Confirmed with Link: Edmundson to Leafs for NYI’s 3rd round pick in 2024 Draft & Chicago’s 5th pick in 2025 Draft

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I still would rather them not have traded for Joel in the first place, would have an early third round pick instead of late third round now.
We gave up Minnesota 3rd and get NYI. Wont be that many picks difference. If NYI suddenly makes the playoffs and go and a run there might be some difference. Chicago’s 5th next year will probably be close to one of the first picks in the 5th round aswell which is better than our 7th.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I still would rather them not have traded for Joel in the first place, would have an early third round pick instead of late third round now.
Well we traded them a MIN 3rd rounder for a NYI 3rd rounder so they're pretty comparable. Not a big difference there in the standings. I guess upgrading that second pick is a net gain...but as someone pointed out. We had to watch him for 50 games so we really didn't win.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
We gave up Minnesota 3rd and get NYI. Wont be that many picks difference. If NYI suddenly makes the playoffs and go and a run there might be some difference. Chicago’s 5th next year will probably be close to one of the first picks in the 5th round aswell which is better than our 7th.
Ahhh Ok thought it was Toronto 3rd. That makes me feel better about the trade thanks!

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Imagine working without internet.... you yutes have no idea the horrors we endured.

We had to stalk coworkers or use a phone to call our friends.
I was thinking about how I had to go to the transactions section in the back of the WaPo sports to learn about NHL trades. And they'd have a date range listed in case you missed any, like 4 or 5 days I think. I heard Druce was traded for Elynuik at the end of a Sportscenter, that was the first time I heard about the Caps doing something from somewhere other than the Post or radio.

edit: Forgot about when Headline News dropped, that was big for the deadline.

Last edited:

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
Was looking at our 2nd round history since we will have a lot of them coming up this year and next. When I got to 1999, I threw up in my mouth just a bit.

Michal Sivek, Charlie Stevens, Ross Lupaschuk, Nolan Yonkman, a dead hamster and some gum from under my shoe. 125 NHL games combined.
1709847125144.jpeg

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think you mean Nic Dowd's name on it.

(This is the frustration of using retention slots on guys like Edmundson)
If you want to be frustrated about a retention slot be frustrated by Mantha. Retaining 50% on a contract we already had retention on is the reason the move paid off as an investment, it seems like it was always the plan for Edmundson, but Mantha is now occupying a space that could reasonably be more useful.

That said, the winger market being a real bitch is complicating things so if they had to retain on Mantha to get ahead of the market a little so be it, there's not a significant reason to retain on Pacioretty unless Dowd is just staying put since he didn't rebound enough for anyone to really want him anyway. Let somebody take him if it comes up, otherwise he's gone and we maybe have to pay the bonus next year but like... whatever. There's money around.

All in all there's nothing too frustrating or unmanageable about the situation, the only surprise was retaining Mantha but they had the space to do it and got something out ahead of the rush.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Was looking at our 2nd round history since we will have a lot of them coming up this year and next. When I got to 1999, I threw up in my mouth just a bit.

Michal Sivek, Charlie Stevens, Ross Lupaschuk, Nolan Yonkman, a dead hamster and some gum from under my shoe. 125 NHL games combined.
It's amazing how inept the Caps were at drafting from 1994-2001. Only a small number of NHLers, none of whom made any difference. It's just year after year of draft fail.

• Wow
Reactions: kicksavedave

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Oh yes I remember that well. Probably have The draft preview of The Hockey News back in some box in a closet for that year.

• Haha
Reactions: kicksavedave

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Was also looking over Caps draft history today. 2006 is very underrated for how horrendous it ended up being.

Alzner's the only guy that played in the NHL, and he looks like a bad hindsight pick with Voracek, Couture, McDonagh going shortly after.

Godfrey and Ruth were drafted as defensemen with some offensive tools and physicality, both over Subban in round 2 (though Ruth contributed to getting Feds).

Pretty much a whiff on 10 picks, including a top-5, right in the middle of the rebuild.

Reactions: Stan Galiev

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
He came, he went and it was an experience. Personally, I would have rather not experienced it.

Here is an absolute gold nugget from the Athletic Toronto writer:
"Edmundson is gigantic at 6-foot-5 and 221 pounds, just the kind of oak tree the Leafs want more of on their back end."

Is it 'on' their back end or 'in' their back end? Either way, one gigantic oak tree coming right up.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Comment from the Leafs board.

This is about as underwhelming as it gets.

My first thought after hearing Treliving traded for Edmundson wasn't "awesome, the Leafs are gonna win the cup". It was "moron, he did it again". I knew Treliving was gonna do something stupid.

I just didn't know how stupid until he did it.

A brain dead pigeon could do a better job. At least the pigeon wouldn't keep wasting picks on bottom of the roster scrubs. Cause Edmondson and Lyubushkin are sooooo much better than Erik Karlsson.

At this point I can only hope Treliving somehow manages to do the right thing despite himself.

His incompetence has been proven already. Other than being a shameless sycophant I can't think of any reason Shanahan should want to keep him around. Sadly I think the possibility of Edmundson being re-signed is greater than that of Treliving being fired.

It really doesn't get anymore disappointing than this

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I was thinking about how I had to go to the transactions section in the back of the WaPo sports to learn about NHL trades. And they'd have a date range listed in case you missed any, like 4 or 5 days I think. I heard Druce was traded for Elynuik at the end of a Sportscenter, that was the first time I heard about the Caps doing something from somewhere other than the Post or radio.

edit: Forgot about when Headline News dropped, that was big for the deadline.
I am stunned. Today on 100.3 FM Baltimore radio the DJ talked about the Edmundson trade for a full minute plus. Said he only had 6 points but made great plays thats what made other teams covet him. Talk about the unknowns of the roster for tonights game that someone that may be traded would be sitting, and we'd know about an hour before kickoff.

I havent heard that much hockey talked about on local radio 1067 aside... in maybe decades if ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad