EIHA mandates neck protection immediately Upd: OHL, QMJHL, WHL, Germany; IIHF; France; USA Hockey U18

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Hockey Canada has mandated throat protectors (they protect the throat, not the neck) for minor hockey and women's hockey for decades. Players routinely misuse them, either wearing them so loosely that they don't cover anything, or sometimes wrapping them with tape so that they're so small and again, provide little to no protection. We referees spent a lot of time chasing players around to try to get them to wear them properly, but in a typical U18 game, most players wouldn't be wearing them properly. Of course, you'd hear every excuse in the book about how they were uncomfortable or chafing or, the best ones, restricted a player's breathing. (They did not.)

The best choice was always a base layer shirt with the kevlar collar, because it always sat properly and was impossible to wrap with tape. I never understand why parents and coaches weren't more insistent with players that they take their own protection more seriously. If players wore their jocks with the same conscientiousness that they wear their helmets and throat protectors, there would be a lot more players speaking falsetto.

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
The best choice was always a base layer shirt with the kevlar collar, because it always sat properly and was impossible to wrap with tape. I never understand why parents and coaches weren't more insistent with players that they take their own protection more seriously. If players wore their jocks with the same conscientiousness that they wear their helmets and throat protectors, there would be a lot more players speaking falsetto.

It's been a while since I've had any reason to pay attention to it for myself, but 15 years or so ago when I was playing, I could never find one that fit my neck. Supposedly anything beyond a certain size didn't meet CSA standards. Has this changed?

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It's been a while since I've had any reason to pay attention to it for myself, but 15 years or so ago when I was playing, I could never find one that fit my neck. Supposedly anything beyond a certain size didn't meet CSA standards. Has this changed?

I see you Takeo Spikes.

Seriously though, did you play when the thinner flexible ones came in? Those felt fine to me, but before that I was dealing with a big bulky plastic-in-cloth thing. Always figured you could kinda combine ‘em, have the cut-proof lite Kevlar sheath around some sorta loose band that’d lessen direct impact.

But either way, companies were just starting to actually try when I played like.. 15 years ago, shit, I thought I was younger. Point is, with money I’m sure they can be made comfy. Back then it was honestly the least of my gear-fit concerns. Remember those yellow jocks friggin everyone had? Terribly designed, but for years they were the only thing widely available- now you can spend $70 on “performance” jock shorts. Figure a similar thing could happen with neckguards.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
For the EIHA's deadline to hold (or not slip too much), they'll probably need a domestic source for the protectors. Brexit very likely took away opportunities for them to tap Continental manufacturing sources, while North American producers will be giving preferential treatment to U.S. & Canadian orders.

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
I see you Takeo Spikes.

Seriously though, did you play when the thinner flexible ones came in? Those felt fine to me, but before that I was dealing with a big bulky plastic-in-cloth thing. Always figured you could kinda combine ‘em, have the cut-proof lite Kevlar sheath around some sorta loose band that’d lessen direct impact.

But either way, companies were just starting to actually try when I played like.. 15 years ago, shit, I thought I was younger. Point is, with money I’m sure they can be made comfy. Back then it was honestly the least of my gear-fit concerns. Remember those yellow jocks friggin everyone had? Terribly designed, but for years they were the only thing widely available- now you can spend $70 on “performance” jock shorts. Figure a similar thing could happen with neckguards.

I'm glad things have improved. I just recall(because I would have been all in on the shirt with the built in collar) that the shirts that could fit me had collars way too small, because up here in Canada(not sure where you are) things have to meet Canadian Safety Agency guidelines, and at the time, apparently anything with a greater circumference than what I was trying on lost its protective ability.

As I said, it's been some time, so hopefully it has improved, but when I was in the market, it was a no-go for me.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I see you Takeo Spikes.

Hockey Canada was recommending officials wear neck guards for a few years after a liney had his throat cut in a game - it always takes a tragedy - and I had a great base layer shirt with a built in kevlar collar. Took a couple of games to get used to it, and I didn't mind how it felt. I found as a referee I was never in a position where colliding players were going to be a risk to me, (which is not the case for linesmen) so when I found a better base layer shirt, I stopped wearing the one with the collar.

But like your example with the jocks, the market will adapt to need. I've never known anyone who couldn't find a collar that fit, but all it would take would be some elastic at the back to help for those with larger necks, and I'll bet with this incident in England, a couple of manufacturers will be amping up production to fill the market for adult-sized performance shirts with built in throat protectors.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
For the EIHA's deadline to hold (or not slip too much), they'll probably need a domestic source for the protectors. Brexit very likely took away opportunities for them to tap Continental manufacturing sources, while North American producers will be giving preferential treatment to U.S. & Canadian orders.
Maybe. Some handle orders as they are received. Depends on corporate rules/guidelines (and customer history).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

OHL and QMJHL have also mandated neck protection.

The AHL mandates cut resistant socks and wrist protection. They might add neck protection soon.

TJ Oshie's equipment company is sold out of neck protection and lots of back orders.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Couple guys showed up for my beer league game on Monday with neck protectors. Both ditched it after 1-2 shifts.

I don't know if I'll start wearing one or not. I mean my kids are in minor hockey and they wear them - but they're also always drenched in sweat after a game, so I feel like it wouldn't be very comfortable.

But mind you I see lots of guys play without cages - or even without shoulder pads - and I would never dream of doing that.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Recall it took the NHL over a decade to mandate helmets after Bill Masterton died on-ice during an NHL game. And took how many years and how many injuries from touch icing before they went with the no-touch rule. Never mind goalie masks and their slow implementation. They don't move quickly on safety issues.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Recall it took the NHL over a decade to mandate helmets after Bill Masterton died on-ice during an NHL game. And took how many years and how many injuries from touch icing before they went with the no-touch rule. Never mind goalie masks and their slow implementation. They don't move quickly on safety issues.
The primary responsibility for personal safety lies with the person. And if the NHL delays in establishing a rule (or even guidelines/recommendations), it appears a large percentage of players will be wearing neck & other new protection. The scenario is developing as I'd expect it to at that level of the profession.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
From a business/legal standpoint, I'm surprised the NHL hasn't mandated it already. One would think their insurers would mandate they require them.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In today's podcast (either 32 Thoughts or Freidman on Marek's show), they discussed that the insurers may raise this issue, but nothing (public) yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad