Prospect Info: Eeli Tolvanen

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I know I was poking fun at people last week for sudden change in prognostications for Eeli but since the floor has been set/reset what are the thoughts on him now?

After being able to watch him for more than 4 or 5 shifts in a game and really being able to get a feel for how the kid plays I don't think he has to worry about getting sent back to the AHL again. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 30 goal scorer seeing how he forechecks, backchecks, and of course shoots the puck. He puts in the work that should create the chances he needs.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I know I was poking fun at people last week for sudden change in prognostications for Eeli but since the floor has been set/reset what are the thoughts on him now?

After being able to watch him for more than 4 or 5 shifts in a game and really being able to get a feel for how the kid plays I don't think he has to worry about getting sent back to the AHL again. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a 30 goal scorer seeing how he forechecks, backchecks, and of course shoots the puck. He puts in the work that should create the chances he needs.

Glad to have you aboard! I think that he is a 20 goal scorer in the NHL for sure.

From Elite Prospects:

Elusive with the puck on his stick…likes to shoot and has an impressive accurate shot with an absolutely deadly release, Futureconsiderations.ca 2017

He has the full arsenal of quick release snap shot, a powerful wrist shot and accurate one-timer on the power play, Hockeyprospect.com 2017

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Needs more finishing skill to hit 20. The PP goals have been great, but he’s had chances at 5-on-5 he just has to bury.

Reactions: Byrddog
Jul 12, 2007
You took six of our actual draft picks and compared them to a bunch of players we never drafted?? None of the first bunch has even had a chance to prove themselves at the NHL level except Tolvanen and hes starting to look like hes gonna make it. You're just talking out your bunghole with this post. While you may be right that most of that first bunch wont make it, comparing them to the second bunch is a non sequitur
Salomaki and Sissons were drafted higher than Trenin. Bitetto was drafted also. When you play the “I’m really smart and you don’t know anything” card, it pays to not be wrong.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Tolvanen needs to be in the top 6 and on the first PP unit to get most effective production IMO.

Being based in Europe I watched quite a few of his games when he was tearing it up and he is highly reliant on an elite shot - the rest of his game will take time to develop - we forget how young he is.

He could certainly get FF9 type production if his development continues. I don’t think he will be as dominant in 5 on 5 because his skating is not great and his board play is average. But his offensive positioning and shot should hopefully lead to consistent 20-30 goal seasons.

Fingers crossed

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Salomaki and Sissons were drafted higher than Trenin. Bitetto was drafted also. When you play the “I’m really smart and you don’t know anything” card, it pays to not be wrong.

I'm not wrong. Yeah you threw in a couple of our own picks but you still also compared our guys to 3 player we didnt draft and signed as free agents(Bonino. Grimaldi, Carr), and two guys we traded away or let walk (Salomaki, Bittetto) who obviously werent "adored too much, too long" and one player who by most any metric is a reasonable NHL player, the kind that every team needs on their third or 4th line.

So your post was still nothing more than so much digital flatulence.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Tolvanen needs to be in the top 6 and on the first PP unit to get most effective production IMO.

Being based in Europe I watched quite a few of his games when he was tearing it up and he is highly reliant on an elite shot - the rest of his game will take time to develop - we forget how young he is.

He could certainly get FF9 type production if his development continues. I don’t think he will be as dominant in 5 on 5 because his skating is not great and his board play is average. But his offensive positioning and shot should hopefully lead to consistent 20-30 goal seasons.

Fingers crossed
Your information is outdated. Eeli has already developed those skills and isn't reliant on that shot anymore. That's the reason why he's been able to stick in the lineup, according to Hynes. Eeli has one of the best corsi, second most takeaways and blah blah. He's also playing physical with 7.5 hits / 60.

He has developed quite nicely, AHL did him good. I can honestly see him do well in a bottom 6 role too, if the scoring role doesn't work out.

Reactions: alexmanu

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Your information is outdated. Eeli has already developed those skills and isn't reliant on that shot anymore. That's the reason why he's been able to stick in the lineup, according to Hynes. Eeli has one of the best corsi, second most takeaways and blah blah. He's also playing physical with 7.5 hits / 60.

He has developed quite nicely, AHL did him good. I can honestly see him do well in a bottom 6 role too, if the scoring role doesn't work out.

Good to hear. My info probably is outdated as I only get to catch live games here and there given the time difference.

His skating was always my biggest issue with him.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

I disagree. He's done a good job of rounding out his game, physically and playing without the puck but I don't see him as an effective bottom-sixer in the NHL.

If he can't develop into a complementary top-six winger (which is his trajectory as of now) I don't see him having a long NHL career.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I disagree. He's done a good job of rounding out his game, physically and playing without the puck but I don't see him as an effective bottom-sixer in the NHL.

If he can't develop into a complementary top-six winger (which is his trajectory as of now) I don't see him having a long NHL career.
You can't see him being the winger version of Jarnkrok?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Well, he's came in as advertised. He's reliable both sides of the puck, has been creating chances at 5-on-5 (51,57 % xGF) and has been lights out on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00