking too good for the AHL.

That's how I feel. send him down. let him work on getting used to the north American culture, the language, communication.
work on his game and bring him back up after Christmas if he's looking good.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I had to wake up early and couldn't watch the last game, as it was the middle of the night here. However, I checked the comments quickly and it looked pretty good for JP. Did he hit the post again or was it something else this time? That would make it already three posts in three consecutive games for him.

Finnish media is following especially the young Finns quite closely and while at first they considered Pulju's performances quite promising for someone so young, they thought AHL is a very possible destination at this stage. However, in the last games the tone has been different and now they wrote Puljujarvi was one of the freshest guys in the game and that you can tell easily that the confidence is getting back. There's also a few comments from Pulju in the article:

"It felt good to play. Of course it's a shame we couldn't "dig" the victory. The points would have been on offer".

To the returning confidence he replied: "That's how it is. With better confidence you get also more ice time. That's when you get inside the game better and it's nicer to get onto the ice to play with your strengths."

"From that one-timer (on 3rd period) I should've put the puck into the net"

"The main thing is that you get to play. The results will certainly start to come. It's strange if you don't score with this amount of shots".

The article also said that with no surprise Pulju will play the 10th game in this tour, which would mean starting the entry contract. "We haven't talked with the coaches, but we'll see. I know that tomorrow we have a day off (no game) in NY before Thursday's game against Rangers."

I hope translating the article in this thread was okay.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I had to wake up early and couldn't watch the last game, as it was the middle of the night here. However, I checked the comments quickly and it looked pretty good for JP. Did he hit the post again or was it something else this time? That would make it already three posts in three consecutive games for him.

Finnish media is following especially the young Finns quite closely and while at first they considered Pulju's performances quite promising for someone so young, they thought AHL is a very possible destination at this stage. However, in the last games the tone has been different and now they wrote Puljujarvi was one of the freshest guys in the game and that you can tell easily that the confidence is getting back. There's also a few comments from Pulju in the article:

"It felt good to play. Of course it's a shame we couldn't "dig" the victory. The points would have been on offer".

To the returning confidence he replied: "That's how it is. With better confidence you get also more ice time. That's when you get inside the game better and it's nicer to get onto the ice to play with your strengths."

"From that one-timer (on 3rd period) I should've put the puck into the net"

"The main thing is that you get to play. The results will certainly start to come. It's strange if you don't score with this amount of shots".

The article also said that with no surprise Pulju will play the 10th game in this tour, which would mean starting the entry contract. "We haven't talked with the coaches, but we'll see. I know that tomorrow we have a day off (no game) in NY before Thursday's game against Rangers."

I hope translating the article in this thread was okay.

Thanks for the Finnish translation, we're glad to have our Finnish brothers with us :yo:.

Pulju was the best rookie amongst Marner, Matthews, and himself. 7 shots, over 70% Corsi for at 5 on 5. Probably his best game as an Oiler. He also played nearly 16 minutes.

Personally, after seeing him and McDavid show chemistry in the limited minutes they've touched the ice together, I want to see Pulju playing with McDavid soon. We all know Pulju is McDavids future RWer, but at this point if Eberle doesn't step it up, then McDavid and Pulju should be put together right now as they will be a C-RW combination for many, many years to come.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'd just like to see them try

Lucic - McDavid - Pulju
Pou - RNH - Eberle
Maroon - Drai - Kassian

Lucic/Maroon could be swapped if needed. RNH has been really good this year but his linemates have lacked offense so moving Eberle there could be good for RNH. Eberle I think has looked better this year, seems more competitive but his production has been lacking considering hes been playing with McDavid. I dont just see the problem trying Pulju with McDavid, try to give the kid some more confidence. Laines getting first line minutes and Matthews isnt getting soft minutes. I mean if Pulju looks out of place with McDavid then fix the lines but McCellan seems so rigid with his lines.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Thanks for the Finnish translation, we're glad to have our Finnish brothers with us :yo:.

Pulju was the best rookie amongst Marner, Matthews, and himself. 7 shots, over 70% Corsi for at 5 on 5. Probably his best game as an Oiler. He also played nearly 16 minutes.

Personally, after seeing him and McDavid show chemistry in the limited minutes they've touched the ice together, I want to see Pulju playing with McDavid soon. We all know Pulju is McDavids future RWer, but at this point if Eberle doesn't step it up, then McDavid and Pulju should be put together right now as they will be a C-RW combination for many, many years to come.

Thank you, despite joining only recently I already feel very welcome here :hockey:

Like I've written earlier I think it's just natural that it takes a bit of time to get used to NHL. That's what happens after not much experience in a small rink and a broken summer with an injury.

I'm glad to see he's slowly stealing a place from the roster. I honestly think it would be a terrible waste of talent to send him to AHL at this time, but of course it's not up to me.

I still think some of you don't Really realize how lucky you were to get him at #4. I hope that you guys have patience with him even if he does have occasional games that are not quite that good. I think that is something to be expected with an 18-year-old kid, not just with Pulju but also the other high picks of this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad