Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bouchard was alright, but if I needed a healthy defenceman for a playoff run, I take Hughes 10 times out of 10. He’s just that much better

I think Bouchard is honestly the perfect fit for the Oilers. His game is exactly tailored for his role on that team & he does it very well. He's a really good player.

Hughes didn't have his best playoffs (clearly hurt), but at the end of the day he's been the Canucks best skater this season, and if Evan Bouchard is your best skater your probably not a playoff team, so.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
You mean if the Canucks scored more goals and the Oilers scored fewer goals, the score of the game would change?

When is your book signing?
Input the same numbers and same performance and run the simulation, tell me if you get more Oilers wins, that's all I'm saying. Didn't come down to "want"

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Bouchard is honestly the perfect fit for the Oilers. His game is exactly tailored for his role on that team & he does it very well. He's a really good player.

Hughes didn't have his best playoffs (clearly hurt), but at the end of the day he's been the Canucks best skater this season, if Evan Bouchard is your best skater your probably not a playoff team, so.
Except Bouchard was the Oilers best skater in this series.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Hughes didn't have his best playoffs (clearly hurt), but at the end of the day he's been the Canucks best skater this season, if Evan Bouchard is your best skater your probably not a playoff team, so.
Bouchard is a good complimentary defenceman, he doesn’t tilt the ice when he’s on but he works well behind McDavid

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Hughes didn't have his best playoffs (clearly hurt), but at the end of the day he's been the Canucks best skater this season, and if Evan Bouchard is your best skater your probably not a playoff team, so.
Bouchard isn't the best skater, I'll give you that.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Congrats to the Oilers, the better team won.

And I don't know if having Demko and Boeser would have made the difference.

Canucks did about as much as they could this season, far exceeded expectations and set a standard going forward. Sucks right now but a big step in the right direction.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Great series from both teams....but let's be honest, the best thing that could happen was the Demko injury...but not for the Oilers for the Nucks.
They do know now that they have a great goalie in the making and should trade one of their goalies next season and invest in other areas.

And comon, nobody here thinks that the series would have gone different with Demo in net, Silovs was the best Nuck by far...I wish Boeser had played the last game, he was great in this series but I dont think it would have changed the outcome.
Hopefully we see us again next year in the playoffs.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Input the same numbers and same performance and run the simulation, tell me if you get more Oilers wins, that's all I'm saying. Didn't come down to "want"
Canucks fans sounding an awful lot like Oilers fans in October all of a sudden.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Losing? Not so much. I expected to be bounced out by the Oilers. I had a bad feeling about tonight.

But watching that 1st 50 minutes? Yea that has me livid. Where the f*** was the will to win?

I get that… but this series was like that - well defended. Several games where total shot count was low to mid forties.

I do think I’d look long and hard at a few guys (and resign at all costs a couple more).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Did Draisaitl not play?

Bouchard is an opportunistic scorer. And great at it. Fantastic shot probably the 2nd best behind Makar in the league.

But if he's your best skater coming into a season... Im not sure.
Draisaitl had an excellent series, but I still don't think he dominated the way Bouchard did. People can downplay his transition play as much as they want, but he has one of the best breakout passes in the league. He won't dazzle with some elite skating, but he was very good defensively all series and his breakout pass was always clean and on the money. Didn't have to spend much time in his own end because of it and that showed up big time in the shot metrics.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Great series from both teams....but let's be honest, the best thing that could happen was the Demko injury...but not for the Oilers for the Nucks.
They do know now that they have a great goalie in the making and should trade one of their goalies next season and invest in other areas.

And comon, nobody here thinks that the series would have gone different with Demo in net, Silovs was the best Nuck by far...I wish Boeser had played the last game, he was great in this series but I dont think it would have changed the outcome.
Hard to say. Silovs played amazing. But Demko is a whole other beast. We will never know. Just a bunch of what ifs.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Except you're saying it was low percentage vs. low percentage. It might be a novel idea to try to get more high percentage chances.

If you're saying that "want" has nothing to do with it, I'd go back and take a look at Canucks players rushing plays when hits were coming. Key players weren't willing to take the hit to make the play. That's just one example.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Only Demko is signed for next season, Silovs can graduate if they decide to bring him up. But I doubt they do it

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
? 40 years ago doesn't matter. Doesn't take away the salt you guys have when it comes to the Avs.
LOl no salt here my team The only salt I see is from Nuck fans better luck next year I will enjoy the conference finals

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I get that… but this series was like that - well defended. Several games where total shot count was low to mid forties.

I do think I’d look long and hard at a few guys (and resign at all costs a couple more).
If I was GM I'd get rid of Mikheyev, Lafferty,Hnorek and Cole. Start from there.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
oiler fans in here running down a canuck club that they barely beat
if vancouver sucks so badly what hope do you have against dallas???
Vancouver does not suck and they have a lot to be proud of. They were very close to advancing past a prime McDavid.

Dallas isn’t as scary as most make them out to be…

Reactions: Nostradumbass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad