Line Combos: Edmonton Oilers '21-22 Line Combo Prediction & Discussion Thread

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Time comes for everyone, point being that he has tools and hockey IQ that most never dream of, so he has a bigger bag of tools to draw from than most at his age.

Tools and hockey IQ don't matter when your body can't do what it used to.

I'm not sure the defense will really be that much worse than last year.

Even though Keith is old, I hard to believe that he will be worse than Russell, Lagesson, Koekkoek, Jones etc on the second pairing. Surely he has to be somewhat of an upgrade even if you believe that analytics. I've read even some analytics people who do a deep dive on the numbers, and think hes better than what the numbers are showing. I dont like the 5.5 mil cap hit but I dont think the player is as bad as some are making him out to be.

I think people are being blinded by Keith's resume. Any other acquisition with the same age and recent track record wouldn't be given the same benefit of the doubt. And I just don't think it matters at this point. The list of HOF D men who were done by Keith's age is long and distinguished.

Ceci vs Larssson. I think Ceci isnt going to be able to match Larssons year from last year. That being said, I'm not sure that Larsson could replicate his year from last year based on his inconsistent history.

Ceci hasn't been a model of consistency either and I think his ceiling is lower than Larsson's. Keith-Larsson would have been a better pairing for sure.

I think Bouchard was good enough to be a regular last year. Now he has a spot, and doesnt have to worry about someone taking it. I think hes going to be an upgrade on Bear personally.

Depends on who he's riding shotgun with. I'm not sure he can carry a pairing with a guy like Russell or Lagesson at this stage.

Ideally, we would have kept Larsson, signed another LD and made Keith-Bouchard the third pairing but it is what it is.

Keith > any of the rotating cast that was moonlighting in the top 4LD spot

But Larsson>Ceci so I'd call it a wash at best.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Tools and hockey IQ don't matter when your body can't do what it used to.

I think people are being blinded by Keith's resume. Any other acquisition with the same age and recent track record wouldn't be given the same benefit of the doubt. And I just don't think it matters at this point. The list of HOF D men who were done by Keith's age is long and distinguished.

Ceci hasn't been a model of consistency either and I think his ceiling is lower than Larsson's. Keith-Larsson would have been a better pairing for sure.

Depends on who he's riding shotgun with. I'm not sure he can carry a pairing with a guy like Russell or Lagesson at this stage.

Ideally, we would have kept Larsson, signed another LD and made Keith-Bouchard the third pairing but it is what it is.

But Larsson>Ceci so I'd call it a wash at best.

Is the mediocre Larsson we got for 2/5 seasons better than good Ceci? The big questions will be what version of Larsson would we get (I’ll be checking out Kraken games just to see what version of him plays this season), and what version of Ceci that we do get this season (and so on).

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The D is pretty much going to live and die on the ability of a 38 year old to play top 4 minutes without a ton of elite support (though the improved top 9 should help). Goaltending as it stands is a mess.

As for lines, I'm surprised to see people putting Foegele in the top 6 over Yamomoto when the latter is three younger and already more productive.

I think the downgrade in production and adoption of being a NHLer took a hit when he was out of all first year "tricks in the hat". I would like to shelter Yamamoto u til he findd a stride again, not just hunting around and doesnt find a winning way.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Nuge - McDavid - Pulju (don’t mess with it unless it stops working)

Hyman - Drai - Kassian (if the rumours of Kass in the top 6 are true, this makes sense. As big and physical of a line as you’ll see anywhere)

Foegele - Ryan - Yamo (decently gritty 3rd line. All 3 should be in the 30-40 point range)

Holloway/Benson - McLeod - Archibald (Holland wants to give the young guys a shot. Let’s see what happens)

Shore (versatile and doesn’t hurt you out there)
Turris (he’s reportedly been training hard. Could see him taking the spot from McLeod)

Nurse - Barrie (arguably the best pairing in the NHL last year. Leave it alone)

Keith - Ceci (Keith said he wants to play with a vet. Ceci’s not Larsson, but he’s unquestionably no worse than a #5, and plays a decently consistent game)

Russell - Bouchard (Russell is definitely declining, but he’s still a decent partner for Bouch if we don’t end up signing someone better)

Lagesson (proved enough last year to be on the roster)

Smith (he’s the starter. There’s no arguing it)

Koskinen/Stalock (there’s no harm in giving Stalock a shot. If he outplays Koski, we know we have a backup ready in the minors if someone gets hurt, because nobody is claiming that contract)

Nuge McDavid Pulju working? Ok.. Does Nuge and Pulju work together?

What I wonder with Holland is if he doesnt want rookies to be given spots, when are they gonna get experience? Never?

MacLeod and Benson are well past their 20s,and still Holland is "unsure" of the.. Sounds like Italy, when children moves out g
From their homes in the age of 30s.

On top of that,Holland want to biy players with experience - things that others have been betgeron working on than hinself.

If I whreBenson, MacLeod, I would ask for a trade if I get benched in 10 games in.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nuge McDavid Pulju working? Ok.. Does Nuge and Pulju work together?

What I wonder with Holland is if he doesnt want rookies to be given spots, when are they gonna get experience? Never?

MacLeod and Benson are well past their 20s,and still Holland is "unsure" of the.. Sounds like Italy, when children moves out g
From their homes in the age of 30s.

On top of that,Holland want to biy players with experience - things that others have been betgeron working on than hinself.

If I whreBenson, MacLeod, I would ask for a trade if I get benched in 10 games in.

Nuge and McDavid works, and Pulju and McDavid works, so that’s the main thing.

McLeod is 21. How is that well past 20?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Nuge and McDavid works, and Pulju and McDavid works, so that’s the main thing.

McLeod is 21. How is that well past 20?

21 is a sophmore season age in good developingprogram teams. OfC it depends on the player, but I doubt rhat Holland is good developing. He buys others finnished products, who plays. Prospects stand by the side and watch, gets old, becoming 3-4th liners, or Europa bound

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
21 is a sophmore season age in good developingprogram teams. OfC it depends on the player, but I doubt rhat Holland is good developing. He buys others finnished products, who plays. Prospects stand by the side and watch, gets old, becoming 3-4th liners, or Europa bound

Lidstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov, Drake, Knuble, Osgood, McCarty, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, etc were all non 1st round picks where he was either GM or head of scouting. The most successful way of developing prospects is literally called the Detroit model. That’s literally the thing he’s best at. That’s like saying you don’t think Yzerman knows how to lay the foundation for a cup contender

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Lidstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov, Drake, Knuble, Osgood, McCarty, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, etc were all non 1st round picks where he was either GM or head of scouting. The most successful way of developing prospects is literally called the Detroit model. That’s literally the thing he’s best at. That’s like saying you don’t think Yzerman knows how to lay the foundation for a cup contender

Kozlov, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, Hollmström have all two things in common.

1 They where good talents, and only Håkan the scout held his eyes open fpr them. Other scouts and GMs where stupid.

2 They where all big talents, except maybe Holmström, in their own eight, and developed outside of the Dettoit org in USA. They developed and build their game in their home countries. We already knew Zetterberg would be a star in NHL when he came over. It had absolute zero to do with Holland and his model or understanding.

I stand with my point. Holland is far from a developing genius. Its his scouts that finds talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad