Confirmed with Link: Ekholm (retains 4%), 6th round pick to EDM for Reid Schaefer, 2023 1st round pick, 2024 4th round pick, and Tyson Barrie

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
No trade backsies. We love him already.

Fine with me, Ekholm's wife is one of those sick people who like winter and she is happy. Happy wife, happy life.

and little known secret, Edmonton is a sister city to Nashville. You would think Milwaukee with all the sport ties, but Edmonton

Reactions: iCanada

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Barrie is actually a really good player. The only thing with him is that you have to play him on the PP.

The Oilers coach would sometimes use him on the PK and closing out games so he isn't like the worst player in his d-zone. He will do something dumb ever 8-10 games though

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Barrie is actually a really good player. The only thing with him is that you have to play him on the PP.

The Oilers coach would sometimes use him on the PK and closing out games so he isn't like the worst player in his d-zone. He will do something dumb ever 8-10 games though
Well we are screwed then cause Hynes will play him everywhere but the PP.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Oilers fans don’t seem to be thrilled to ship out Barrie. That’s a good sign. 2 year deal. Not exactly a cap dump.

Barrie was definitely our best RD and he was never given his deserved props for his ability to break up cycles and shift momentum with a creative outlet. He carried his past "stigma" of being an elite offensive D, but it overshadowed how good he has become defensively.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Barrie was definitely our best RD and he was never given his deserved props for his ability to break up cycles and shift momentum with a creative outlet. He carried his past "stigma" of being an elite offensive D, but it overshadowed how good he has become defensively.
That would be cool if it turns out this way...

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Man’s been in the NHL 11 years. Somthing’s right. I’ve never thought he wasn't serviceable; just not a star(see also Ekholm).

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
I've watched him for the last 3 years. He's not supposed to be out against elites if he is that's the coaches fault. He is average defensively and scrappy for a smaller d. Offensively he is elite more so on the PP but EVS also he is very good. You guys got a good vet ofd if the plan is to keep him.

Also I've loved ekholm since he's been here all he has point wise Is an Assist and +6. But he's great to watch out there. He plays the game the right way. From what I've seen so far.

Reactions: weeze

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
I've watched him for the last 3 years. He's not supposed to be out against elites if he is that's the coaches fault. He is average defensively and scrappy for a smaller d. Offensively he is elite more so on the PP but EVS also he is very good. You guys got a good vet ofd if the plan is to keep him.

Also I've loved ekholm since he's been here all he has point wise Is an Assist and +6. But he's great to watch out there. He plays the game the right way. From what I've seen so far.
Don’t expect a lot of points. Even his plus/minus may not be huge. It’s because he plays most often against the opponent’s best and a lot of minutes against everything(5/5, PP, PK, 4/4, OT.. he’s there.) Just watch his overall D.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I love this trade for Nashville. Sure, everyone wants to look at Nashville as a Seller and you are.

But Sellers can also be Winners at deadline. To me, Nashville has done that.

Here you moved Ekholm yes but I think Schiefer, 1st and 4th would have been enough. To get Barrie is the win here. Nashville clearly needs another PP puck-moving D aside from Josi. While Barrie is not elite , he will do just fine on your 2nd pair.

Jeannot deal - huge win

Nino deal - not bad

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I love this trade for Nashville. Sure, everyone wants to look at Nashville as a Seller and you are.

But Sellers can also be Winners at deadline. To me, Nashville has done that.

Here you moved Ekholm yes but I think Schiefer, 1st and 4th would have been enough. To get Barrie is the win here. Nashville clearly needs another PP puck-moving D aside from Josi. While Barrie is not elite , he will do just fine on your 2nd pair.

Jeannot deal - huge win

Nino deal - not bad
I agree with you. David Poile did a great job during the last week before the TDL. The roster on the ice isn’t better but it definitely isn’t much worse AND he stocked with a haul of assets.

I may be in the minority but I think the addition of Barrie was a fantastic piece. As stated by some others here, it might not have made the D Corp “better” but it definitely allows them to all fit in where they perform at their best.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I agree with you. David Poile did a great job during the last week before the TDL. The roster on the ice isn’t better but it definitely isn’t much worse AND he stocked with a haul of assets.

I may be in the minority but I think the addition of Barrie was a fantastic piece. As stated by some others here, it might not have made the D Corp “better” but it definitely allows them to all fit in where they perform at their best.
At first I wanted to flip Barrie but then realized Foote would be the 7th Dman, on a healthy roster, and not the 8th so it made sense then that they actually targeted Barrie in the trade to even things out.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Watching the Buffalo-Edmonton game tonight, crazy to see the hype that Ekholm is getting. I mean, we knew it, but... it sure didn't seem like the rest of the league did. Once they get a guy, they sure start pumping the tires, nice to see. Hope Ekholm is enjoying it somehow. :)

Reactions: hockey diva

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Watching the Buffalo-Edmonton game tonight, crazy to see the hype that Ekholm is getting. I mean, we knew it, but... it sure didn't seem like the rest of the league did. Once they get a guy, they sure start pumping the tires, nice to see. Hope Ekholm is enjoying it somehow. :)
He'll be in the Norse conversation now that he's in Canada.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I wonder how he feels about the amount of media there compared to here.

It’s kind of odd watching D-men just hanging out at the blue line waiting their forwards work in the offensive zone.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
At first I wanted to flip Barrie but then realized Foote would be the 7th Dman, on a healthy roster, and not the 8th so it made sense then that they actually targeted Barrie in the trade to even things out.
Yeh i wanted to trade barrie as well. Now that carrier is injured and i see we would be dealing with either 2nd pairing offhand lauzon or 2nd pairing foote, ive come to appreciate that we kept barrie. Helps that hes looked quite good too.

Reactions: Scoresberg

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
He had another excellent game.. 4 games 2 assists +6 logging around 21 + minutes a game.
Last couple games by a little margin playing more then nurse. He really helped cut his minutes.

Reactions: triggrman

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeh i wanted to trade barrie as well. Now that carrier is injured and i see we would be dealing with either 2nd pairing offhand lauzon or 2nd pairing foote, ive come to appreciate that we kept barrie. Helps that hes looked quite good too.
I echo this. I was also all for trading Barrie but after seeing him a couple of games, I want to keep him around. For now at least.

He can provide shelter for the younger guys all the while being a useful piece. I would keep him for now, and re-assess the situation a year from now at the TDL. He could still bring some value back then.

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
One thing that I can say about the Ekholm trade is that I never thought I’d be watching every Edmonton game that I could. Thanks Poile……..
I watch a lot of Oilers games just because it's such a treat seeing McDavid do his thing. A nice added bonus now is getting to watch Ekholm too. Go get a Cup bud.

Barrie looks good and could be a very nice piece to move next trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad