Edmonton Oilers Trade Rebuild for Playoff Spot

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
A couple of games after making the Edler deal with the Lightning, Oilers GM Michael MacIsaac admits to questioning whether he was too optimistic.

"Ten points out just before the deadline, and here I am trading away my first round draft picks like I can just pick more up at the grocery store."

However, a double-digit win streak later and a ten game streak without losing in regulation to end the season has catapulted the Edmonton Oilers into the playoffs as the West's 7th seed.

"It's scary to say, but had I known how competitive the West would be down the stretch, I probably wouldn't have made the big news. I would have acknowledged that this was not the year, and held off. However, the guys really proved me wrong on this one, and a lack of foresight, for a change, turned out to be my best quality."

Although MacIsaac has reason to celebrate after leading the Oilers into the playoffs after taking over half-way through the season -- a feat for which he still offers credit to that very same Lightning GM who left Edmonton for warmer pastures -- the Oilers face a colossal challenge in the Los Angeles Kings.

"This is a new team now, and I know we can beat the Kings, but the tide turns in the playoffs. We know we're good, but now we need to be playoff good, and I can't think of a better test than the defending Stanley Cup Champions. We're sure going to earn our bruises in these playoffs."

The most marvelous part of it all?

MacIsaac was sober throughout the whole interview.

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
Edmonton Oilers GM released a short statement this evening after watching his team continue their unforeseen run, eliminating the Los Angeles Kings with an impressive 4-2 victory:

"I'd call it surreal, unbelievable, a surprise, but I've known these guys could do it since I arrived in Edmonton. The Kings are a fantastic team that built themselves for play-off success, and I might say that I'm stunned at the swiftness of the result, but I think this was a case of a great team besting a great team. With the Red Wings and Kings falling to the lower seeds, I think it's just a testament to the strength of the West, and the fact that we can't sit back and celebrate. If the 7th and 8th seeds can advance, that's only a sign of how powerful our next opponent will be."

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Congrats on your victory. The west is so tough, and we're seeing that in the first round here. Our teams actually had the same average overall rating (73), despite being seeds 2 and 7.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
Congrats on your victory. The west is so tough, and we're seeing that in the first round here. Our teams actually had the same average overall rating (73), despite being seeds 2 and 7.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks. The feather in the cap of defeating the defending Cup champions isn't lost on me, and it's a huge accomplishment as a first year GM. I need to see now if we can ride the momentum -- I wasn't sure we'd come out on top with the Datsyuk trade at the forefront, and so I'm hoping we just keep moving and show that this wasn't a fluke.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The Kings were the 7th seed last year as well and hadn't been in the playoffs for five years, so it's do-able.

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
After coming back from down 3-2 against the powerful Columbus Blue Jackets, Michael MacIsaac had the following to say after being woken up from a drunken state in the team's press box at the Nationwide Arena.

"Blarghashs..."

His translator had the following to say:

"We are very excited here in the Edmonton organization that, with a few key moves, we've been able to launch into contender status. It will take great work to turn this into a feat of consistency, but today, we are excited to be making a run for the Cup in 2013."

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Congratulations Mike on a hard-earned victory. Two goals in the third made it close for me, but your empty-netter salted it away. (I don't think I've ever scored a goal with my goalie out, come to think of it.)

And with the Blues also falling in Game 7, that eliminates the last of the old Central Division, just in time for Drew to announce his retirement. A chapter closes.

Best wishes the rest of the way, Mike - I'll be rooting for your Oilers ('cause if I'm going to fall to anyone, it's better be the eventual champs!).

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
\
And with the Blues also falling in Game 7, that eliminates the last of the old Central Division, just in time for Drew to announce his retirement. A chapter closes.

The Central. The best division in the best conference. Not.

GO NW (still the toughest division in the HFNHL!)

Well done Michael. You made some ballsy but well calculated moves to change up that squad and it's paying off big time.

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
Edmonton Oilers GM Michael MacIsaac was found in a random yard yesterday evening, with an empty gin bottle by his side and weeping over a lawn gnome resembling a baby Jesus after the Oilers completed a late Game 7 comeback and avoided a 3-1 series collapse to punch their ticket to the Stanley Cup Finals.

That's really all we've got.

He was too drunk to comment.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Conway Twitty!

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have Michael has gm of the year....he even help this franchise financial state.

He still has to edge me out. I managed to finish in debt with the worst team in the league. I don't think any GM is capable of doing that. On the upswing, I still have my first round pick this year instead of Mason Raymond!

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
Oilers practice at Rexall Place before Game 7.

20110917_rexall644.jpg

Sean+Horcoff+Warm-Up+Game+7+Stanley+Cup+Finals+June+2006.jpg

r-EDMONTON-OILERS-FIRST-GAME-large570.jpg

20100512_banners-1024.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad