Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers defeat the LA Kings, 4-1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
We told you the Kings sucked.
yoda.jpg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
When did Edmonton play someone of Boston or Tampa's caliber? The times we have lost in the playoffs the past two years, we have lost to the cup champions, not contenders, but champions. So remember that.

Also remember that it isn't a bad thing to have earned an easier matchup in the playoffs. If the Leafs wanted better matchups, they should try finishing 1st or 2nd in their division. Edmonton earned their right to an easier matchup by finishing higher in the standings. It's the same for every team, finish better in the regular season, get a better playoff matchup. The only team who didn't necessarily get that this year, is Dallas, as Vegas underperformed in the regular season and finished 8th.

Not every time. Only when the opposition trips one of our guys in a back to front motion.
a few of our guys got knocked down a bunch this game and we said nothing

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
When did Edmonton play someone of Boston or Tampa's caliber? The times we have lost in the playoffs the past two years, we have lost to the cup champions, not contenders, but champions. So remember that.

Also remember that it isn't a bad thing to have earned an easier matchup in the playoffs. If the Leafs wanted better matchups, they should try finishing 1st or 2nd in their division. Edmonton earned their right to an easier matchup by finishing higher in the standings. It's the same for every team, finish better in the regular season, get a better playoff matchup. The only team who didn't necessarily get that this year, is Dallas, as Vegas underperformed in the regular season and finished 8th.

Just remember how much respect Toronto gets in the handshake line every year.

images

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Said it last year and said it again this year. The kings are at their best against us with a hard forecheck and causing chaos below our red line. Using aggression to create Quick strike plays from deep in our zone to the slot should have been their recipe.
It's a double edged sword though because it could lead to odd man breaks the other way and the Kings wouldn't fare well in a track meet.

With that said, the passive 1-3-1 hasn't worked the last 3 years so why not change it up? They essentially replaced McLellan with another McLellan, absolute refusal to stray away from the system until it was too late. The Kings have some talent, they should utilize it more.

Islanders and Washington definitely the weakest links in the playoffs. LA probably along the same lines as Nashville, Jets, and Tampa in the long-shot category. Oilers, Vancouver, Canes, Toronto, and Boston in the category above that in the "have the pieces, but need the stars to align category". Think most understand that Florida, NYR, Colorado and Dallas are the true cup favourites this year.
The Canes are definitely in the true cup contender category, one can make a serious argument for Boston and Edmonton as well. There's a lot of strength at the top of the league this season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's a double edged sword though because it could lead to odd man breaks the other way and the Kings wouldn't fare well in a track meet.

With that said, the passive 1-3-1 hasn't worked the last 3 years so why not change it up? They essentially replaced McLellan with another McLellan, absolute refusal to stray away from the system until it was too late. The Kings have some talent, they should utilize it more.

The Canes are definitely in the true cup contender category, one can make a serious argument for Boston and Edmonton as well. There's a lot of strength at the top of the league this season.
The 1-3-1 is Blake’s directive. He had to convince McLellan to play it and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t allow Hiller to stray from it.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Kinda sounds like a cop out my friend. Let’s not forget losing to a few teams that were “beneath” the leafs as well.

LA is a solid team. Anyone discounting them as “the worst team in the playoffs” isn’t true. LA scared me coming in.
Kings were top 5 in most 5v5 stats coming into the series, and they were better than the Oilers 5v5 in this series.

The "Kings are terrible" reaction is cope by fans that want to paint the Oilers as pretenders.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019

Not every time. Only when the opposition trips one of our guys in a back to front motion.
Lol imagining trying to say Oilers haven’t played any decent opponents not knowing who they lost to the last 2 playoffs

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think the Dubois signing significantly overshadows the Fiala trade - give that team Brock Faber and spend that 1st round draft pick on a different asset... Kings are a different team
Those 2 trades ruined the Kings’ promising trajectoy. They honestly looked so promising in 2022. The fans deserve better management

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the Dubois signing significantly overshadows the Fiala trade - give that team Brock Faber and spend that 1st round draft pick on a different asset... Kings are a different team

Oh no, there's more than that. The cascading assets that went into acquiring PLD include Petersen and the Durzi deal

so add Faber and a 1st and take away Fiala--

Outgoing
Faber
Vilardi
Iafallo
Kupari
MTL 2nd
Durzi
Walker
Grans
Petersen
LA 1st
LA 2nd

Incoming
2 million+ of Provorov's salary
Hayden Hodgson
Kevin Connauton
PLD extended x 8
Fiala

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Oh no, there's more than that. The cascading assets that went into acquiring PLD include Petersen and the Durzi deal

Outgoing
Faber
Vilardi
Iafallo
Kupari
MTL 2nd
Durzi
Walker
Grans
Petersen
LA 1st
LA 2nd

Incoming
Hayden Hodgson
Kevin Connauton
PLD extended x 8
Fiala
Hf boards needs an NSFW tag.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
the penalty discrepancy needs context

Games 1 and 2 was fairly even (LA 0 for 5...Edmonton 4/7)

in Game 3....after 2 periods LA had 3 PPs to Edmonton's 2 PPs, despite being down 4-1....they clowned it up in the 3rd which resulted in a ton of penalties

Game 4 each got 1 PP...the difference being the Oilers scored while the Kings didn't

Game 5 LA was up 2-1 then had a PP right after with a chance to go up 3-1....didn't score on it then took some bad penalties
Fiala is a known diver...good call
PLD with a slewfoot...dumb dumb
Doughty saved a goal with his hook on Holloway....CLEAR penalty....Kings just couldn't kill a penalty (well, technically they did but the guy wasn't in the play yet)
Yea, but for some posters the context is that the Edmonton PP was hot and LA PP was cold, so the Oilers should not get any PP, and LA should get many, or something like that....I mean penalties should not be called based on what happens on the ice, should they?

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Outgoing
Faber
Vilardi
Iafallo
Kupari
MTL 2nd
Durzi
Walker
Grans
Petersen
LA 1st
LA 2nd

Incoming
Hayden Hodgson
Kevin Connauton
PLD extended x 8
Fiala
That's not a pretty picture.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Kings were top 5 in most 5v5 stats coming into the series, and they were better than the Oilers 5v5 in this series.

The "Kings are terrible" reaction is cope by fans that want to paint the Oilers as pretenders.
How were they better? Four complete fluky goals?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Weight was on his toes and stick.....get on the ice, get in that position, let someone yank the stick away, and see what happens....shall we?

Agreed....when did that happen? Sure as hell wasn't the Dubois hit
Stew on those calls all summer. They were for sure the difference in the series.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
How were they better? Four complete fluky goals?
In terms of shots and chances Kings had the edge through 5 games.

Could have been some score effects happening, but its not like the Oilers were dominating them 5v5.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Anybody but Vegas in the West goes to the finals this year, it's because of easy matchups. The groundwork has already been laid.

Reactions: North Cole

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

Outgoing
Faber
Vilardi
Iafallo
Kupari
MTL 2nd
Durzi
Walker
Grans
Petersen
LA 1st
LA 2nd

Incoming
Hayden Hodgson
Kevin Connauton
PLD extended x 8
Fiala
But it was worth pissing off mark stone in the preseason.

I feel for kings fans. That's some chia level incompetence and we might be one of the few fan bases that can relate.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers fans sure seem to think every time an oiler falls, it's slewfoot. Can't possibly be anything else.

I'm an extreme Oiler fan. Agree we whine about officiating too much but every other fan base does as well. I try not to.

Just curious - what slewfoot are people bitching about that you think wasn't? I saw a few of them. Uncalled.

Reactions: Czechboy

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Kings fans aren’t pissed off about losing to the Oilers 3 years in a row. At this point it’s that the team has taken what would be an upward tending prospect pool and better performances by the roster. 3 years later Blake had drained that prospect pool dry; whilehaving the roster perform worse and making their cap situation dire.

Beach Culture country club has this team in purgatory for the foreseeable future. Blake and Robitaille are parasites. They have f***ed up everything in the GM capacity. Development is terrible, drafting has been abysmal, contracts have been a F, and trades have all been a net loss. All the while cap management and roster management being his worst offenses.

I wouldn’t hire him to run a lemonade stand!

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I'm an extreme Oiler fan. Agree we whine about officiating too much but every other fan base does as well. I try not to.

Just curious - what slewfoot are people bitching about that you think wasn't? I saw a few of them. Uncalled.
A few posts earlier an Oiler fan was explaining all the Kings penalties and was calling PLD's "holding" penalty a slewfoot, Fiala a known diver, etc.
Either they are extremely biased or they have an extremely loose definition of slewfoot. Or maybe some of both.
And McDavid and Drasaitl are also known divers to other fan bases but they never get called. Diving in general rarely get called.

I agree with you that most fans whine about officiating maybe too much, but definitely understandable during the game when everyone's a little on edge.
But I see Oiler fans still talking about stuff happening 1-2 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad