Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Well sucked to lose this after such a great game 5 performance. I do think losing Boeser just before game 7 did suck a little enthusiasm out of the team at the start. It certainly did for me as a fan. No sour grapes here though. Oilers were the better team in games 6 and 7 and gotta give them credit for grinding out those wins without McDrai really taking over, particularly game 7. Contrary to the popular sentiment, I don't think they are DOA against the Stars.

Tough to take now but when you really break it down, losing this series in 7 to the cup favourites (or close to it) without our Vezina goalie and then losing our top goalscorer unexpectedly before game 7. Hell of a series, great playoffs and season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yeah gave the Oilers way too much respect.

Game 5 was the blueprint, force the issue, take the body, force them to move it quick, but tonight reverted back to passive play. Expending all energy keeping the Oilers outside only to flip it out, change, and hand EDM's stars possession for another shift.

Credit to EDM though, their PK was massive all series & they played hard defensively when they had too.
I'm stunned they didn't do it Game 7

they need a horrific McLeod turnover in the 3rd to start to try...baffling

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Oilers have been in our shoes before. They have fell short and knew what it would take to come back down in the series. They simply wanted it more. Hope it showed our guys what it takes to win for the up coming years.
Ya maybe but the lack of effort really sucks.

In too many offensive zone entries the only guy really skating was the puck carrier and sure the Oilers defended well but the Canucks made it look way too easy for the Oilers.

But maybe they were out of gas and had some nagging injuries......

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He's still your starting goalie, and now you're facing Wyatt Johntson and Jason Robertson. I don't know why you guys are so cocky lol.

Congrats on the win, you were the better team in this one.

I think we're just happy to win instead of conjuring up 100 excuses about why we didn't. If your goalie plays like an NHL goalie, I'm not sure it matters what string he is.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
This one has to sting for Canuck fans. They had 2 opportunities to advance to the WCF and couldn’t get it done. They just ran out of gas.
Losing? Not so much. I expected to be bounced out by the Oilers. I had a bad feeling about tonight.

But watching that 1st 50 minutes? Yea that has me livid. Where the f*** was the will to win?

Reactions: bucks_oil

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He's still your starting goalie, and now you're facing Wyatt Johnston and Jason Robertson. I don't know why you guys are so cocky lol.

Congrats on the win, you were the better team in this one.
yup Dallas will be tough and we will be the underdog

no one is cocky...but all we heard all season is Canucks fans crow about sweeping the Oilers in the regular season

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Mikeyev really needed to bury that chance in the first 10 minutes of the game. He was so close but man that guy simply can not finish no matter the situation.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
It took the Oilers seven games to beat the Canucks on their third string goalie.

That's pretty funny.
Your “3rd string goalie” is better than half the goalies in the league incase you didn’t notice? He’s also your 2nd string goalie now having taken over from DeSmith! Give the guy some credit for being pretty damn good !

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
This one has to sting for Canuck fans. They had 2 opportunities to advance to the WCF and couldn’t get it done. They just ran out of gas.

Yeah. Honestly coming into today knowing Boeser was out it felt like we needed a miracle.

I think part of the slow start tonight was having basically 2 lines, and relying on Mikheyev as apart of it to step up which was never going to happen.

Brutal timing but the effort wasn't even there tonight so.. credit to EDM.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Congrats to the Oilers and their fans. You guys were the better team tn, a deserved win. Good luck the rest of the way, was such a great series as a fan of one of the teams to watch, my team just ran out of gas. I'm proud of them for showing their heart in the 3rd, just too little too late. I said I couldn't cheer for you guys, and I won't, but I want you guys to prove to the rest of the league and Dallas, y'all ain't pushovers, make them earn every f***ing inch like u guys did us today and last game. Again congrats, see you guys next year
All class… much respect to, and some fear from, your team for next year.

Reactions: ManByng and rea

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Losing? Not so much. I expected to be bounced out by the Oilers. I had a bad feeling about tonight.

But watching that 1st 50 minutes? Yea that has me livid. Where the f*** was the will to win?

Seemed they were devastated by the loss of Boeser. They should have rallied from it. Still confused how they came out that flat in a game 7 on home ice. This is where the leadership should have rallied the boys.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Your “3rd string goalie” is better than half the goalies in the league incase you didn’t notice? He’s also your 2nd string goalie now having taken over from DeSmith! Give the guy some credit for being pretty damn good !
The point is, when your elite starting goaltender goes down for the season, you're typically done 99% of the time.

Canucks were fortunate to get solid goaltending, but Silovs also let in several point shots with no screens that would have been stopped by Demko. It wasn't a a comparison.

In the end, they just aren't that deep of a roster, and the Oilers star players carried them to the finish line. Nobody is disputing that. Nevermind the Ian Cole factor.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
oiler fans in here running down a canuck club that they barely beat
if vancouver sucks so badly what hope do you have against dallas???
lol what do you expect after the amount of shit talking between the fans? Hugs and kissed?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The interesting part of the series is literally every game (aside from game 6) could've gone the opposite way with a bounce here or there.

Skinner was bad for EDM all series, Ian Cole was bascially playing for the Oilers, those 2 guys alone decided like 4 of the games.

Just sucks we didn't have Demmer/Boes but that's the way she goes, proud of the group that it came right down to the wire under those circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad