Elks: Edmonton Eskimo Thread 3.0 : (12 - 6) 3rd in the West - Western Final Vs Calgary up next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Even a failed gamble would have been better than a FG. Calgary would have been on their own 5 yard line or thereabouts. Could have got the ball back at midfield with 40 seconds left if we forced a punt there. It was literally the worst of all possible decisions that could have been made. Taking a freaking knee would honestly have been a better call. The decision was that awful.

Wow Dave Campbell is actually defending this on the CHED postgame. Maybe he'll be the next Eskimos head coach, he sounds qualified.

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Even a failed gamble would have been better than a FG. Calgary would have been on their own 5 yard line or thereabouts. Could have got the ball back at midfield with 40 seconds left if we forced a punt there. It was literally the worst of all possible decisions that could have been made. Taking a freaking knee would honestly have been a better call. The decision was that awful.

Wow Dave Campbell is actually defending this on the CHED postgame. Maybe he'll be the next Eskimos head coach, he sounds qualified.

Yep. Keeping the team on the field is believing in your team. What does it convey to Reilly and the offense for this inexplicable decision. Anybody defending this is trolling. There is no defense for not going for the TD from the 13 with less than 2mins left.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Well, the other one literally took away a GC win.

This took away a potential tie with no guarantee of a win.

Both are bad though .

More at stake in the Riders situation. But this was the more inexplicable turn of events. 13 men is an accident. This was intentional.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Reminds me of TMac not knowing Team NA had to win in regulation to move on during the World Cup. Except this is much worse. Much much worse.
Pierre Creamer was coach of the Penguins early in Mario Lemiex’s career. They needed to win the final game of the season to make the playoffs. He thought they needed to tie. The game was tied late in the third (no overtime back then) and with the fans and his own players screaming at him to pull the goalie, he refused and played for the tie. He ended up getting fired. Not knowing the score or what the team needs in a situation like this is inexcusable for a coach.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What really needs to occur now is every Eskimo fan phoning the Esks office and conveying clearly that the Org cannot continue with Maas as headcoach. I've never stated anything to that extent before but it needs to occur. I will be phoning them and I expect the phone will be ringing off the hook. If I have to I will go there in person.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Is it Bob Stauffer that's laughing at anybody that calls for a Maas firing on CHED? Is it really that outrageous to talk about? I'm not saying he deserves to be fired, but to outright laugh at people that bring up the conversation seems a little silly to me.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It has to be. What a braindead decision. Pull the offense off the field at the 13 needing the TD to tie. Pull the greatest clutch QB I've seen in the league off the field with the game on the line. Its incomprehensible. Idiot of the century award goes to Jason Maas.

Worse, is Jason Maas as QB would be screaming off the field if a head coach had done this to him.

I just feel sorry for Reilly and the Edmonton Eskimos.

Nice though that the special teams coordinator got a chance on the sidelines to scream at Jason Maas over this call. Anybody spot that one?
Did that really happen? In my bewilderment then rage I missed it. I also turned the channel after Smith fumbled the punt so I didn’t see anything that may have been shown after the game. I’d have loved to have seen it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did that really happen? In my bewilderment then rage I missed it. I also turned the channel after Smith fumbled the punt so I didn’t see anything that may have been shown after the game. I’d have loved to have seen it.

He was probably saying “you better not blame this on me, you SOB!”

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, lost in all of this is one of the finest football games that the EE have played in Calgary for at least a decade. To come into a stadium like this and lose by 4 points to a powerhouse like the Stamps in the Western Final is quite a feat. Congratulations to the EE players for a very brave performance. They could have folded when it was 31-15 but they didn't, they hung in there and pushed the best football team in the country to the last moment. They were once again let down by an amateur head coach who proved all season that he was a high school dude but they can hold their heads high. Thanks guys.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The special teams coordinator was yelling at Jason Maas this time if that's what you were referring to. Instant Karma. Maas deserves every bit of it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm almost surprised the punt team even went on the field. Like...

I just... what?

I'm not even mad just really really confused.
I actually thought they were faking it and trying some obscure play to get the first down.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
What really needs to occur now is every Eskimo fan phoning the Esks office and conveying clearly that the Org cannot continue with Maas as headcoach. I've never stated anything to that extent before but it needs to occur. I will be phoning them and I expect the phone will be ringing off the hook. If I have to I will go there in person.

Even with the option to purchase Grey Cup tickets, I will not be renewing if Maas remains head coach. It's simply an unacceptable course of action for the organization to take.

And yeah, already turned off that pathetic CHED post-game. Dave Campbell and Morley Scott praising the job Maas has done and downplaying the call merely "questionable". Just sickening. The team's propaganda machine in full force.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well, lost in all of this is one of the finest football games that the EE have played in Calgary for at least a decade. To come into a stadium like this and lose by 4 points to a powerhouse like the Stamps in the Western Final is quite a feat. Congratulations to the EE players for a very brave performance. They could have folded when it was 31-15 but they didn't, they hung in there and pushed the best football team in the country to the last moment. They were once again let down by an amateur head coach who proved all season that he was a high school dude but they can hold their heads high. Thanks guys.

High school coaches would have won this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad