Elks: Edmonton Elks Part 2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The interesting question is how many of the players are going to report given the late season start. I suspect it will be most of them.

The achilles heal of the Eskimos has been the defensive backfield but I see reason for optimism there.

Johnathon Rose, at age 27, is obviously a big signing and is arguably the best in the league.

Mincy is solid too and is only 28 so he has some football left.

Another guy I like back there is Brian Walker. As a newcomer to the Eskies in 2019 he had 25 tackles with limited game time and he is only 25 so he could be back there for a while assuming that the club can finally get some stability in this critical area.

Jake Cersena comes back to the defensive line and he is still only 26. There are few better D-linemen (if any) in the CFL. Boateng is the best Canadian defensive lineman in the league and he will be around for a lot of years--so yes I see room for optimism on defense. I wonder if Betts becomes a starter this season?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is “Antlers up” a phrase I’m supposed to know the meaning of or is this just a catch phrase the team is hoping to get fans behind?

Same as I was asking when it was announced. Apparently theres some hunting website named this. I'd never heard of the term before or anybody say it untle the Eskimos (intended use of name) started saying it. Sounds stupid, like most catch lingo does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"Look at the marketing opportunities WOW!"

It's about that.

Its kind of incredible. Elk Island Park has existed for over a century. Mostly its a foresaken but pleasant park with few visitors considering its proximity to a major City. Its unloved. Most young people would never go there except if dragged by their parents, and those that do go are all looking for Bison or go to a beach, or a hike etc. Elk there get hardly any attention at all, and people looking past them to see if they can spot any bison.

Yeah Elk are marketable, as wild meat. Nobody seems interested in the actual animal. I mean I'm not talking personally, just from what I see from other people. People will stop in NP to take pictures of Bear, Wolverine, Grizzly, Mountain Sheep, Mountain goats, Moose. Elk/Wapiti are the last on that list too.

But marketable..As an alternative to Venison..

But I don't think having an Elk burger on the menu will be too kid friendly to the kid looking at that Elk on the field or the Elk mascot. "Chow down buddy, you're eating his bro..'

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its kind of incredible. Elk Island Park has existed for over a century. Mostly its a foresaken but pleasant park with few visitors considering its proximity to a major City. Its unloved. Most young people would never go there except if dragged by their parents, and those that do go are all looking for Bison or go to a beach, or a hike etc. Elk there get hardly any attention at all, and people looking past them to see if they can spot any bison.

Yeah Elk are marketable, as wild meat. Nobody seems interested in the actual animal. I mean I'm not talking personally, just from what I see from other people. People will stop in NP to take pictures of Bear, Wolverine, Grizzly, Mountain Sheep, Mountain goats, Moose. Elk/Wapiti are the last on that list too.

But I don't think having an Elk burger on the menu will be too kid friendly to the kid looking at that Elk on the field or the Elk mascot. "Chow down buddy, you're eating his bro..'

To me the "the marketing opportunities are more AMAZING now!" narrative is just people attempting to justify to themselves that this is an improvement, nothing else.

"Whoa people will be wearing antlers, cool!" As if that's any different from the very many people that bought a polar bear claw when it was Eskimos....

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

Glad you mentioned Elk Island. With the exception of the Serengeti , the park has the most hoofed animals per square mile in the world. Visited there a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised with the beauty of the lake and the wildlife there . One would have to wait till dusk or day to see the most variety of animal though. Surprised there isn't more visitors there. Maybe that's a good thing. I get a thrill to see anything really but yes, the majestic bison is the main attraction there.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To me the "the marketing opportunities are more AMAZING now!" narrative is just people attempting to justify to themselves that this is an improvement, nothing else.

"Whoa people will be wearing antlers, cool!" As if that's any different from the very many people that bought a polar bear claw when it was Eskimos....
Bang on, you nailed it.

Wearing a Green Watermelon gourd on your head was always the height of Eskimos Commonwealth fashion.. That hasn't been cancelled at least. ps I don't wear watermelons on my head. heh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Glad you mentioned Elk Island. With the exception of the Serengeti , the park has the most hoofed animals per square mile in the world. Visited there a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised with the beauty of the lake and the wildlife there . One would have to wait till dusk or day to see the most variety of animal though. Surprised there isn't more visitors there. Maybe that's a good thing. I get a thrill to see anything really but yes, the majestic bison is the main attraction there.

its a great park, even a campground and an after hours observatory. Its a unique park that should get more love than it does but I guess selfishly I'm fine theres always parking spots everywhere, never crowded, even on the Canada DAy stuff they were doing. Those were great events, Music, interpretive, all kinds of things going on just to get people into the park. Theres multiple lakes btw and several good hiking trails. Gotta be careful though as lots of animals around. Sometimes we've been block on the path and depending where you are its hard to detour around. particularly if off the trail is muskeg or real thick forest. Seen herds of Elk just stand in place for an hour. Right on the trail.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bang on, you nailed it.

Wearing a Green Watermelon gourd on your head was always the height of Eskimos Commonwealth fashion.. That hasn't been cancelled at least. ps I don't wear watermelons on my head. heh

It's confusing to me why fans (the customer) are all excited about the opportunities that they perceive the organization has to sell them more stuff because of the name change, but what do I know. Not sure I've ever seen so much excitement about the marketing opportunities that a company has, that is usually for the business not the consumer. I keep hearing this over and over, but its about the only thing to go to when trying to put positive spin on the outcome of the whole shit show.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's confusing to me why fans (the customer) are all excited about the opportunities that they perceive the organization has to sell them more stuff because of the name change, but what do I know. Not sure I've ever seen so much excitement about the marketing opportunities that a company has, that is usually for the business not the consumer. I keep hearing this over and over, but its about the only thing to go to when trying to put positive spin on the outcome of the whole shit show.

The excitement is specious, and as you noted for those that might believe in such change and that it really means anything other than optics. For these people theres some belief they are changing the world. Its nothing of the sort, but its what they want to believe in. Which would be fine if it didn't impact everybody else.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The excitement is specious, and as you noted for those that might believe in such change and that it really means anything other than optics. For these people theres some belief they are changing the world. Its nothing of the sort, but its what they want to believe in. Which would be fine if it didn't impact everybody else.

On CHED last night they had a Winnipeg radio host on as a guest and asked him what he thought and the first thing he says is "hey looks great and I think that the marketing opportunities with this will be outstanding, well done!"

It's like leading off talking about an ugly person's appearance by saying "hey they have a great personality!" It's just shining a turd.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Same as I was asking when it was announced. Apparently theres some hunting website named this. I'd never heard of the term before or anybody say it untle the Eskimos (intended use of name) started saying it. Sounds stupid, like most catch lingo does.
I even googled it and nothing came up, not even the hunting magazine. I was just curious because it keeps being pushed like it’s an every day phrase now. Figured I was just out of the loop being an old guy and everything.;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I even googled it and nothing came up, not even the hunting magazine. I was just curious because it keeps being pushed like it’s an every day phrase now. Figured I was just out of the loop being an old guy and everything.;)

I feel like this twice a day and on Sundays..Virtually anything that goes viral, I don't want to be around, pun intended, pandemic humor..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Will the Eskimos have Elk burgers on the menu? Lol, how do you market that? I can see them becoming a big thing in other stadiums now.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
its a great park, even a campground and an after hours observatory. Its a unique park that should get more love than it does but I guess selfishly I'm fine theres always parking spots everywhere, never crowded, even on the Canada DAy stuff they were doing. Those were great events, Music, interpretive, all kinds of things going on just to get people into the park. Theres multiple lakes btw and several good hiking trails. Gotta be careful though as lots of animals around. Sometimes we've been block on the path and depending where you are its hard to detour around. particularly if off the trail is muskeg or real thick forest. Seen herds of Elk just stand in place for an hour. Right on the trail.

EIP used to be a party place for people to go way back when.

I passed through the park north to south in the middle of the night. Thought the only wildlife I'd see was a deer scooting across the road. Then I came across not one but 3 herds of buffalo, with their young. Slowed down in order to allow those on the road to move aside and not to spook any of the animals, Amazing to hear those beasts grunting.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
https://www.antlerupoutdoors.com/

Posted it in the previous thread.
I missed this last week, now I’m more confused than before. I’ll preface my post by saying I’m not a hunter but I’ve got no issues with those that are.

I find it amusing that a team that was forced to change its name under the politically correct climate we’re in would choose a slogan that’s most associated with killing animals (including the one they just chose as the new name). How asinine is that? Not sure how you market that but more importantly, how long until that group circles back for another run at the team?

I don’t care about the name. I just don’t get how the slogan works for the team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
On CHED last night they had a Winnipeg radio host on as a guest and asked him what he thought and the first thing he says is "hey looks great and I think that the marketing opportunities with this will be outstanding, well done!"

It's like leading off talking about an ugly person's appearance by saying "hey they have a great personality!" It's just shining a turd.
Don't forget "Great dancer!"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I missed this last week, now I’m more confused than before. I’ll preface my post by saying I’m not a hunter but I’ve got no issues with those that are.

I find it amusing that a team that was forced to change its name under the politically correct climate we’re in would choose a slogan that’s most associated with killing animals (including the one they just chose as the new name). How asinine is that? Not sure how you market that but more importantly, how long until that group circles back for another run at the team?

I don’t care about the name. I just don’t get how the slogan works for the team.

heh, this thought occurred to me as well. But todays selective brand of world changers strangely like 3lbs of meat sitting on the plate and wax on about piling meat in their gullet. Its not yesterdays veggie save the planet types, lets just say.

btw I was joking about the Elk Burger, but who knows, wild meat is pretty damned good. ;)

But yeah, theres always going to be a target. I mean JK Rowling was a hero growing up to many of these people. Until she started saying real word and not hobbit type things, or whatever dreck she writes about. I bring that up not to be OT. Its symbolic of what you say, and that everthing and everybody will be a target at some point. In the words of Handy Warhole everybody gets their 15mins of being set on fire..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No doubt, but I'm not surprised at the initial splurge. Hope it keeps up.
Free money cheques are still raining until September. After that its monopoly money or some type of bitcoin. Which can buy SJ Season tickets anyway, not that they are worth anything..;)

heh. But right now its a trapped market of people that have been holed up and their spending actually curtailed during pandemic, and looking for ways to spend it. I mean there was always going to be some uptick in sales, there usually is with gimmicks. But it won't nearly offset the money spent changing names which comes at an estimated 1m tag and counting.

In anycase so far we have the word of the marketing head. Which is kind of like asking Len Rhodes what kind of manager he thinks he was..

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

It's out in our neck of the woods, so a popular spot for our family. Used to be a hidden gem, but unfortunately getting busy with people hoping to get their 'bison moment' photo to post on their social media sites. I avoid weekends there now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad