EK and Burns - should they separate?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
EK and Burns. Whoops. Mods please edit title haha

Two very below defense defenseman - but super elite offensively

We are seeing how important defense and goaltending is in the playoffs

Playing two guys that are a defensive liability 2/3 of the game or more just can’t work imo

Sucks because Sharks gave up a ton for EK, but they’ll probably be better for a playoff push concentrating on more defensive players (EK has been on ice for more goals than anyone over many years and was on the ice for so many goals so far these playoffs too), and of course better goaltending.

Burns and EK just seem like a very odd match to me. Sharks should go a different direction more this summer. Let 10 mil/year walk and concentrate on D/goalie help more.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Are they like splitting into two or something? Im pretty sure you mean EK and Burns.

I dont think Karlsson signs with the Sharks. If it was going to happen it would have before now, the playoffs are just making things worse. I actually wouldnt be shocked if he ends up in Vegas. That seems like the only thing they are missing.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
They are like a ticking time bomb-doesn't help that EK is injured and Burns is a liability on the defensive side of his game. They should be split up.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Are they like splitting into two or something? Im pretty sure you mean EK and Burns.

I dont think Karlsson signs with the Sharks. If it was going to happen it would have before now, the playoffs are just making things worse. I actually wouldnt be shocked if he ends up in Vegas. That seems like the only thing they are missing.

We have major cap issues for next season and I wouldn't want him. He seems injury prone and I doubt he'll regain the form that he once had. With that said, I hope he extends with the sharks

Last edited:
Reactions: ChanceVegas

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
they definitely need to have competent defensive complements, which right now they don't have, and on top of that karlsson is severely injured and a shell of himself.
the sharks have lost 2 of their best defenders in vlasic and simek. simek was really unexpected but burns has a history of inexplicably doing worlds better with a certain unknown dman than another, or even a strong veteran.

karlsson is just gimped. if he were healthy he and dillon would be tearing up the place like they were earlier in the season. but right now karlsson has no speed or agility and that is absolutely vital to his game. he needs to be able to explode on cue, and he simply can't right now.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
It's too bad that Erik came back injured in the playoffs so this whole narrative of "he sucks defensively" is also back. Yes, he hasn't looked great this series (no doubt about it!), but trust me, as someone who's watched him play since 2008, the guy has been very competent defensively ever since the lockout season of 2012-13. He's also shown his defensive capabilities in the playoffs including the 2017 run.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's too bad that Erik came back injured in the playoffs so this whole narrative of "he sucks defensively" is also back. Yes, he hasn't looked great this series (no doubt about it!), but trust me, as someone who's watched him play since 2008, the guy has been very competent defensively ever since the lockout season of 2012-13. He's also shown his defensive capabilities in the playoffs including the 2017 run.
he showed them earlier this year when he was healthy as well. he is just so gimped right now it's almost painful to watch.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Karlsson's hurt. SJ isn't the team to take a risk by resigning him. I love 'em both, but it does seem overkill to have both Burns and EK, and with EK's health.. he'd be better on a team that really needs that role filled or a team just desperate for a star on the back end. I don't think his value/defense should be judged from these playoffs though, dude clearly ain't right.

Obviously the goaltending is bad, but I just wanna emphasize how much of a mental toll that takes as well. It's so tough to play your game when you know any given opportunity against could end up in the back of the net. No excuses, Vegas just looks better overall, but I do wonder how much of an influence that lack of confidence has. Players tense up and get off their game when you're worried about the dude between the pipes on your end.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Karlsson always been great offensively but bad defensively. Especially against elite teams. He has been a pylon for most of this series.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
YES

I've not watched the games to be fair. But if they're playing together - clearly it's not working. Mix it up. Gotta win the next game

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Losing Vlasic was a killer. He would be the one matching up against the Stone line. It would probally be Vlasic/Braun. This on top of losing Simek a couple of weeks prior to the playoffs. I wonder how this series would be if the Sharks had their top 6. But the goaltending would still suck, just not nearly as exposed as it is now.

Reactions: Phu

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Who cares at this point? Series is over and Karlsson will be gone soon. At least he should be because he can't stay healthy and if the Sharks sign him to some ridiculous contract they are morons.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Who cares at this point? Series is over and Karlsson will be gone soon. At least he should be because he can't stay healthy and if the Sharks sign him to some ridiculous contract they are morons.

As a Sharks fan I agree. EK65 is not worth the contract he is about to get. The Sharks have actually played much better without him this season,up until the last 2 weeks of the season that is when they lost Simek. Sharks use to always be decent defensively but with EK65 they become horrible. Yes Jones has really regressed but I think he always sucked and the Sharks D just made him look better than he actually was. Sharks should use that money elsewhere. Do they even need another offensive Dman? They have Burns.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
No they need to coagulate

I would pay money to watch McGuire go from explaining how a team needs to gel to explaining how a team has coagulated and formed a hive mind. Good TV right thur.

And I love EK, but ya, too much of an injury risk at his price.

Reactions: TheMule93

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They should seek some counseling first before just all out separating, no?

Reactions: Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad