WJC: "Eh oh Canada go"?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I'm not even Canadian, and I think this is one of the worst cheers in sports history, right up there with the jingoistic "U-S-A" chant that angry right-wingers love to yell here in the States. What really sickens me is that is was a fabrication by Pepsi, and in the end, this will be as much of an epic fail for them as Pepsi Blue.

Curious, I saw some right-wingers who weren't angry chanting it in unison with some left-wingers who were, co-incidentally, a mixture of angry and non-angry lefties. Hmmm,,,,,,, what kind of conspiracy do you Americans have going on here!!!!!

DoctorPayne

Aug 10, 2009
Canada
I might be mistaken... but it looks like they've removed the "Eh Oh Canada Go" ad from the boards in the arena, and replaced it with a normal Pepsi ad. Maybe they're getting the message?

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
This chant better not be used/ on tv ever again....I swear I will break my tv if i hear it again..**** you Pepsi.

Smokies430

Nov 21, 2009
Not sure why but I'm blaming that god awful chant for Canada's loss. First year we had that crap and sponsored by an American company....too much of a coincidence for me. ;)

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
Some PR damage control from the Pepsi Cheer Nation feed on facebook:

Pepsi Canada "GO Canada GO" or "Ca-Na-Da" or "Let's Go Canada, Let's Go" or "EH! O'Canada Go!" ... CHEER it loud, CHEER it proud for Team Canada. We're going for GOLD!

Pepsi Canada Thanks Team Canada for a great tourney! We rooted for you from coast to coast. You inspired us with your passion & determination, & we’re honoured to have been a part of it. You’ll always be Gold. Thanks Canada, your enthusiasm for our Athletes is amazing! You showed us how you supported Team Canada. We read & listened..., and we love the passion you have for the game. No matter what you CHEER, Buffalo is ours in 2011!

Cheer nation still only has 96,000. I like how they promised the first million a place in the hall of fame and they're only a 10th of the way there. Meanwhile the facebook group is about to break 60,000.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
"I was personally hoping for

One really loud dude: America!
Crowd: **** YEAH!"

Pulled off the right way, that'd probably be the greatest hockey cheer ever. :laugh:

Supposedly a section of American soccer fans in the stands just before our first Soccer World Cup game in 2006 sang the whole song. We were playing the Czechs and their fans nearby laughed. They then beat us 3-0.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Dale Hooper, VP of Marketing of Pepsi wants to have a chat with me.

So far I've been interviewed by a newspaper in Saskatoon and a radio station in Sudbury. I never thought this would grow like it has :amazed:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

So far I've been interviewed by a newspaper in Saskatoon and a radio station in Sudbury. I never thought this would grow like it has :amazed:

Sweet. Tell him to keep his hands off tradition.

g35

Apr 28, 2006
It's not Pepsi's fault for trying to sell some cola. It's the fault of whoever propagates this horrible chant.

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005

Hm. I have a feeling that by tomorrow, the group name will be changed to "Eh Oh Canada Go is a nation triumph!!" and Chileiceman will be posting pictures of himself driving around in his brand new Mercedes...

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Hm. I have a feeling that by tomorrow, the group name will be changed to "Eh Oh Canada Go is a nation triumph!!" and Chileiceman will be posting pictures of himself driving around in his brand new Mercedes...

Damnit how did you know? :sarcasm:

But seriously, Mr. Hooper is a nice guy who is well aware and appreciates our discontent. In the future he will likely be more in tune with what the hockey fan wants when doing a marketing campaign around hockey.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Supposedly a section of American soccer fans in the stands just before our first Soccer World Cup game in 2006 sang the whole song. We were playing the Czechs and their fans nearby laughed. They then beat us 3-0.

For a Canadian version, how about:

"Canada - FOOK YEAH!"

;)

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
Damnit how did you know? :sarcasm:

But seriously, Mr. Hooper is a nice guy who is well aware and appreciates our discontent. In the future he will likely be more in tune with what the hockey fan wants when doing a marketing campaign around hockey.

It was very respectful of him to contact you in any case. The growth of that group has actually been really shocking... without any real concerted marketing effort outside of all of us inviting our friends and maybe posting the link around. I suppose it's a cause that markets itself. Pepsi should be taking notes...

I read your post on the facebook group as well, and noted that he mentioned having the full support of hockey canada... which I suppose isn't as hard to get as it used to be. I'm more curious about why TSN was pushing it so hard. Sponsorship deal? Advertising dollars? Not too familiar with the ins and outs of that industry.

Frankly I think the campaign was doomed for two reasons: First, it was doomed from the beginning simply because it had the optics of being a big American corporation trying to appropriate Canadian culture for their own gain. Second, the real nail in the coffin was that they chose a really embarrassing cheer. Sure, I know a Canadian woman came up with that, and maybe even the people who chose the winner were Canadian, but clearly they don't represent the majority of Canada. Someone should have done just a tiny bit more market research on the thing and found out that Canadians don't really like chanting "EH." Especially at the beginning of a sentence.

Did he have anything to say about the actual chant itself and how many people think that it kind of sucks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad