Eichel vs Matthews for a playoff run

For playoffs I would choose

• Total voters

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Starting now? Eichel. I'm not happy with Matthews' history in the playoffs. And I'm a Leafs fan.

I do think he's the better player of the two, so just one solid postseason from Auston would change my mind.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yeah, this highlight reel is pretty nuts.

He was robbed of the Conn Smythe IMO. What a dominant 2 way exhibition.

Mark Stone was my pick. He carried his line like Eichel didn't have to.

Wouldn't call him dominant though, or Eichel. It was just a very deep team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Mark Stone was my pick. He carried his line like Eichel didn't have to.

Wouldn't call him dominant though, or Eichel. It was just a very deep team.
Nah. Stone was a strong factor but Eichel drove Marchesault's goal scoring on top of playing strong defense. It was a combined effort, but for my money, Eichel was the top performer overall.

Anyway, for purposes of this thread I'm biased but we've all yet to see Matthews lead his team in the postseason the way Eichel did last year. Matthews is the better regular season player and you can make the argument that he's the better player overall, but if this is just for the playoffs I'm taking Eichel until Matthews gives me a reason to change my mind.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Genuine question, if we traded them straight up for each other, do people think Vegas would not have won last year ? Matthews is much better than Eichel, Eichel just finally got traded to a good team. Remember this is the guy that couldn't even get his team close to sniffing the #9 spot in the East for like what 8 years almost ?

Matthews all day

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Genuine question, if we traded them straight up for each other, do people think Vegas would not have won last year ? Matthews is much better than Eichel, Eichel just finally got traded to a good team. Remember this is the guy that couldn't even get his team close to sniffing the #9 spot in the East for like what 8 years almost ?

Matthews all day
The rosters of the two teams weren’t much different. They had identical points in the RS.

One player elevated their play in the post season and showed a massive desire to win. One didn’t, again.

In fact, they even played the same damn team in the post season.

One had a stat line of 8pts in 5 games, the other had 2pts in 5 games.

Yes Matthews is a “better” player, but As of now not during the most important part of the season

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Matthews all day
I really don't know. Eichel was the biggest reason for their success.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Matthews all day

Hard to say because they bring such different skillsets. Eichel’s speed and transition game was huge at breaking down defenses and his playmaking was a big part of Marchessault’s success. Matthews is better in general, but I don’t know if he would have been a better fit last year

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Matthews all day
Genuine question. Did you watch Vegas' run last year? Because let's say offensive production is a wash, do you really think Matthews would replicate the same two way play as Eichel in the same role and on the same team?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Matthews all day
Meh. What ifs don't do enough lifting in this debate for me to choose Matthews over Eichel. I'd understand your sentiment better if Eichel was even just pretty good in the playoffs, but he was an absolute savage last year. Matthews has largely been a disappointment. Until Matthews hits savage level, which is definitely possible- Im choosing Eichel.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Genuine question. Did you watch Vegas' run last year? Because let's say offensive production is a wash, do you really think Matthews would replicate the same two way play as Eichel in the same role and on the same team?

You say that like Matthews isn't generally the better two-way player? Matthews had 5 goals and 9 points against Tampa, one of those games holding the opposition to 0 shots on goal during his 24+ minutes of ice time in a game that went to overtime.

Still though hard not to go with the player who won the Cup and was the best player on the team in his first playoff appearance. But going forward I'm still comfortable taking Matthews and think he's capable of an even better playoff run.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I feel like Matthews will go on a goal scoring heater in the playoffs at some point in his career.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Matthews all day
Yeah I mean I agree here.

If you put Matthews on Vegas last year, they still win the Cup.

Eichel was great, but it's not like he carried the team or something. Matthews could contribute equally as much in his own way.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah I mean I agree here.

If you put Matthews on Vegas last year, they still win the Cup.

Eichel was great, but it's not like he carried the team or something. Matthews could contribute equally as much in his own way.
Vegas would have been a completely different team without Eichel's transition game. He carried that top line. Matthews doesn't have that same skill set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad