Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Yakupov for Zach Pochiro + Cndl 2017 3rd (becomes 2018 2nd if Yak hits 15G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lets look at some of the "big picture" trades he has made with other GM's who are his peers and the final result:

Oilers Traded:
Taylor Hall (1st overall)
Nail Yakupov (1st overall)
Matthew Barzal (16th overall)
Anthony Beauvillier (33rd overall)

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson (4th overall)
Griffin Reinhart (4th overall)
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick (could be a 2nd if Yakupov scores a meager 15 goals)

Chiarelli is getting fleeced by his NHL peers at this point; GM's are praying he calls to make deals with them.

Fixed for actual accuracy. Larsson and Reinhart are high picks themselves, you can't have it both ways.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
and thats why he'll never be good in the NHL...the guy can't process the game quickly enough

Oilers needed to cut their losses and he's a bust...plain and simple

He's 22. There's no question that something has to change. But I'm not convinced he won't turn it around.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Inexcusable by Chiarelli.

I do think the Larsson trade will pay itself off. As will the Maroon trade.

But Lucic longterm, Yakupov for nothing when we could have just waited it out (not like the RW is stacked with talent anyways), and essentially two firsts for Reinhart. Very poor asset management.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
When we traded Paajarvi, we got Perron.

It's not even close to the same scenario.

We got nothing.

This is the Cogliano trade again.

they got a pick for a draft bust, nothing more

the guy didnt want to be here anymore and its wasn't working out and I have my doubts Yak is willing to turn himself into a grinder playing for Hitch

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Inexcusable by Chiarelli.

I do think the Larsson trade will pay itself off. As will the Maroon trade.

But Lucic longterm, Yakupov for nothing when we could have just waited it out (not like the RW is stacked with talent anyways), and essentially two firsts for Reinhart. Very poor asset management.

Eberle, Versteeg, Drai are all better than Yak...no point in keeping him here and creating a rift in the dressing room when the guy clearly wanted out last season

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
He's a solid 2nd pairing blueliner at this point on a decent NHL club; you are listening way too much 630CHED...Oilers fans have lost all objectivity and are way over sensitive.

The Oilers are criticized for a reason and not out of malice.

I'll take Devils fans opinion over a Flyer fan

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
they got a pick for a draft bust, nothing more

the guy didnt want to be here anymore and its wasn't working out and I have my doubts Yak is willing to turn himself into a grinder playing for Hitch

Maybe Hitch puts him in a role where he succeeds.

He's played well with Perron before and St Louis isn't exactly lacking in offensive talent.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
This is the Cogliano trade again.

LOL! Oh no, not the bottom six forward who was traded to a conference rival and promptly became... a bottom six forward:

EDM- 2009-10: 12th TOI
EDM- 2010-11: 8th TOI
------------------
ANH- 2011-12: 7th TOI
ANH- 2012-13: 8th TOI
ANH- 2013-14: 4th TOI
ANH- 2014-15: 6th TOI
ANH- 2015-16: 8th TOI

Cogliano still isn't a guaranteed upgrade on any winger in our top 9. I don't know why you continue to carry that grudge around, but like Yak, it's time to let it gooooooooo.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why do his highlights matter? Doesn't Marek Malik have one of the nicest shootout goals of all-time? What his skill level?

His ability to draw and evade defenders while he has the puck is actually one of his strengths. He should draw more penalties than he does, but he doesn't get the calls. He skates well, he shoots well, he passes well, he can hit and he's got intensity. It's a classic example of many tools, no toolbox at this point.

And the 'tap-in' theory is right if you consider one-timers 'tap-ins'.

He skates well ... but rarely if ever blows past any NHL D. I think I can count on one hand how many times we saw that in 4 years. How many times did you see Nail try to go at an average no.3/4 d-man and get pushed wide into the corner, nullifying a play? Time and time and time again. He had no "puck moves" whatsoever, he'd get brushed aside by average NHL D like it was nothing.

He shoots well .... to beat OHL goalies. NHL goalies don't give a **** about how hard a shot is, they can stop it, and he doesn't have the higher end shot placement a real NHL sniper has. He will try to pick a corner but shoot 5 feet wide in a real NHL game otherwise he had a lot of muffins plowed into the goalie's crest. Horrible on breakaways.

He passes well .... uh ... not really. He passes hard I guess, but his timing is so spastic that rarely if ever did he set up any one for a clear goal.

He can hit ... again in the OHL, sure. In the NHL against grown men, no one is intimidated by his 5'10 frame.

He doesn't have that great of "tools". I never once really was that wowwed by his skill, and that can't be ALL on the Oilers.

Even during that WJC during the lock out year where RNH played for Canada, I really was sitting around waiting to be wowwed by Yakupov and honestly he was like maybe the 3rd or 4th most impressive Russian player on that team.

If he was a basketball player, he'd be a guy who could dunk really hard, but had no 1-on-1 moves, so-so dribbling, poor passing, and just generally poor I.Q. on the court.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
This trade just shows how little people know players actual worth on this site. Too many people thought Nail was still worth something. Hopefully he does well in St. Louis.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maybe Hitch puts him in a role where he succeeds.

He's played well with Perron before and St Louis isn't exactly lacking in offensive talent.

and what role would that be? he's lost in the defensive zone so he's not a bottom 6 player and doesn't score enough goals to be a top 6 player

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It wouldn't be the first time that a player turned his career around with a change of scenery.
I really hope that Yak bounces back. I love his energy and attitude. He clearly loves the game and has some offensive skill but it looks like his confidence is just shot. Maybe a fresh start in a more structured environment will be just what he needs.

Sep 26, 2016
before Hall trade- "you can't win with Hall, trade him for whatever help you can get on defense."
after trade- "Edmonton got robbed, Hall is a top 5 winger in the game, should of gotten Subban instead."

before Yakapov trade- "Yak might pass through waivers, don't expect anything more then a late round pick."
After trade- "Yak was a 1OA pick and you traded him for a conditional third and a prospect. Wow Chia is trash, Edmonton will never get out of the basement."

I don't even like the Oilers, but it's hilarious that the same people who laugh at them for not making any moves to make the team better also trash them for making moves and trying to make the team better. They are just going to have to prove it by making the playoffs, or at least drafting outside the top 10, otherwise the fans will never get away from this "trash Edmonton for whatever they do, no matter what."

giphy.gif

Well done sir. This is what we've been saying.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
and what role would that be? he's lost in the defensive zone so he's not a bottom 6 player and doesn't score enough goals to be a top 6 player

I'm not going to go in circles again. Check the five Yakupov threads on our board if you want to revisit the discussion.

Gagner - Yakupov.....success

Roy - Yakupov......success

McDavid - Yakupov.....success

Letestu - Yakupov......failure

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
in the end this is about a new change. hall was great I loved him but he didn't play defense and the oilers desperately needed it. almost all the old oiler boys crap that was pulled is gone now. its a new era. chia has built a solid team now

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Ryan Rishaug was on TSN last night and said he interviewed Yak a couple weeks ago and asked him what he feels he needs to do differently this season to find some success. His answer was that he just has to keep doing the same things he was doing previous seasons. I thought that was an interesting response. Ryan said that's a big reason why his game hasn't developed. He works really hard on his game, but he only works hard on the things he likes to do.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
LOL! Oh no, not the bottom six forward who was traded to a conference rival and promptly became... a bottom six forward:

EDM- 2009-10: 12th TOI
EDM- 2010-11: 8th TOI
------------------
ANH- 2011-12: 7th TOI
ANH- 2012-13: 8th TOI
ANH- 2013-14: 4th TOI
ANH- 2014-15: 6th TOI
ANH- 2015-16: 8th TOI

Cogliano still isn't a guaranteed upgrade on any winger in our top 9. I don't know why you continue to carry that grudge around, but like Yak, it's time to let it gooooooooo.

It isn't a grudge, it's a fact. It's a wasted asset.

We had Cogliano and sheltered him. He was convinced he was an offensive player and he goes to Anaheim and turns into a solid defensive winger. We could've tried that approach but instead it was hands clean.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Lets look at some of the "big picture" trades he has made with other GM's who are his peers and the final result:

Oilers Traded:
Taylor Hall (1st overall)
Nail Yakupov (1st overall)
Matthew Barzal (16th overall)
Anthony Beauvillier (33rd overall)

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

As pointed out, you didn't note the draft position on the players he received. If you are going to leave out that part to make your argument look better, its hard to take your opinion seriously.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don't know why everyone is *****ing about Edmonton's GM here, clearly this summer was about organizational change (Trading Hall for a competent D-man, acquiring Lucic, throwing Yakupov away). I look at the moves Edmonton has made over the past three months and I see a team that actually knows what it needs to do to make a better team, for once. Yes, you can call it "bad asset management", but things simply weren't working out for those players. Hell, Toronto trading Kessel was also bad asset management, but it was a poor situation and both the player and the organization needed a change. I view this as Edmonton righting the ship. Now, I'm not saying they will make the playoffs or anything, but I think if they make a few shrewd moves to improve their defense within the next year or two they should actually, finally, turn it around.

From a neutral observer, I think Edmonton is FINALLY putting a team together rather than accruing the best draft picks it can get. I've said for a while that Edmonton has to be willing to lose a trade to get a better fit for their team. Having an abundance of young talent afford that luxury. I think this year's team is going to be in the hunt for a wild card, and it will be a fun season to be a fan of the Oilers.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
It isn't a grudge, it's a fact. It's a wasted asset.

I'm not sure how a vanilla third liner is a wasted asset. If that's the worst case scenario with Yak, then it was worth doing simply because he no longer had a spot here. He also did not seem receptive to...

We had Cogliano and sheltered him. He was convinced he was an offensive player and he goes to Anaheim and turns into a solid defensive winger. We could've tried that approach but instead it was hands clean.

There's nothing to say Cogliano was even interested in that when he was here. In fact, as you note, much of the talk at the time was very similar to the snippets we've heard from Yakupov over the last couple of years; he was a hard worker and diligent in practice, but had a view of himself and his game and wasn't open to change. Only after moving to another club did he finally see the light.

And, I stress again, even with that wake-up call, I can't say we've missed what Cogliano would have brought; 30-point third liners are a dime a dozen in this league, as evidenced by the Versteeg PTO. There are some players who don't even receive one of those. This is a case of you liking the player more than anyone in professional hockey does. The facts simply don't support an obsession with either player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad