Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wow! … a whopping $50K bonus… not sure we can sign any UFAs now.

It'll be fine we'll just sign more bonus laden contracts and kick those down the road to the next year too.

Lol the salary cap is a joke. It's harder to not circumvent it at this point than it is to follow the letter of the law.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Congrats to EDM. Looks like they are developing depth. Ekholm has helped transform their back end, freeing up Bouchard to do what he does best. Hyman - I have to admit that i thought Leaf's fans overrated him, and that he was being carried by their stars, but right now, does he have one of the best contracts in the league? That is great for team chemistry and the cap structure. He is not only productive, but scores the type of goals and has the frame that will work well in playoff hockey. Kane, at this point, is an asset. You need aholes like him on a team, as long as he stays under control. It's too soon to say for sure, but it looks like Holloway is turning a corner. You can see the tools and talent that made him a 1st rounder. I think, if he stays healthy, he can be a good middle six guy at least. He could learn a lot from the talent around him.

VAN, at least for the first two periods, seemed to have one of those games where nothing works. Passes were off, pucks were fumbled, players running into each other, etc. Hockey is mysterious that way. Every once in a while a team will suck for no good reason. Silovs kept them in the game. Overall in the series, I thought that Hughes and EP were disappointing, relative to my expectations. Garland can't be your best forward, and Soucy your best Dman(ok, exaggerating a little). Good news is that Tochett has the team responding to his coaching, and next year they will come back with two vg goalies, and most of the team back. If the front office makes the right moves in the off season they will be a Cup contender next year...

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Canucks had a better season than most people expected. Nothing to be ashamed about considering how disfunctional last season was. Must suck for their fans to lose to edmonton but it's not all bad , step in the right direction
Yeah for a first run at it in a while, Vancouver have done great. Of course I had hoped just that little bit more greater. :laugh: But congrats Edmonton.... on earning me a bit of $700..... I suddenly feel so dirty :laugh:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
More whiny pathetic excuses. Are you out of stock yet?
200w.gif

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers barely beat the Canucks minus their starting goalie, their top winger, and with their franchise center having 1 goal in 13 games.

Fun series. But you're going to get smoked by Dallas, and you know it. Enjoy this while it lasts.
"Canucks had Oilers number all season. Canucks live rent free in Oilers heads"

hows that workin out this morning?

Playoffs are a whole different ball game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
kind of frustrating for a canucks fan. oilers were very beatable but the canucks could not quite rise to the occasion and you could see in the end it would not matter if they did. they ran out of gas.

i actually credit the preds for an absolute grind of a series putting the canucks down. the canucks came into this series worn down and did not have the experience or depth to deal with it. the oilers were not nearly as tough an opponent as the preds but the canucks just were not as good after the preds.

bottom line, the series was winnable on paper for the canucks, but the oilers had more horses in the end. i will be interested to see how they handle dallas because that will tell me how big an opportunity the canucks missed. my hunch is dallas would have eaten the canuck's lunch if they had eked out a win in game 7. nothing left in the tank.

Reactions: I am toxic

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Thank god this season was “Housemoney” otherwise it would be sad.

All jokes aside, great series and GG Canucks fans.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's actually pretty funny... @Three On Zero... do you not realize that Corsi includes BLOCKED SHOTS and SHOTS WIDE/OVER THE NET??

If this is your argument for Vancouver being the better team... (when every other stat favors the Oilers by a WIDE margin), then you have some learning to do about playoff hockey... in my book a blocked shot and a missed shot attempt have everything to do with good defending. Stick taps to my defenders all around.
Why you tagging me? I never claimed Vancouver was a better team nor did I say anything about high danger chances. I said the series was pretty even

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Canuck fans gotta stop making excuses. Everyone has injuries. Brock would not have saved us tonight. Demko woulda been nice sure but we didn't have him. We lost and it is what it is. On to the next season!
Never heard more excuses from a fanbase as a whole, they had excuses after a win ( refs), a loss (refs, injuries) and after the series ( house money).

The Canucks played an extremely good series and Silovs played very well. The excuses belittle that.

Reactions: PuckG and nabob

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Oilers very lucky they didn't run into Vegas, Colorado or Dallas in earlier rounds.

Beating LAK was basically a given. lucked out with that matchup. And Vancouver too once the series went on and the injuries came on.

if they beat dallas though can't say much though

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Oilers very lucky they didn't run into Vegas, Colorado or Dallas in earlier rounds.

Beating LAK was basically a given. lucked out with that matchup. And Vancouver too once the series went on and the injuries came on.

if they beat dallas though can't say much though
yup luck luck luck

only won because of luck.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Lets be real, would EDM trade Skinner straight up for Silovs?

Or is the real question if a bears s***s in the woods?

Proud of Arty stepping in the way he did, with next to no NHL experience, great story in these playoffs.
Silovs has been praised by everyone from Oiler fans, NHL fans, the media. oddly enough it's the Vancouver fans who have been belittling him the most.

Of course I'd want a goalie that can stop HDCs.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If the Oilers lost... my excuses would have been:

McDavid is playing injured.
Skinner has been below average and lost games on his own.
Kane, Perry, McLeod, Foegle have been horrible and not contributing.
I think all of us Oilers fans have also collectively forgotten that Henrique exists. We played the entire series, besides 10 mins, missing a top-6 forward. That should be another excuse :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad