Line Combos: Edmonton Oilers '21-22 Line Combo Prediction & Discussion Thread

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nuge - McDavid - Pulju (don’t mess with it unless it stops working)

Hyman - Drai - Kassian (if the rumours of Kass in the top 6 are true, this makes sense. As big and physical of a line as you’ll see anywhere)

Foegele - Ryan - Yamo (decently gritty 3rd line. All 3 should be in the 30-40 point range)

Holloway/Benson - McLeod - Archibald (Holland wants to give the young guys a shot. Let’s see what happens)

Shore (versatile and doesn’t hurt you out there)
Turris (he’s reportedly been training hard. Could see him taking the spot from McLeod)

Nurse - Barrie (arguably the best pairing in the NHL last year. Leave it alone)

Keith - Ceci (Keith said he wants to play with a vet. Ceci’s not Larsson, but he’s unquestionably no worse than a #5, and plays a decently consistent game)

Russell - Bouchard (Russell is definitely declining, but he’s still a decent partner for Bouch if we don’t end up signing someone better)

Lagesson (proved enough last year to be on the roster)

Smith (he’s the starter. There’s no arguing it)

Koskinen/Stalock (there’s no harm in giving Stalock a shot. If he outplays Koski, we know we have a backup ready in the minors if someone gets hurt, because nobody is claiming that contract)

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
First of all, this lineup generally gives me some hope because of some obvious improvements...we'll make our mark on the standings for sure.

A couple of minor points only...I'm almost certain that Foegele will play on the 2nd with Drai. While Yams had hustle, there were few results. Foegele delivers there and will work well with Drai. Yams can be a part of a fire-cracker 3rd line (following the TB approach).

Hope to see Lagesson on the 3rd pairing instead of Russell. Better physical play, puck movement and defensive range (star-fishing is not playing defence). Lag is ready...Russell is done.

Go Oilers!

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Edmonton Oilers.. more like Edmonton Greybeards :popcorn:
evan-bouchard-2021-41.jpg

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
First of all, this lineup generally gives me some hope because of some obvious improvements...we'll make our mark on the standings for sure.

A couple of minor points only...I'm almost certain that Foegele will play on the 2nd with Drai. While Yams had hustle, there were few results. Foegele delivers there and will work well with Drai. Yams can be a part of a fire-cracker 3rd line (following the TB approach).

Hope to see Lagesson on the 3rd pairing instead of Russell. Better physical play, puck movement and defensive range (star-fishing is not playing defence). Lag is ready...Russell is done.

Go Oilers!

I think Foegele plays LW, no?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Foegele - Drai - Yamo
Holloway - RNH - Kassian
Archi - Ryan - McLeod
Shore/Benson

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Russell - Bouchard
Lagesson

Smith
Koskinen
Stalock

Maybe room for a depth LD. Would obviously like to see another G over Koskinen but might not happen at this point.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
This team looks like they could score 350 goals next season and still miss the playoffs.
I'm not convinced our defense is all that bad. I hate the fact that we are probably going to be stuck with Smith and Kostawin (see what I did there.) That's a really really sketchy duo. It scares me. :help: It won't shock me if we get eliminated in the first round again.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I was really hoping you guys had a line combo thread! Wanted to provide compliments and a shoutout to hyman. Regardless of the contract, RIGHT NOW you guys got a phenomenal player.

For him, in terms of usage, youd have an absolutely dominant duo if he gets paired with drai. Hymans puck retrieval and won battles on the forecheck is top tier. He works best in a down low cycle game, short passes, and garbage goals. The way drai can slow the game down and utilize his power to get open or create space will lead to alot of quality chances when he has a puck hound feeding him or shooting for rebounds.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I see Bouchard as an upgrade over Bear in many defensive facets; from what I've seen of Bouchard, he seems to be just as mobile as Bear, but is 6'3," 200 lbs, and with a much longer reach.
Ill gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I already would trust Bouchard, over Bear, in more playoff game defensive zone situations.

Bouchard is easily more mobile than Bear was last season. With Bouch it's about defensive awareness and tying up sticks in front of the net.

I think Foegele plays LW, no?

I've watched 1-1/3 of his games, one from last season and 1/3 of a game from the previous season. He played RW in both games. I'm not sure where Holland and Tipp see him playing, but it was definitely not uncommon for him to be on the right wing in Carolina in spite of being a left shot.

Reactions: TFHockey

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not convinced our defense is all that bad. I hate the fact that we are probably going to be stuck with Smith and Kostawin (see what I did there.) That's a really really sketchy duo. It scares me. :help: It won't shock me if we get eliminated in the first round again.

Honestly, I think that Keith is a lot better than the analytics community believes that he is. I'm sticking to that opinion until/unless I'm proven wrong this season. IMO his puck moving ability and yes, his defense will be a big add to our 2nd pairing.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Anyone who says the Oilers will miss the playoffs should explain what teams from the titans of the Pacific will be the one to knock them out.

San Jose? lol
Anaheim? lol
LA? lol
Calgary? lol x 2

Last edited:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Honestly, I think that Keith is a lot better than the analytics community believes that he is. I'm sticking to that opinion until/unless I'm proven wrong this season. IMO his puck moving ability and yes, his defense will be a big add to our 2nd pairing.

I know it's cliche at this point, but only the Oilers D-core will be able to illustrate the impact of having a D-man who was able to completely take control of some of the most intense playoff series I've seen, year after year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Have a feeling Tippett is still going to stack the 1st line, and maybe slot Hyman with Nuge and Yamo. All 3 of those players are effective 2 way forwards, and it would interesting to see how productive that line might be

Hoping Kyle Turris to resurrect his former; the games he played towards the end of the season, he seemed hungry and focused, but then got injured again. He's still only 31, and if he can bring that game back he had a few years ago, he'll maybe turn into our most important bottom 6 forward

Fully anticipating Tyler Benson to make the roster, as he's now waiver eligible. 100% he'll get claimed. Maybe even give Cooper Marody a few looks, as he's also waiver eligible now

Kris Russell looked pretty good in game 4 vs Winnipeg. He was one of the 4 defenseman Tippett rotated in all three overtime periods. I think he's a perfect partner for Evan Bouchard on the 3rd pairing. The former reigning shot blocking king, can evolve the element of Bouchard's game that needs tuning the most

All the panic surrounding Koskinen and his contract, is setting him up to have a bounce back season. It's his final year, probably his last chance in the NHL. He's literally playing for his life this year. Mikko had a really tough year last season, but he was also our better goaltender the year prior. It's very possible Mike Smith loses a step, and Koskinen plays his heart out

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
With zero cap space (Klefbom's LTIR gives us enough to sign Yamamoto) I see things as:

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Foegele - Ryan - Arch
Shore - McLeod - Kassian

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Russell*- Bouchard

Koskinen/Smith

The Oiler forward group is better than ever. Holloway might make the team out of camp making one of the bottom six wingers expendable.

The Oilers still need help on defense but I predict they will start the year with those defensive pairings. I see this group as weaker without Bear and Larsson. Not ideal.

I predict Holland will sign Yamamoto to a 2 year bridge deal around $2.5 Million.

The Oilers still need a true starter in net.

The two contracts that should be moved out are Zack Kassian (three years @ $3.2 Million) and Mikko Koskinen (one year @ $4.5 Million, M-NTC , 15 team no trade list**)

Question: What can Holland go get with no cap space and these two players taking up room on the roster? What is the one key area he MUST address?

*Lagesson instead?
**unbelievable

Yes. But I actually hate the RW side more. Puljujärvi should start as a 3rd liner and feast on 3rd line opposition. He is made that way, taking adevantage of inferior opposition. Dont like Foegle either as a 1RW, he needs time to settle in the new team, finding his balance here but it is what it is.

Hyman McDavid Foegle
The known line where Drai carries Yam
Archibald Roy Puljujärvi
Shore MacLeod Kassian - speed and energy.

Benson compete with Macleod for a spot, Shore fills the 4C in that case

Nurse Barrie
Kieth Bouchard
Lag Ceci

Very fragile D. Two injuries away from K Russell playing top 4, and Ceci being top pair. If Nurse breaks, Ceci and Lagesson is Oilers defensive saftey

Dont buy Koskknen out. Jneccedary. Keep him and work with is major flaws and movements. And then his cap is gone next year

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

The D is pretty much going to live and die on the ability of a 38 year old to play top 4 minutes without a ton of elite support (though the improved top 9 should help). Goaltending as it stands is a mess.

As for lines, I'm surprised to see people putting Foegele in the top 6 over Yamomoto when the latter is three younger and already more productive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The D is pretty much going to live and die on the ability of a 38 year old to play top 4 minutes without a ton of elite support (though the improved top 9 should help). Goaltending as it stands is a mess.

As for lines, I'm surprised to see people putting Foegele in the top 6 over Yamomoto when the latter is three younger and already more productive.

A 38 year old first ballot HOFer. And yes, the fact that we SHOULD have a better and deeper forward lineup should help us to play in the oppositions end more than we have the last number of seasons, that should help our defense.

Goaltending is our biggest issue unless Smith returns to the same form as last season and Koskinen plays much, much better. That's too many "if's" for my liking on such an important position.

Foegele is bigger, stronger and has more NHL experience under his belt. Yamamoto hit the skids pretty hard last season, unless he rebounds quickly, I don't see why that is such a controversial take?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

If Holloway makes the jump to our top-6 (believable), I could see Zuge playing with McLovin on our 3rd.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
A 38 year old first ballot HOFer.

Time comes for them too.

And yes, the fact that we SHOULD have a better and deeper forward lineup should help us to play in the oppositions end more than we have the last number of seasons, that should help our defense.

Maybe, they could also spend a lot of time in our own end because I don't think this D is improved when it comes to breakouts.

Goaltending is our biggest issue unless Smith returns to the same form as last season and Koskinen plays much, much better. That's too many "if's" for my liking on such an important position.

League average golatending should be enough, but it also might be a lot to ask for from that pair.

Foegele is bigger, stronger and has more NHL experience under his belt. Yamamoto hit the skids pretty hard last season, unless he rebounds quickly, I don't see why that is such a controversial take?

Not controversial, but I would give Yamo a chance to get back on track before replacing him with a guy who has been a bottom sixer for his whole career. I'm sure they'll each get a look.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Time comes for them too.

Time comes for everyone, point being that he has tools and hockey IQ that most never dream of, so he has a bigger bag of tools to draw from than most at his age.

Maybe, they could also spend a lot of time in our own end because I don't think this D is improved when it comes to breakouts.

Inserting Bouchard automatically improves our breakout. I can't see Ceci being any worse than Larsson in this regard and Keith will be better at them than any LD not named Nurse from last season so I 100% disagree with you on this point.

League average golatending should be enough, but it also might be a lot to ask for from that pair.

To get to the playoffs, definitely. The issue is that IMO that is not good enough.

Not controversial, but I would give Yamo a chance to get back on track before replacing him with a guy who has been a bottom sixer for his whole career. I'm sure they'll each get a look.

Fair enough, we'll see what Tipp and the players have in mind based on their play in camp.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I'm not sure the defense will really be that much worse than last year.

Even though Keith is old, I hard to believe that he will be worse than Russell, Lagesson, Koekkoek, Jones etc on the second pairing. Surely he has to be somewhat of an upgrade even if you believe that analytics. I've read even some analytics people who do a deep dive on the numbers, and think hes better than what the numbers are showing. I dont like the 5.5 mil cap hit but I dont think the player is as bad as some are making him out to be.

Russell/Lagesson or if they bring someone else in will be slotted in where they should be playing. Maybe Samurokov impresses. I think theres a chance.

Ceci vs Larssson. I think Ceci isnt going to be able to match Larssons year from last year. That being said, I'm not sure that Larsson could replicate his year from last year based on his inconsistent history.

I think Bouchard was good enough to be a regular last year. Now he has a spot, and doesnt have to worry about someone taking it. I think hes going to be an upgrade on Bear personally.

Will be interesting to see if Nurse can replicate his year next year. He was pretty good last year but honestly the guy has pretty much consistently got better each year so I dont think its really wise to assume that hes plateau'd until he has plateau'd.

I'm not sure the defense will be better than last year but I dont think its going to be worse in my opinion. The risk is more about the goaltending. It will be difficult for Smith to replicate his year obviously but the guy is a competitor. I'm not sure that Koskinen will be worse than last year (if hes still here, once the season starts).

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Even though Keith is old, I hard to believe that he will be worse than Russell, Lagesson, Koekkoek, Jones etc on the second pairing. Surely he has to be somewhat of an upgrade even if you believe that analytics. I've read even some analytics people who do a deep dive on the numbers, and think hes better than what the numbers are showing. I dont like the 5.5 mil cap hit but I dont think the player is as bad as some are making him out to be.

Russell/Lagesson or if they bring someone else in will be slotted in where they should be playing. Maybe Samurokov impresses. I think theres a chance.

Ceci vs Larssson. I think Ceci isnt going to be able to match Larssons year from last year. That being said, I'm not sure that Larsson could replicate his year from last year based on his inconsistent history.

I think Bouchard was good enough to be a regular last year. Now he has a spot, and doesnt have to worry about someone taking it. I think hes going to be an upgrade on Bear personally.

Will be interesting to see if Nurse can replicate his year next year. He was pretty good last year but honestly the guy has pretty much consistently got better each year so I dont think its really wise to assume that hes plateau'd until he has plateau'd.

I'm not sure the defense will be better than last year but I dont think its going to be worse in my opinion. The risk is more about the goaltending. It will be difficult for Smith to replicate his year obviously but the guy is a competitor. I'm not sure that Koskinen will be worse than last year (if hes still here, once the season starts).

The bolded is very important when evaluating this D. It’s not extremely likely that Larsson replicates his good season from last year. Even if he does (or is close to it), what are the chances he plays well for the next 4? That was part of the risk of re-signing him as well, and I remember there was some trepidation about that during talks of an extension during the season. Ceci has had a rough start to his career but had trended upwards the last two as he’s hitting prime age for a D. There is some risk but re-signing Larsson was also risky considering his past seasons and back injury concerns

Then it’s Bear out for Bouchard in, which should be a wash. Bouchard’s defensive play is much better than he’s given credit. His offensive ability will already exceed Bear’s this season

Keith > any of the rotating cast that was moonlighting in the top 4LD spot

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

The other thing I would say about the defense is, I think the forwards this year will help more than the previous year. I think Hyman, Foegele, Ryan etc will help the Oilers to play more in the other teams zone and will play better in their own zone. This should help the Defense and ultimately the goaltending as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad