Rumor: Eklund Rumor re: Hoffman

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep. It happens every year. Last year we heard how unproven prospects Sikura and/or Kahun could seamlessly replace Hino's speed game.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Kahun did replace his production. Hino was not really missed at all.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kahun did replace his production. Hino was not really missed at all.

Uh huh. Yes I realize it was you, BK, who made the comment about Sikura and Kahun. Playing 1st line minutes for much of the year Kahun was very ordinary with no grit to his game and could not finish - he was so impressive that Stan traded him away.

Ok, I know nothing of Kubalik and his game but until he does something in the NHL he can't be used in the same sentence as Hoffman, a rather solid NHLer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkaholic

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Uh huh. Yes I realize it was you, BK, who made the comment about Sikura and Kahun. Playing 1st line minutes for much of the year Kahun was very ordinary with no grit to his game and could not finish - he was so impressive that Stan traded him away.

Was it me? Yes, I thought Sikura would produce more than Kahun. Just like a lot here.

No grit? DK and Sikura both were willing to go to the corners and it is laughable if you think Hino was some shining beacon of grit.

Hino is a solid player who can help a team but he was not really missed.

To get something of value via trade you need to trade something of value. Maatta addresses a huge need for the team plus the team have Kubalik and others waiting to take that spot.

Edit: My take.

Long term I think Sikura/DK made/make Hino replaceable. I think Sikura has a higher ceiling and will replace Hino’s production.

Another player people are forgetting is Highmore.

Hino's production was replaced by DK/Sikura...just like what happened.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If you think either of those guys had a bigger impact on a game then Hino you sound more like BWC.

Anyway this is about this year and another rookie, Kubalik and how good he can be. If, right out of the box, he's truly another Hoffman who can play without the puck then bring him on! I'd love to see it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you think either of those guys had a bigger impact on a game then Hino you sound more like BWC.

Anyway this is about this year and another rookie, Kubalik and how good he can be. If, right out of the box, he's truly another Hoffman who can play without the puck then bring him on! I'd love to see it.

I didn't say they had a bigger impact because they didn't. I simply stated they replaced his production (which is true).

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I didn't say they had a bigger impact because they didn't. I simply stated they replaced his production (which is true).

Yeah, Kahun's underwhelming 37 points playing more minutes than Hino would have dreamed of in Chicago. Kahun even had some PP time.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I like Hoffman a lot as a player, but it's Eklund so you know it's not happening.

Liking him as a player aside though, there's a whole lot of personal crazy on his end that I'd rather not risk bringing into our locker room as well even if he had nothing to do with the pretty horrible stuff that happened behind the scenes with his fiancée and the Karlssons. Maybe unfair as it's still unproven, but man the allegations were the definition of toxic.

His fiancé challenged her to prove that it was her and nothing was produced.

Hoff was awesome last year and had a career year on top of it. If we’d gotten Panarin he’d be a goner, but we all know that we didn’t and I don’t see how you replicate his production with what we have. Think he’s staying for the foreseeable future, hopefully to be re-signed.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Yeah, Kahun's underwhelming 37 points playing more minutes than Hino would have dreamed of in Chicago. Kahun even had some PP time.
2018 Hinostroza - 13:49 a game with 1:26 PP

2019 Kahun - 14:09 a game with 1:04 PP

Kahun averaged 13 more seconds of ice time a game than Kampf so I’m not really sure where you’re getting this top line minutes thing. He played with some top six guys at even strength at times but he was never getting top line minutes.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
His fiancé challenged her to prove that it was her and nothing was produced.

Hoff was awesome last year and had a career year on top of it. If we’d gotten Panarin he’d be a goner, but we all know that we didn’t and I don’t see how you replicate his production with what we have. Think he’s staying for the foreseeable future, hopefully to be re-signed.

not sure I would use the word awesome to describe anyone who finished with a -24, having said that he had a career year offensively.

I think you will see Q force Hoffman to change and that may or may not be a good thing, Q does not like players that have -24...either Hoffman adapts to Q's methods or he will be traded IMO

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I never said Kubalik was a guaranteed 25+ goal scorer. My point is that they play the same way so having both on the same team is redundant.
25 goal scorers are never redundant. And I'd rather have the one that has done it over the one that hasn't if it really came down to it.

If Kubalik shows he can play too, he can take someone else's spot.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yep. It happens every year. Last year we heard how unproven prospects Sikura and/or Kahun could seamlessly replace Hino's speed game.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Some were saying Sikura could, but not many said Kahun could. Kahun most definitely replaced his offensive output though, which I think most people said would happen.

Neither player is worth crying over losing, both are the definition of replaceable.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Some were saying Sikura could, but not many said Kahun could. Kahun most definitely replaced his offensive output though, which I think most people said would happen.

Neither player is worth crying over losing, both are the definition of replaceable.

Technically this isn’t true. We’re talking about top 9/tweener guys so ultimately this isn’t THAT big of a deal, but it was absolutely said by many after the Hossa trade that Hino’s speed and production would be replaced by Kahun and/or Sikura. I distinctly remember it being said by many here.

It was one of the reasons I didn’t like the Kahun trade...because it seems harmful in the long term to keep trading these types of guys away thinking you have replacements for them when you may not.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
not sure I would use the word awesome to describe anyone who finished with a -24, having said that he had a career year offensively.

I think you will see Q force Hoffman to change and that may or may not be a good thing, Q does not like players that have -24...either Hoffman adapts to Q's methods or he will be traded IMO

Barkov has a -3, Huberdeau was a minus, every player had rough years defensively. Reimer was terrible in net, Lou was falling apart, the defense was turnover city, and Boughner was terrible overall a day coach. We know Q is going to demand a lot, that’s what we all hope will come. Boughner’s pairings and line combos made no sense, most of his coaching made no sense.

That said, I’m sure Hoff will be on board, and he was awesome.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Barkov has a -3, Huberdeau was a minus, every player had rough years defensively. Reimer was terrible in net, Lou was falling apart, the defense was turnover city, and Boughner was terrible overall a day coach. We know Q is going to demand a lot, that’s what we all hope will come. Boughner’s pairings and line combos made no sense, most of his coaching made no sense.

That said, I’m sure Hoff will be on board, and he was awesome.

you may want to temper your expectations with Q at the helm if you think that Q is going to have line combos that make more sense than what Boughner was doing.

over the last several years Q was terrible at line combos and pairings, in fact it goes back the the WCF with the kings where we could have won back to back cups if it was not for Q adamant on trotting out Seabrook and Oduya together when every single person in the hockey world could see they were the worst tire fire in playoff hockey history in that series, them playing together the entire series and Q thinking that Handzous was 5 years younger than he was flat out lost the series for the hawks and that was all on Q.

there is no doubt that Q was a great coach and is a deserving Hall of Famer however there are a great many hockey folk that see Q for what he is and that is a coach stuck in his old ways and has seen the league pass him bye.

is he better than Boughner? Likely
will he lead an NHL team deep into the playoffs ever again, not likely

he does not utilize players to their strengths, instead he tries to change players and often puts them in position to fail simply cause he exposes thier weaknesses

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
you may want to temper your expectations with Q at the helm if you think that Q is going to have line combos that make more sense than what Boughner was doing.

over the last several years Q was terrible at line combos and pairings, in fact it goes back the the WCF with the kings where we could have won back to back cups if it was not for Q adamant on trotting out Seabrook and Oduya together when every single person in the hockey world could see they were the worst tire fire in playoff hockey history in that series, them playing together the entire series and Q thinking that Handzous was 5 years younger than he was flat out lost the series for the hawks and that was all on Q.

there is no doubt that Q was a great coach and is a deserving Hall of Famer however there are a great many hockey folk that see Q for what he is and that is a coach stuck in his old ways and has seen the league pass him bye.

is he better than Boughner? Likely
will he lead an NHL team deep into the playoffs ever again, not likely

he does not utilize players to their strengths, instead he tries to change players and often puts them in position to fail simply cause he exposes thier weaknesses

You must not have followed the Panthers under Boughner at all. I’ll happily watch with Q behind the bench.
Take care.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Kane was -20, Keith was -29, Anisimov was -17, Q played them and liked them a lot.

Reactions: Laus723

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Kane was -20, Keith was -29, Anisimov was -17, Q played them and liked them a lot.

yes he did utilizing them incorrectly and not to the strengths that they had at that point in the careers, thanks for proving my point

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
As holic mentioned, guys like Hoffman aren’t redundant unless you’re talking about an all-star/national team.

No NHL team has too many 25-35 goal scorers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
As holic mentioned, guys like Hoffman aren’t redundant unless you’re talking about an all-star/national team.

No NHL team has too many 25-35 goal scorers.
Maybe redundant wasn't the right word, but it's not like there's a gaping Hoffman-sized hole in our lineup. The assets it would cost to acquire Hoffman doesn't seem worth it to me because he'd be a luxury not a necessity. Cap wise you'd have to move someone like Saad which makes us worse defensively or Murphy who also makes us worse defensively.

My point with Kubalik is from an offensive standpoint, he plays the game a lot like Hoffman. Let's focus on grooming him into a 25 goal scorer instead of going after Hoffman. Have some faith in our own guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00