Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Too bad we couldn't get real arrogant if that's what it takes to get to the GC.

I wonder if Rhodes will walk past the EE dressing room on Sunday and wonder why his team didn't come close to occupying it for the big game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Door was wide open this year too. Every team was beatable. Hopefully all the media that descends this week really takes this organization to task, but I'm sure it'll be nothing but glad handing and unearned praise.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Door was wide open this year too. Every team was beatable. Hopefully all the media that descends this week really takes this organization to task, but I'm sure it'll be nothing but glad handing and unearned praise.

Ultimately the door is open every year because with the right strategies you can beat anyone even if you have inferior talent. The Stamps were quite beatable the last 2 years as we saw in the GC games.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's the reality of Matt Nichols as your QB. You can dink and dunk to minimize the mistakes, but you often can't score enough points to win against a good team.

Bold prediction: Calgary chokes again. They're weaker this year than the last two.
I think they win. Ottawa has been brutal coming out west. Even we beat them when we couldn’t beat anybody else. Maybe if the game was played in the east I’d like their chances more. I’m still going to root for Ottawa because there’s nothing that would fill my heart with joy more than seeing Calgary lose but I don’t think it happens this time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BLM played a good enough game. Had some really good minutes, and worlds apart from Nichols at QB. Nichols with an absolute groaner performance and really wasn't much against the riders either.

But as good as BLM looked theres garbage moments in his game that rear up under pressure. He passed the ball back to a lineman standing on his own 1yd line in a close game. Had that resulted in a fumble, and a Bombers TD it would have to go down as the stupidest play of the season. What on Earth was he doing there and why? Its not ideal but of course you just eat the ball there and give up the two points. Far better than giving up 7. BLM Just loses his head sometimes. He's very fortunate the lineman, who typically are not great at ball handling, was alert and caught the ball and didn't fumble it as he was gang tackled on the goal line.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So the absolute worst result possible. The Esks host the Grey Cup, everybody in Edmonton is by now disgusted with the Eskimos and the Stamps are taking over our dressingroom only to possibly lift the cup in our stadium. After drubbing the Oilers in the BOA this weekend.

These are the worst ever sports days Edmonton Brethren.

As if it could get worse the Esks are starting he Grey Cup Celebrations with an all rap show tomorrow night. 3 different rap artists, I've heard not one tune by any of them. Does it ALWAYS have to be rap. jebus.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So the absolute worst result possible. The Esks host the Grey Cup, everybody in Edmonton is by now disgusted with the Eskimos and the Stamps are taking over our dressingroom only to possibly lift the cup in our stadium. After drubbing the Oilers in the BOA this weekend.

These are the worst ever sports days Edmonton Brethren.

As if it could get worse the Esks are starting he Grey Cup Celebrations with an all rap show tomorrow night. 3 different rap artists, I've heard not one tune by any of them. Does it ALWAYS have to be rap. jebus.

Well, at least now you know how much worse my musical selections for the GDTs can be. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, at least now you know how much worse my musical selections for the GDTs can be. ;)

I went to spotify to attempt to listen to any of the artists of the kickoff party to see if there was one track I could even like. I dunno. It seems rappers like Kardinal Offishall have a pretty specific GTA following. Although I'm not understanding why. His music seems really sophomoric, contrived, formulaic. Anything that he does seems much better done before. Case in point being "Tide is high"

Then I go look and this guys following isn't really all that great. Not only do I not think much about his music he plays small shows, limited following etc. This is a headliner for our Grey Cup kickoff? This is the carrot to get people to go out?

The most hilarious thing is the Grey Cup organizers seem to be taking a huge page out of the last Toronto Grey Cup. You know, that City that doesn't give a toss about the CFL. This is like the Toronto inspired Edmonton Grey Cup imported.

Last edited:

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
I wanted to see the Trews but $75 for the pre-game tailgate party and concert is ridiculous IMO. Is that the norm?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wanted to see the Trews but $75 for the pre-game tailgate party and concert is ridiculous IMO. Is that the norm?

Seems real steep but theres 3 tailgate parties and prices from 75-125 bucks listed. I can only think it includes food and some drink.

But heres the deal. The Esks have done this kind of shit before and now with 3 different tailgates (not sure what they are thinking) the reality is that all of these will be poorly attended. If precedent is anything they will be dropping those prices like rocks the moment they notice people aren't buying. We've also walked right into some of these without paying. Not hard to do once they are going on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Travis Lulay is going to be a better analyst when he retires than anyone currently on the TSN panel.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Seems real steep but theres 3 tailgate parties and prices from 75-125 bucks listed. I can only think it includes food and some drink.

But heres the deal. The Esks have done this kind of **** before and now with 3 different tailgates (not sure what they are thinking) the reality is that all of these will be poorly attended. If precedent is anything they will be dropping those prices like rocks the moment they notice people aren't buying. We've also walked right into some of these without paying. Not hard to do once they are going on.
I just expect the average person like me is going to have a few appetizers and bevvies before the game so why wouldn't they make it easier for me to partake in their Commonwealth hospitality? I would have gladly enjoyed the party and would spend close to $75 anyway on booze and food. Instead I'll be at an unaffiliated bar until shortly before game time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just expect the average person like me is going to have a few appetizers and bevvies before the game so why wouldn't they make it easier for me to partake in their Commonwealth hospitality? I would have gladly enjoyed the party and would spend close to $75 anyway on booze and food. Instead I'll be at an unaffiliated bar until shortly before game time.

Your first mistake is expecting what this org does to make any sense. They are horrible at setting stuff like this up and horrible at assessing what people want, or like, or will partake in.

f***, last time my Grey Cup seats only cost 99bucks to get into the game. Now they want 75-125 bucks to get into a pregame tailgate party? I wouldn't pay that this time if it included seats to the game.

Do these fools even realize where the economy is at?

What demand is there, in Edmonton, to go to a tailgate of a GC game featuring Calgary and Ottawa. It approaches zero interest. A lot of Esks fan are expressing no interest this time around due to the inept managemtnof the current org. People everywhere here are just losing any interest in the product.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone know who's idea it was to have the mascot named Justin Beaver? Seems like one of rodents great ideas

Its the CFL, Grey Cup mascot. I think this one was devised by the CFL, not sure about that, but this one not necessary to blame on Rhodes. Even though theres a likeness..

My own take is some slacker hire lobbed the name as an inside joke. Thinking that some would simply take it as a pun on Justin Bieber, with a Canadian Beaver.

Of course there's a lot of other sideways meaning.

i.e. colloquialisms of beaver and the oft stated Justin Cider pun.

Really I can't even think of the name without thinking its a gag that didn't get caught. some underling is probably laughing like crazy that he got this one across the base.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Starting to see a little more build up the Grey Cup around the city yet no where near it probably would be should Edmonton have been in it. We're heading downtown this weekend to check out some of the stuff. Gotta admit some of it looks pretty fun!

Also looks like the CFL is getting ever closer to announcing the Halifax team:
https://www.tsn.ca/halifax-cfl-name-down-to-schooners-storm-1.1214004

I think there's a good market out there for football and it would be nice to see them succeed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This kind of analysis pisses me off. Its shortsighted.

Grey Cup cash flow: Edmonton hotels, businesses winning as fans flock to events

The basic premise is that because more visitors to Grey Cup are out of town, due to Esks not being in it, that its a bonanza for business and the city. (This reminds me of Rhodes mantra that there is more than winning) Now I'm not saying that the Esks crapped to not make it, or folded the tent. but the onus this season was certainly putting a team on the field that had little chance of getting there, and was 50/50 to be a crossover. I mean this is obviously a worse lineup than Calgary, Sask, Winnipeg, particularly on D. From the word go I questioned how this lineup could compete. It just wasn't good enough.

Fans, particularly should be a little disgusted that specious economic studies like this are done and specifically isolating how much more money can be made if a home team is not in the game. Now whether or not a team throws a game or season that theres even a study giving a false rationale to do that, should be a little offensive to fans.

What the study doesn't feature, or include economically is how many Edmontonians this week are turning away in disgust. I went once to the Grey cup celebration and of course for me it feels like a wake. Worse that Calgary is in it. I would rather not be DT, and be reminded. I don't think I'm alone. This year a lot of Edmontonians are stayng away. The Grey cup didn't even sellout and thousands of locals are trying to sell their tickets at reduced cost. The study does not look at long term implications at all. The prospect of this season, and an Eskimoless Grey Cup, which I guaranteed would be the case, has caused this fan of 50yrs to have the least interest ever in the club. For only the 2nd or 3rd year in 5 decades of going I did not go to a single game and did not even want to go to a single game. The thought disgusted me due to reasons already stated about Rhodes and Sunderland.

The economic study does not factor in that this non Eskimo Grey Cup (again, we've made it once out of 5 hosted GC's and have never won at home) is taking the wind out of the sails of the former flagship club. The notion that its better economically, for the host team to not be in the Grey Cup is asinine. Because it considers no longterm impact of that, of allegiance, of civic pride, of ongoing local support of the club.

So that we have a Celebration that feels like its for other visitors. Whens the last time Edmonton fans had something to cheer about?

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Ya 85$ seems incredibly steep for the BP's tailgate party, will be going as the buddy I'll be going to the game with really wants to see The Trews. Hopefully there'll be some free Esks gear or food but I'm not getting my hopes up for that. Still looking forward to the game as cheering against the Stamps is better to me than the last grey cup in town with Montreal/SSK. Was at the west final last weekend and the game was fairly exciting when Winnipeg was within a field goal in the fourth quarter.

Maybe some day this Esks fan will be able to witness a grey cup in Edmonton hosted by the home team, still very disappointed that they didn't even make the playoffs in a hosting year. Even more disappointed that nobody in charge was let go, seems to be zero accountability in this organization, what a crock. Will not be renewing my season seats for next year. Maybe in ten years when they host the Grey Cup again, but looking at the resale tickets online it seems like it will be much cheaper to just purchase them the day before the game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
How did Terry Jones ever become parade marshall? What about Hugh Campbell, Tom Wilkinson or Norm Kimball (to name a few).

Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They couldn’t have asked for better weather for this game. Above zero and no wind. Pretty nice for a November 25th in Edmonton.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They couldn’t have asked for better weather for this game. Above zero and no wind. Pretty nice for a November 25th in Edmonton.

I was just going to post this as well. This weather is exemplary for Edmonton on Nov 25th.

The weather isnt going to help determine the outcome of this game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
ABC allday shouted from the rooftops. The only way this day isn't another disaster is if Ottawa takes it again.

lmao at economic stimulus. Busses from Calgary arriving today just in time for the game and promptly go home after. Not that theres many Stamps fans at anytime but they don't travel well these days, its not 1948, and most of Calgary barely cares about the league most days.

Funniest hubris I heard is that the Grey Cup and Nissan Titan area would have a combined half million visitors. Trumped up guesstimates. The DT site isn't even open at all today. They had only around 1K on Wednesday for the opening (I was there) They would have had to have 140K crowds every day there just to reach that mark.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
ABC allday shouted from the rooftops. The only way this day isn't another disaster is if Ottawa takes it again.

lmao at economic stimulus. Busses from Calgary arriving today just in time for the game and promptly go home after. Not that theres many Stamps fans at anytime but they don't travel well these days, its not 1948, and most of Calgary barely cares about the league most days.

Funniest hubris I heard is that the Grey Cup and Nissan Titan area would have a combined half million visitors. Trumped up guesstimates. The DT site isn't even open at all today. They had only around 1K on Wednesday for the opening (I was there) They would have had to have 140K crowds every day there just to reach that mark.
ABC indeed. Go Redblacks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad