Rumor: Edmonton possibly interested in Engelland

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I don't remember how this works here (if/when a rumor deserves a thread) so feel free to delete this. I do think however that our blueline situation could use a general rumor thread as there is movement of some sort to be expected there.

I'll start with blatantly stealing from the main Trade & Signing board.
Edmonton possibly interested in Engelland (as per Edmonton Journal).
I'd say if there is someone that would give us something for him, we should do it. Engelland does not really serve so much purpose here anymore and I'd be happy if he would get to play again somewhere else. It's a first step to dissolving the logjam on the back end.
Thoughts?

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
With Bortuzzo improving Engelland is completely expandable. His only real purpose on this team is that its better to have a low upside veteran in the pressbox than a young player

penguins2946*

I wouldn't trade him unless we get like an actual return (like a 2nd or 3rd). Keeping him as a 7th D is much better than the 4th he would get us in a trade.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It makes good sense for both teams.

But, despite his many positive qualities, Shero seems to have a bit a defenseman hoarding problem. He also seems to really value players who can blast other players in the face with their fists. At least to the degree that it is even semi-realistic to make a spot for them on the roster, owing to the limited skillsets the vast majority of the players of that ilk posses. Also... Engellend is a "veteran." You know how that goes.

I just get the feeling that he's not much interested in moving off any of his defensemen, despite it making sense, on paper. At least not unless an amazing deal comes around.

So yeah... if the Oilers get crazy and want to send someone of real value the Penguins way... maybe it happens.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's probably worth a 4th round pick...not sure what I'd accept for him, as I think he fills a niche here. If someone offered us a 3rd, I'd have to take that.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
While I have been to a certain extent a fan of Engo's body of work I have to say I wouldn't be averse to moving him for the proposed 4th +/-1 pick. It frees up a roster spot, gives Engo the chance to play somewhere else and begins to free up the logjam at least a little. His play recently hasn't been all that good and maybe that's a byproduct of him not getting much ice time or maybe he's just trying to hard. Doesn't really matter, the team has better (and waiver exempt) options just waiting to be used. So seeing him go to another team would probably be best for both sides.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I don't see the value in moving Engelland. He's a league minimum salary 7th defenceman that can drop the gloves and still play reasonably good hockey.

All the guys that would take his spot in the press box are young and better served playing AHL minutes.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I like the guy in general, but I don´t like his play. Especially recently. He shouldn´t be near this team with all this defensive depth and talent we currently have.

So yes, it´s time to move on. If it´s for the 4th round pick, it´s for the 4th round pick...At least Bylsma will be prevented from scratching Borts for him..

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I don't see the value in moving Engelland. He's a league minimum salary 7th defenceman that can drop the gloves and still play reasonably good hockey.

All the guys that would take his spot in the press box are young and better served playing AHL minutes.

Engelland is still a full-time NHLer in a team like Edmonton. It doesn´t really matter who´s sitting in our pressbox, because it´s pressbox. If there are injuries, we can recall Despres or Dumoulin easily. We can have anybody to sit in the pressbox, let´s say Mikkelson or whoever..

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Yeah, he's sort of a good guy to keep around just in case.

Like I said, it'd have to be a top 100 pick for me to consider moving him.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Engelland is still a full-time NHLer in a team like Edmonton. It doesn´t really matter who´s sitting in our pressbox, because it´s pressbox. If there are injuries, we can recall Despres or Dumoulin easily. We can have anybody to sit in the pressbox, let´s say Mikkelson or whoever..

The #7 guy is the one that gets put in if there isn't enough time to bring in a call up. I want that guy to be an NHL player not just a warm body.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Nah, keep him as a depth defenseman. He can play against the tougher teams in the East. And, his cap-hit is is barely anything. I would be willing to let him go if Pittsburgh gets toughness back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Exactly. There's really no point in trading a guy who can fill that role, that cheap, for scraps. It neither opens up cap space nor opportunity for young defensemen.

It's easy to see the case for dealing Niskanen...he makes decent coin and plays a role we could fill with a cheap, promising prospect. Engelland? Not so much.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Thirded.
Edmonton should re-tune their ambition and set their sights on Nisky. Not really sure they have any available forward prospects of interest to us, but a 2nd from them would likely be a mini 1st, so that would be fine.

For us, trading Engelland makes little to no difference cap-wise, and he is perfectly fine as a 7th D-man for us. Don't see the value in a late pick to let him go.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I don't remember how this works here (if/when a rumor deserves a thread) so feel free to delete this. I do think however that our blueline situation could use a general rumor thread as there is movement of some sort to be expected there.

I'll start with blatantly stealing from the main Trade & Signing board.
Edmonton possibly interested in Engelland (as per Edmonton Journal).
I'd say if there is someone that would give us something for him, we should do it. Engelland does not really serve so much purpose here anymore and I'd be happy if he would get to play again somewhere else. It's a first step to dissolving the logjam on the back end.
Thoughts?

Done deal. I don't even know what we are getting in return. We need to move a 1 way D contract and Engelland is our worst D man. Where do we sign?

I would try to get a decent 2nd round, wing prospect instead of a throw away 4th round pick.

The Lovejoy trade was a terrible trade for us IMO, so I wouldn't use that as an example. He's averaging 20min / game this year for the Ducks, and is doing fairly well in all defensive analytics.

The value in this trade is that it opens up a spot for better WBS defensemen. IE taking one of Bylsma's toys away. Would you rather have Depres playing or Engelland? Do you even have to think about this?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Hard to decide. Engelland is a solid 7th D, dirt cheap and also doubles as enforcer. On the downside he'll eventually get played over Bort because Bylsma has a hard-on for veterans. And he will leave next summer anyway, probably even for Edmonton. If we find a taker for Niskanen soon, I'd rather keep Engo. If we don't I'd take a 4th rounder for him.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
Shero needs to find a better option for a depth defenseman as soon as possible. Engelland might cut it in the regular season, but he is horrible for any team with Stanley Cup ambitions. Engelland was awfull in the playoffs. The slightest amount of pressure by the opposing forwards and Engelland could not clear the zone, even if his life would depend on it. Something like that is the very least you would expect a depth defenseman to contribute, if any of the top6 would get injured.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pens want to keep Maatta up trading Engelland isn't a bad idea, only bad thing is when all defenseman are healthy it would mean either Bort or Maatta would have to sit in the press box, but chances are at least one of our defenseman will be injured throughout most of the year, so Bort and Maatta would most likely still play the majority of games.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Shero needs to find a better option for a depth defenseman as soon as possible. Engelland might cut it in the regular season, but he is horrible for any team with Stanley Cup ambitions. Engelland was awfull in the playoffs. The slightest amount of pressure by the opposing forwards and Engelland could not clear the zone, even if his life would depend on it. Something like that is the very least you would expect a depth defenseman to contribute, if any of the top6 would get injured.

I think if you look at Stanley Cup winning teams over the past 10 seasons and compare Engelland to their 7th D-men, you will find that this is not an actual problem....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Done deal. I don't even know what we are getting in return. We need to move a 1 way D contract and Engelland is our worst D man. Where do we sign?

I would try to get a decent 2nd round, wing prospect instead of a throw away 4th round pick.

The Lovejoy trade was a terrible trade for us IMO, so I wouldn't use that as an example. He's averaging 20min / game this year for the Ducks, and is doing fairly well in all defensive analytics.

The value in this trade is that it opens up a spot for better WBS defensemen. IE taking one of Bylsma's toys away. Would you rather have Depres playing or Engelland? Do you even have to think about this?

That's not the question though. The question is whether you'd rather have Despres or Engelland in the press box playing 1 out of every 5 NHL games. And I know my answer.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
What about Bortuzzo as the 7th dman once Letang gets back? We lose strength in the bottom pairing if it's Niskanen with Despres or Maatta, but it's not like Bort is a 20 yo who still has a lot to gain by playing every night. He's a stay at home dman with limited offensive upside. This way one of the young guys breaks into the line up, and we still have a solid guy waiting for the inevitable injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00