OT: El Lounge-o Partie XLII: New Year, New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Maybe he doesn't wish to have one anymore, but he used to.

Well.

[I didn't mind snow until I had a car.] - past tense across the board

[I mind it less now that I have a 4x4 but I wished I had an indoor parking spot.] - full-on switch to present stuff... I wish I had is correct :)

I'm sure it was it was a mental typo though. An indoor parking spot is such a nice thing to have in Jan and Feb... at work and at home. If we were to sell the bigger things in the garage we'd have one at home, but the wife's Mazda would have priority... :skeptic:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Maybe someone can give me advice about how to help out a cat, as I know nothing about such issues.

The situation: There has been a cat hanging around in my backyard for the last week or so, and he is constantly "meow'ing" (miauler don't know the word in english).Clearly, the nonestop run of -35 C weather must be the cause.Unfortunately, big hearted as I want to be, I cannot let a cat inside as I am heavily allergic.

Question 1: Can a cat really survive at these temperatures for days? I have no idea.He is safe from the winds in my backyard, but that's it.

Question 2: What the hell can I do more if he's in danger of dying of cold?

I must say that the cat seems scared of me, as when I opened the door trying to check him out and give him some food, he went into hiding.He also doesn't look like a wild cat, but who knows.If I knew who wast he owner I'd surely have a talk with him (and probably not a gentle one), but I have no clue.

Thanks.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
People who cut into traffic lane by staying in a faster line until the last minute all need to die.

Don't they realize they're quote often the main cause of traffic in the first place.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Maybe someone can give me advice about how to help out a cat, as I know nothing about such issues.

The situation: There has been a cat hanging around in my backyard for the last week or so, and he is constantly "meow'ing" (miauler don't know the word in english).Clearly, the nonestop run of -35 C weather must be the cause.Unfortunately, big hearted as I want to be, I cannot let a cat inside as I am heavily allergic.

Question 1: Can a cat really survive at these temperatures for days? I have no idea.He is safe from the winds in my backyard, but that's it.

I must say that the cat seems scared of me, as when I opened the door trying to check him out and give him some food, he went into hiding.He also doesn't look like a wild cat, but who knows.If I knew who wast he owner I'd surely have a talk with him (and probably not a gentle one), but I have no clue.

Thanks.
A cat definitely should not be outside for long periods of time (or at all) in this weather.

Does the cat have a collar on it? Maybe there's a phone number / address on it. Maybe you could borrow a friend's cat carrying case and take the little guy to a vet. At the very least they'd be able to take care of it. Don't know where you're from but these guys are amazing. Maybe it would be microchipped.

Barring that, there are heated cat houses you can get to put outside so that it can stay warm in this weather.

I'm obviously no expert though. I'd suggest you contact the DMV (Centre DMV | Médecine d'urgence et spécialités pour animaux de compagnie) and see what they suggest you do with the cat. Hopefully he's alright.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium

Thanks.

Build it a little shelter at least. (Just a cardboard box with some towels, pillows, covers whatever you don't use that could warm it a little and protect him from the wind really.) Put some food in it also, if he's scared of you it might convice it to go inside and at least it'll feed him.

And then as mention above you should contact some organisms and see if one could take it in.

I found a frozen dead cat killed by a snowplower last winter directly on the sidewalk (he had no fur left on one of his side) and boy that's heartbreaking to see.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
God damnit just bring it in already, who freaking cares if you sneeze for a day. Jesus. My GF is heavily allergic to both cat and dog and she lives in a tiny appartment with one of both and she's just smart about it, don't pet it and stick your finger in your face, don't let it in your bedroom, taaddaaa.

At least take a look at him, is he injured ? does he have a collar? A shelter will just have him freeze to death as he most likely has a better shelter somewhere if he's stuck it out for so long. Food and water will help though.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm not allergic to any food thankfully.

But my seasonal allergies and my cat allergy are ridiculous. I get asthma symptoms when in a house with a cat but I don't care and I want a cat when I have my own living space.
You could get a hypoallergenic cat. My mother in law is allergic to cats but wanted one, so she went out and found a hypoallergenic one. They're not cheap, but they exist.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
God damnit just bring it in already, who freaking cares if you sneeze for a day. Jesus. My GF is heavily allergic to both cat and dog and she lives in a tiny appartment with one of both and she's just smart about it, don't pet it and stick your finger in your face, don't let it in your bedroom, taaddaaa.

At least take a look at him, is he injured ? does he have a collar? A shelter will just have him freeze to death as he most likely has a better shelter somewhere if he's stuck it out for so long. Food and water will help though.

Unfortunately it's not sneezing, it's severe difficulty to breathe.In that context, I cannot bring a cat inside my place.I haven't seen or heard him since I last posted, but I constructed a shelter with styrofoam and a plastic box, plus some couverture, and put it there.I will put food every 12 hours, and maybe insert a hot "sac magique" inside the shelter every 3-4 hours.

I will definitely keep an eye on whether I see the cat in the future, and check if he has an owner.If he does I will see what I can do to report the owner.I hate doing those kind of stuff, but enough is enough.

Note that I did ask my neighbor to take him in, cause she loves cats, and she tried to "capture" him, but he ran away.This was some days ago.So the cat himself is not making it easy on us to help him unfortunately.

Last edited:

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
People who cut into traffic lane by staying in a faster line until the last minute all need to die.

Don't they realize they're quote often the main cause of traffic in the first place.

You’re wrong. If the lanes are dotted it’s actually better if more people did that. It’s called the zipper effect. Read up on it. Idiots staying on one lane are the ones slowing the traffic. Seriously, educate yourself.

Reactions: PhysicX

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
You’re wrong. If the lanes are dotted it’s actually better if more people did that. It’s called the zipper effect. Read up on it. Idiots staying on one lane are the ones slowing the traffic. Seriously, educate yourself.

Problem is when people don't know how to safely change lanes.

Reactions: PhysicX

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Safest way is both lanes are filled with cars and at the merger point, they alternate towards the merdged lane, like a zipper.

Yes, but it doesn't work when people are on the exit lane and stupid people drive up towards the exit on the right lane, which is illegal to do. Genre le monde sur la voie de droite de la 440 qui veulent aller prendre la sortie de la 15 pis ils essayent de couper le monde qui attendent dans la voie pour sortir. Ça c'est trou-du-cul en maudit. J'pense c'est ça que Zaide veut dire.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
it works when the traffic is already heavy since it reduces the length of it (though effectively slowing down the pace once you're in the jam - but it also effectively doesn't change the length you'll spend in the traffic in the first place)

but when traffic is "light" (like cars never stop and the flow is alright), just a couple idiots doing it at the last minute slow traffic down by forcing cars in both lanes to break and it ends up causing congestion

and also what @ThaDevilGirl said

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
You guys should try driving in Africa..no courtesy, everybody out for themselves, nobody cares about "rules" , going in left lane and trying to jam into an exit is the modus operandi here, very annoying and completely stops the flow of traffic.......

it works when the traffic is already heavy since it reduces the length of it (though effectively slowing down the pace once you're in the jam - but it also effectively doesn't change the length you'll spend in the traffic in the first place)

but when traffic is "light" (like cars never stop and the flow is alright), just a couple idiots doing it at the last minute slow traffic down by forcing cars in both lanes to break and it ends up causing congestion

and also what @ThaDevilGirl said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig