Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Teams are getting up to play Edmonton this year. They will face it for 82 games......everyone wants to play spoiler, dethrone the would-be kings.

They had better adapt or they will find themselves on the outside looking in.

I know it's early....but Talbot being pulled in consecutive games is a bit of a worry. That can get in your head, and we all know how bat **** crazy goalies are.

I don't really subscribe to this "getting up to play Edmonton" argument a few people have mentioned. At least, not to be used as a meaningful reason for losing games early in the season. I mean, Edmonton isn't the only team that teams go in wanting to beat.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Teams are getting up to play Edmonton this year. They will face it for 82 games......everyone wants to play spoiler, dethrone the would-be kings.

They had better adapt or they will find themselves on the outside looking in.

I know it's early....but Talbot being pulled in consecutive games is a bit of a worry. That can get in your head, and we all know how bat **** crazy goalies are.

Honestly not trying to insult Edmonton here but they haven't won anything so there's nothing to dethrone. I'm not sure why teams would be getting up to play them more than, say, the Preds. At least they can say they're the WC champs and there's something to 'dethrone' there.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Teams are getting up to play Edmonton this year. They will face it for 82 games......everyone wants to play spoiler, dethrone 8the would-be kings.

This is not a thing. These are NHL teams that want to win every night. And if it were a thing, please explain how other good teams do well?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd love to pile on the Oilers, and do think they have mucho holes in their roster, but the fact is they're leading the league in xGF% at even strength, and 2nd in all situations.

They're a very good team that are getting unlucky so far.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'd love to pile on the Oilers, and do think they have mucho holes in their roster, but the fact is they're leading the league in xGF% at even strength, and 2nd in all situations.

They're a very good team that are getting unlucky so far.

Definitely a factor but the entire roster top to bottom, McDavid included, has really struggled with their execution and effort level. But I'm confident they will find their groove and the bounces will even out a bit.

Their early season schedule doesn't help either, a younger team like the Oilers needs to be on the ice in games as much as possible early so far they've had 5 days and now 3 days in between games, not ideal.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
This is not a thing. These are NHL teams that want to win every night. And if it were a thing, please explain how other good teams do well?

I see it this way.....

As recent as last season teams would roll into Edmonton with an attitude of "easy win", and up until last year it was, for the most part.

Last year they were tougher to beat, especially at home. I believe this caught a lot of teams off guard. This year they are going into Edmonton knowing that they have a fight on their hands and are playing them harder. The "de-throning" comment was in regard to most "experts" claiming a SCF appearance.

I look at it like this.....Edmonton strolled into Vancouver after the Calgary game thinking they were going to walk over them. That's the same attitude that other teams took going into Edmonton.

Not saying it's a fact.....just my opinion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lots of teams have hot starts or crap starts. Edmonton looks awful. Vegas looks great. Weird things happen at the start of a season. If they haven't worked out their issues in 2 or 3 weeks, then I'll be worried. But for now, its too early for this type of talk.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Lots of teams have hot starts or crap starts. Edmonton looks awful. Vegas looks great. Weird things happen at the start of a season. If they haven't worked out their issues in 2 or 3 weeks, then I'll be worried. But for now, its too early for this type of talk.

Pretty much. They're a talented team who's had a rough start, and are missing Draisaitl and Sekera. Talbot has been shit, but he'll get it together. McDavid needs to wake the f*** up though. Played incredible against Calgary, then just disappeared.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
People make too much about this stuff, I only 4 games that they have played so far. I do admit that they were completely outplayed by the Senators but that can happen to any team (Pittsburgh lost 10 - 1 in their opener but they are one of the best)

Look at this Oilers team, the talent / depth they have it's going to change as this team is quiet capable of stringing together their own winning streak or winning 4 out of next 5 games

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I wouldn't worry about Edmonton. Not playing well right now but like the highs and lows of the other 30 teams it's early in the season. I'd be more surprised if it continues like this 15-20 games in.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Good ol' Chiarelli. Horrible gm in Boston, horrible in Edmonton. Guy values heavy bodies but the league has become a fast league. He overvalued guys like Lucic and Maroon. Maroon is in no way a 1st line guy but if he has two solid players he can work. But the problem is the Oilers only have 2 solid forwards in their entire lineup so now all you have to do is focus on one line. They have the worst second line in the entire league and two fourth lines. They overpaid for Kris Russell who is a 6th dman, not a number 4. It's a horribly run franchise that got lucky how many times for he lottery and if not for all that they'd be dead last. How a team can still be mediocre after winning the lottery 4 times in 5 years is beyond me. Chiarelli hands out of contracts all the time. Guy is a horrible negotiator. Watch Maroon get 5 per year! Lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Good ol' Chiarelli. Horrible gm in Boston, horrible in Edmonton. Guy values heavy bodies but the league has become a fast league. He overvalued guys like Lucic and Maroon. Maroon is in no way a 1st line guy but if he has two solid players he can work. But the problem is the Oilers only have 2 solid forwards in their entire lineup so now all you have to do is focus on one line. They have the worst second line in the entire league and two fourth lines. They overpaid for Kris Russell who is a 6th dman, not a number 4. It's a horribly run franchise that got lucky how many times for he lottery and if not for all that they'd be dead last. How a team can still be mediocre after winning the lottery 4 times in 5 years is beyond me. Chiarelli hands out of contracts all the time. Guy is a horrible negotiator. Watch Maroon get 5 per year! Lol
That "horrible GM in Boston" won Boston their Stanley Cup. The current management team has had one lottery win. One. Did our former management run it poorly? Yep. But you can't say that it is mismanaged when looking at the job that the current management team has done. The lone questionable piece is the Russell deal, but you are wrong when you say he is a #6. His past three NHL GM's used him as a #4, just like we are now. He's very underrated. And slightly overpaid, but not so much that it makes him impossible to move (remember, RD get a premium). How did he overvalue Maroon exactly? He gave up nothing to get him, and Anaheim is paying half of his salary? Lucic is still one of the top power forwards in the league, you are fooling yourself if you think he is overpaid.

Basically, when I look at your post, my first reaction was that you must think its opposite day, because nearly everything you say is incorrect.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
As good as McDavid is, it’s still a team sport. He is going to be fine. The Oilers, I’m not so sure.

And this Edmonton team lost almost every puck battle against the Sens and Canucks. Is that a coaching problem? A personnel problem?

Losing can be a contagious disease.
It's in the players. They are feeling sorry for themselves because they have had horrible puck luck. Its a long season. Its 4 games in. Long ways to go. It'll get sorted out

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I see it this way.....

As recent as last season teams would roll into Edmonton with an attitude of "easy win", and up until last year it was, for the most part.

Last year they were tougher to beat, especially at home. I believe this caught a lot of teams off guard. This year they are going into Edmonton knowing that they have a fight on their hands and are playing them harder. The "de-throning" comment was in regard to most "experts" claiming a SCF appearance.

I look at it like this.....Edmonton strolled into Vancouver after the Calgary game thinking they were going to walk over them. That's the same attitude that other teams took going into Edmonton.

Not saying it's a fact.....just my opinion.

I'd attribute that more to Edmonton thinking they are too good to lose than the teams getting pumped up to play them.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That "horrible GM in Boston" won Boston their Stanley Cup. The current management team has had one lottery win. One. Did our former management run it poorly? Yep. But you can't say that it is mismanaged when looking at the job that the current management team has done. The lone questionable piece is the Russell deal, but you are wrong when you say he is a #6. His past three NHL GM's used him as a #4, just like we are now. He's very underrated. And slightly overpaid, but not so much that it makes him impossible to move (remember, RD get a premium). How did he overvalue Maroon exactly? He gave up nothing to get him, and Anaheim is paying half of his salary? Lucic is still one of the top power forwards in the league, you are fooling yourself if you think he is overpaid.

Basically, when I look at your post, my first reaction was that you must think its opposite day, because nearly everything you say is incorrect.

Russel isn't over payed, his contract is just 2 years to long. The main problem this season is that Talbot is having a rough start and the team is making some defensive errors. We are also depending to much on sophomore players to step up from last year.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
It's in the players. They are feeling sorry for themselves because they have had horrible puck luck. Its a long season. Its 4 games in. Long ways to go. It'll get sorted out

The probability is that it can get sorted out. But we’ve all seen the damage to playoff hopes even by December.

The big worry is, wtf has happened to McD? He has bordered on invisible to incompetent.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Waaaay to early to panic lol. While I don't think the Oilers are this definite contender some think they are, they are at the least a playoff team. The league will start to normal out soon.

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
McDavid's prime years will probably be wasted in Edmonton because of management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad