ELC & Jesse Puljujärvi

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Pretty sure a year of ELC is burnt regardless of him playing in NHL or AHL.

He has improved quite a bit since the beginning of the season. But he still reminds me of a less spazzy Yakupov out there.

I think he does need some time in the AHL to get some calmness to his game, I think it is a little fast for him right now.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

He has improved quite a bit since the beginning of the season. But he still reminds me of a less spazzy Yakupov out there.

I think he does need some time in the AHL to get some calmness to his game, I think it is a little fast for him right now.

Huh? Why would you say that?

I would have liked to see him with someone who would carry the puck like McD. They seemed to have chemistry in the limited time together. To me it is clear he needs shelter and playing with McD would do that. Let him get open and use his one timer. Build confidence.

Unfortunately he only has a couple of games left... thus... I'd probably send him down for 20-30 games and then consider burning the year if injury strikes and he's been feasting in the AHL.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

Nope. It is a rare occurrence, but if he is sent down, his contract slides, even though he is being paid.

https://www.capfriendly.com/slides/2016

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
More concerned about the 40 game mark.

Hes improving each game. But we need to make room for the Drake

Caggiula has been out so long he'll be going to Bako whenever he's healthy. Can't expect a rookie to come in and play at this level after that much time off. And I agree the 40 game mark is much more important, could actually benifit the team if they can get him on a long term deal sooner as it could be a cheaper deal.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I would like to send him down right now. He has improved and there really is no issue with him being here BUT I think Slepyshev has been better and when injuries inevitably hit us hard down the line I would prefer to play him up here then.

If he stays that is okay to but Id rather him playing big minutes down there and Slepyshev playing more here

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
More concerned about the 40 game mark.

Hes improving each game. But we need to make room for the Drake

They don't need to make room for a guy that scored a few goals against skeleton preseason rosters and is just returning from injury. Cagguila should start in the AHL for at least a few games to get up to speed and if he proves to be too good for that league, call him up.

Slepyshev should be in place of Puljujarvi. I firmly believe that he would help the Oilers more than Pulju would right now. Pulju could most definitely use some seasoning in the AHL. It would be nice to put off his 2nd contract for another year and use his ELC years more productively.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Negative.

He will still get paid as per his ELC but the Oilers will still have 3 years of ELC. IIRC.

HE has looked better and better each game...just needs some confidence that he can play at this level..because he can. AHL time will do him good.

How far along is Drake from returning?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
He's improving, but I'd like to Slepyshev get a few more games on this road trip.

What happens when both Hendricks and Pakarinen come back? I assume that The Drake goes down as soon as he's healthy. It's a lot to ask of any rookie to step into his first regular season game after everyone's been playing for a month.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I think sending him down is the best option. No point wasting a year of his ELC and RFA year for 30 games.
But then again, we have no one to replace him. Pakarinen still out, Hendo and Drake too. Slepy and Khaira (maybe?) only options

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think sending him down is the best option. No point wasting a year of his ELC and RFA year for 30 games.
But then again, we have no one to replace him. Pakarinen still out, Hendo and Drake too. Slepy and Khaira (maybe?) only options

Somebody wrote earlier that in this case it would not be possible to send Puljuarvi to AHL without offering him to his team Kärpät in FEL first. I've got no idea if this is true, but according to what I read this applied to Pulju's case because of his young age.

In practise it's almost impossible to imagine him playing in Finland for the rest of the season, but we sure could use him here :D

If you do decide to send him to AHL it would've been great to see him with McDavid before that. Am I right that they've only played together for about a minute, during which they already scored? Who was Puljujarvi playing with in the last game when he hit the post again? Give him some time with McDavid and on PP and then you have my permission to send him down ;)

Last edited:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well, I'd say there's about a 1% chance that he'd actually be down there the entire year so it doesn't really matter if we send him down now, or in a month when he's actually struggling.

I'd wait. He's looked good enough to stick around and continue to learn in the bigs. I don't see his confidence dropping yet, and he's had some good looks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is improving and if he's a RFA a year earlier it likely means a cheaper 2nd contract.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm on board with sending him down at nine games.

Slepy has looked good and Khaira has been lighting it up in Bako, so they have suitable replacements for him.

Keep your options open. Nothing says you can't bring him back up if he's looking too good for the AHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The 9 games is not an issue to me whatsoever. Do people honestly think even if he goes to AHL before 9 games he will stay there for rest of season and never come up again this year? Not a chance. Hell either force his way onto team ala LD last year or be called up for injuries. Hes playing more than 9 games in NHL this year. Simple as that

Let him stay up. Hes progressing pretty well. Let him learn NHL systems and speed. Let him learn to get shots on NHL D and how to score on NHL goalies. Dude has played in FEL for 2 years, he knows how ot shot on lesser D. AHL is really only good for transitioning guys to pro hockey and for having a place for your extra guys. Its not a great development league some think it is. Best learning opportunity is on the job. You dont learn to be a CEO by scrubbing toilets

40 game is a more legit concern to me. But I forecast that by game 40 hell be a top 6 player. Hes been tracking pretty well and getting better each game.

Drasaitl was rushed to NHL after being drafted and the only reason he got sent back before game 40 was because he couldnt skate at NHL level.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
When you compare Puljujarvi to other high picks one should remember to take into consideration the time on the ice and PP.

Auston Matthews has scored 6+4 in nine games. Of these 1+3 was on powerplay, leaving quite nice 5+1 on 5vs5. Matthews' complete ice time has been about 154 minutes so far.

Patrik Laine has scored 6+2 in nine games, of which 4+1 was on powerplay. That leaves 1+1 on 5vs5, and actually the one goal may have been done 6vs5. Altogether he has played about 174 minutes.

Jesse Puljujarvi has scored 1+1 in seven games. Of this 0+1 on PP. Puljujarvi's ice time has been 82 minutes and he hasn't had much PP time.

According to these it's not wrong to say that Matthews has been very solid 5vs5 and on PP, while Laine has been terrific on PP but not so outstanding 5 on 5 (especially with a couple of mistakes that have cost Winnipeg goals).

What I'm trying to say here is Puljujarvi has had less than half of Laine's ice time and not much PP time at all, so it's impossible to say what his scores might be at a similar position. That's what I'd personally like to know before sending him to AHL, because I'd like that if he goes to AHL (and thus possibly slows down in developing) the reason will be right. In the light of these statistics his statistics don't look so bad (and they'd look better with more luck with either of the rim shots). Please correct me if I made a mistake with the statistics. I was curious to check this as in another thread one Enthusiastic Laine fan was raising Laine so much above Pulju. I am trying to avoid comparison, but I think the statistics are telling something here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Does the 40 game mark have some specific relevance with respect to ELCs that I am unaware of?

Counts as a year towards UFA. You need 7 to be a UFA.

9 game mark is for ELC. Like someone said above this can be a blessing and curse. On bad note you pay more earlier. On good side they have to sign 2nd contract earlier and have a season less to develop and possibly break out

I think the 40 game one is more dangerous myself

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Counts as a year towards UFA. You need 7 to be a UFA.

9 game mark is for ELC. Like someone said above this can be a blessing and curse. On bad note you pay more earlier. On good side they have to sign 2nd contract earlier and have a season less to develop and possibly break out

I think the 40 game one is more dangerous myself

Didn't know that. Thanks.

I agree the 40 game mark can have more serious effects in a cap world, especially with top prospects who become impact players sooner.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
I've liked the progress so far so I will have no complaints if coaching and management think it is in his best interests to remain on the big club in the meantime.

It's important to remember they are basing their decision on a lot more information than just his play in 7 games so far.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have less concerns with keeping JP up than I do Nurse. And that's not saying I have any concerns over Nurse now that he has settled into the season after a bumpy start.

It's just that as a winger playing somewhat sheltered he has shown enough not be a liability out there.

Having said that, we do have a lot of guys that can play as well or better. Just depends on his role.

Pitlick and Slepy have both been good. Slepy needs to be playing somewhere regularly.

Hendricks and Cagullia play different wings/positions but will need to be worked into the line up as well.

And we still have Paka coming back eventually as well.

Taking all that into consideration as long as some of those guys are due back sometime soon I imagine he will be sent down.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
When you compare Puljujarvi to other high picks one should remember to take into consideration the time on the ice and PP.

Auston Matthews has scored 6+4 in nine games. Of these 1+3 was on powerplay, leaving quite nice 5+1 on 5vs5. Matthews' complete ice time has been about 154 minutes so far.

Patrik Laine has scored 6+2 in nine games, of which 4+1 was on powerplay. That leaves 1+1 on 5vs5, and actually the one goal may have been done 6vs5. Altogether he has played about 174 minutes.

Jesse Puljujarvi has scored 1+1 in seven games. Of this 0+1 on PP. Puljujarvi's ice time has been 82 minutes and he hasn't had much PP time.

According to these it's not wrong to say that Matthews has been very solid 5vs5 and on PP, while Laine has been terrific on PP but not so outstanding 5 on 5 (especially with a couple of mistakes that have cost Winnipeg goals).

What I'm trying to say here is Puljujarvi has had less than half of Laine's ice time and not much PP time at all, so it's impossible to say what his scores might be at a similar position. That's what I'd personally like to know before sending him to AHL, because I'd like that if he goes to AHL (and thus possibly slows down in developing) the reason will be right. In the light of these statistics his statistics don't look so bad (and they'd look better with more luck with either of the rim shots). Please correct me if I made a mistake with the statistics. I was curious to check this as in another thread one Enthusiastic Laine fan was raising Laine so much above Pulju. I am trying to avoid comparison, but I think the statistics are telling something here.

It's really difficult to get an accurate comparison between the two with their current roles and playing time. Also, wasn't Laine coming off the World Cup of Hockey before entering the season, while Puljujarvi was just starting to skate coming off a knee surgery? We're not really relying on Pulju for huge offensive production right now as our forward group can score at an elite level; we're still waiting on RNH to go off. Pulju is expected to be McDavids long term winger and we already got a glimpse at is elite speed on a quick give in go with McDavid that led to a goal off a rebound. I wouldn't be surprised if Laine has better rookie year, but when Pulju gets fully acclimated to the NA rink and starts to get comfortable all bets are off who will be the better player.

Note: Puljujarvi doesn't have to play with McDavid to dominate as any of our 3 centres, Drai and RNH can help him become a lethal offensive player.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I originally wanted them to send PJ down, but I think he's shown enough to stick with the team, provided he's only playing ~10 minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does the 9 game thing even matter?

If he goes down to the AHL it burns a year of his ELC no matter what, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad