Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton v Vegas. He’s Aliiiiiiiiiive.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I do want to see what RNH - Drai - Hyman plays like though.

Run Drai - Henrique - McLeod - Carrick down the middle and call up Lavoie/Holloway.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I don't really agree. There's plenty on the line still.

The Oilers are 26-8-3 at home and 21-16-2 on the road. Finish the season strong and you could ensure home ice advantage against everyone in the West save Dallas. If the playoffs started today based on points % the Oilers would risk losing home ice advantage in the 2nd round and almost assuredly would lose it in the 3rd round.

Normally I would agree if we had a normal schedule but our schedule to end the year could easily result in burnout before we even drop the puck for Game 1. If some of the boys are banged up, we may as well shelf them.

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I don't think he's turning $200M into $1B++++ with an index fund.
It was a joke, but he'd have close to $800M at this point. Plus, I would put my money on the S&P outpacing the Edmonton Oilers in the long run, especially because sports teams in general are experiencing a weird spike in value lately.

Reactions: Puljulainen

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
It was a good run...
1000006918.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It was a joke, but he'd have close to $800M at this point. Plus, I would put my money on the S&P outpacing the Edmonton Oilers in the long run, especially because sports teams in general are experiencing a weird spike in value lately.
ProPublica did an interesting dive into sports team and American tax system. Apparently an incredible right-off utilizing depreciation and amortization on sports franchises to significant reduce tax burden on uber wealthy. I'm not a Finance guy but this is an interesting piece to read:

Ultimately pro sports are just another form of big business with pure profit motivation sole objective for their cartel ownership groups. Just supremely effective with the emotional connection it forges with people.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
ProPublica did an interesting dive into sports team and American tax system. Apparently an incredible right-off utilizing depreciation and amortization on sports franchises to significant reduce tax burden on uber wealthy. I'm not a Finance guy but this is an interesting piece to read:

Ultimately pro sports are just another form of big business with pure profit motivation sole objective for their cartel ownership groups. Just supremely effective with the emotional connection it forges with people.
I did read that article. It's very interesting but not surprising, though I'm sure making the tax deductions work is devilishly hard (not that the owners are doing that themselves).

I know some analysts believe that sports franchises are having a strong moment because they are an ideal advertisement vehicle to reach especially difficult to reach groups, and no one watches recordings of games, so the ads aren't fast-forwarded and are usually watched. That makes professional sports a particularly lucrative business for advertising.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Our best player being banged up right before playoffs is not a blessing in disguise.
I agree but the standard for being out with injury is rock bottom ever since we clinched, and the fact that Vancouver won last night makes it even lower.

But just because the standard is low doesn't mean the injury is super minor. So there is concern

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I did read that article. It's very interesting but not surprising, though I'm sure making the tax deductions work is devilishly hard (not that the owners are doing that themselves).

I know some analysts believe that sports franchises are having a strong moment because they are an ideal advertisement vehicle to reach especially difficult to reach groups, and no one watches recordings of games, so the ads aren't fast-forwarded and are usually watched. That makes professional sports a particularly lucrative business for advertising.
Agree, lots of legs to the business model of pro sports with revenue creation through franchising, broadcast rights, sponsorship and advertising, merchandising, ticketing and killer brand affinity and love unlike vast majority of big business. Add to that a global reach in this modern world. Then carve out massive tax advantages that help super wealthy owners cutdown their personal or corporate taxes as described in the article. Not to mention prestige, influence and repututational value of being an exclusive 'member' of a very tight consortia.

Reactions: soothsayer

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
From my experience, 40% of that popeye's thigh is batter :sarcasm:

TBH, KFC tastes the best for the first few bites but after that it's all pure grease :/
Lol that’s why I end up in the shitter all night

In line with this, Popeyes spicy chicken is without a doubt the best fried chicken available from a chain in Edmonton. If you want something really good, Ralphs in Castle Downs is incredible.

Also, the Korean chicken sandwich at Mary Brown's right now is not messing around. It's super tasty. But holy hell, MB is so much pricier than other options.
We have a Mary browns! I ll have to try that. That sounds amazing

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
If it happened on the play on the Power Play in the third where he went down. I fail to see anything even resembling a dirty play leading to it. Sometimes things happen.

That's funny considering my daughter and I spent two days on the toilet after first trying Mary Brown, so we stayed away for years. Last year, we thought we'd give it another try and while not as prolonged as the first time, I was a little raw by the next morning.

I've never had an issue with KFC or Popeyes.
The chicken at Mary Browns is good. It’s something in the sandwiches that is off. Maybe it’s the mayo style product.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Probably that I haven't put you on ignore yet.
Ok that one was pretty good lol

...your rant was a bit extreme though. "Inbred cow f*ckers", c'mon dude that's harsh, even if it's Calgary. You can do better.

It's so uncharacteristic of you to come running to the defense of the Flames!
I even gave him a like ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Senor Catface

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad