Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Mike Brown Traded For SJ 4th Round Pick '14

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Arbitrarily?

A poster falsely tries to paint the fourth line as a "problem". The whole entire line is above the mendoza line. How are they the problem?

Meanwhile a favourite poster boy is flirting with double digits in negative goal differential and you are calling it a "flawed" statistic?

Do they not all play in front of the same putrid goaltending?

They do indeed play in front of the same goal tender.
One plays for 17-22 mins a night. The is lucky to play 5, and only in the third period if the Oilers happen to be winning.
One of these guys plays against the other teams top forwards and the other gets a look at the other teams face puncher - if they even have one.
You're a smart guy, not sure why you can't put together how one could possibly be -9 and the other a non factor?

The fourth line is a problem, a huge problem. Acton is the only one who can play any semblance of hockey and until Jones showed up from recall it was an adventure in our own end every time they came over the boards. I don't need the 4th line to be playing highlight reel hockey, but the ability to actually play hockey would be nice.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
One plays for 17-22 mins a night. The is lucky to play 5, and only in the third period if the Oilers happen to be winning.
One of these guys plays against the other teams top forwards and the other gets a look at the other teams face puncher - if they even have one.
You're a smart guy, not sure why you can't put together how one could possibly be -9 and the other a non factor?

The fourth line is a problem, a huge problem. Acton is the only one who can play any semblance of hockey and until Jones showed up from recall it was an adventure in our own end every time they came over the boards. I don't need the 4th line to be playing highlight reel hockey, but the ability to actually play hockey would be nice.

you'd think if they were as bad as you say, they'd be bleeding goals left and right, no matter their ice time.

Conkanen*

I think we should be sasking why they are only playing 5 min a night. ;)

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Arbitrarily?

A poster falsely tries to paint the fourth line as a "problem". The whole entire line is above the mendoza line. How are they the problem?

Meanwhile a favourite poster boy is flirting with double digits in negative goal differential and you are calling it a "flawed" statistic?

They play around five minutes a night, usually against similarly inept players. Hemsky plays 13 minutes a night at ES against actual NHLers.

Oh hey Hall and RNH are -6 as well, I guess they are inferior to Gazdic/Brown/Acton trifecta of awesome too.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
you'd think if they were as bad as you say, they'd be bleeding goals left and right, no matter their ice time.

Its like somebody already pointed out, the only reason they haven't been bleeding goals against is because their on ice SV% is higher. They've been giving up shots against and they might generate one positive shift in the other teams end a game, if they're lucky. There's a reason they only play 5 minutes a night.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

They've been outshot by a 2:1 margin and have spent the bulk of their limited TOI in their own end chasing the puck It's pretty much blind luck that they haven't been hammered harder on the scoresheet than they have been.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
They've been outshot by a 2:1 margin and have spent the bulk of their limited TOI in their own end chasing the puck It's pretty much blind luck that they haven't been hammered harder on the scoresheet than they have been.

i think i agree with you but i wont believe it until i see their corsi stats

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
i think i agree with you but i wont believe it until i see their corsi stats

9.8.png

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The fourth line are all plus players to a man. Ales Hemsky on the other hand is well on his way to another green jacket with a -9.

+/- is probably the last stat that i would look at when comparing a 4th liner who plays very limited minutes against weak competition to a top liner playing big minutes against tough competition.

The 4th line has been a huge liability, constantly hemmed in their zone and providing absolute zero in regards to an offensive attack or even a consistent forecheck outside of the Winnipeg game. Something had to be done to rectify that mess and now MacT has a bit more flexibility to add a useful player.
The next move should be to demote Acton and bring in a competent 4th line center, perhaps promote Lander who by many accounts has been great in OKC.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Arbitrarily?

When Mike Brown is on the ice a goal has not been scored against. Despite being on the ice for more shots per minute played than anyone else on the team.

59.1 percent of the time he starts his shift in the offensive zone, and only finishes 32% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Horrible.

He plays low level competition. Gives up a ton of shots. It's a damn miracle our goaltending has provided 100% save percentage while he's on the ice.

Two games ago when Nuge was -9, our save % when he was on the ice was 77% to give you a comparrison.

The amount of shots given up by Brown and company on the 4th line at an NHL average save percentage would have them well in the negatives.

You don't need any of these fancy stats, I'd think you'd be able to tell by watching how horrible the 4th line has been. I think you've used this whole Mike Brown sucks arguement as a clever way to crap on Hemsky personally.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
Re: 4th line woes.

The fancy advanced stats say they have been awful.

Actually watching games: heavily outplayed in every game and essentially every shift.

Not sure why some people are using this move as a talking point for their ulterior agendas. Basically Mike Brown is replaceable by just about any AHL/waiver wire pickup, that's all.

Oct 15, 2008
When Mike Brown is on the ice a goal has not been scored against. Despite being on the ice for more shots per minute played than anyone else on the team.

59.1 percent of the time he starts his shift in the offensive zone, and only finishes 32% of his shifts in the offensive zone. Horrible.

He plays low level competition. Gives up a ton of shots. It's a damn miracle our goaltending has provided 100% save percentage while he's on the ice.

Two games ago when Nuge was -9, our save % when he was on the ice was 77% to give you a comparrison.

The amount of shots given up by Brown and company on the 4th line at an NHL average save percentage would have them well in the negatives.

You don't need any of these fancy stats, I'd think you'd be able to tell by watching how horrible the 4th line has been. I think you've used this whole Mike Brown sucks arguement as a clever way to crap on Hemsky personally.

So Mike Brown hasnt been on the ice for even one GA yet he is a "huge" problem.

Sorry, not making that connection.

Maybe the ONSV% is poor for Hemsky et all because they give up better quality chances? Its either that or Doobie decides he is going to play better for some teammates and worse than others.

Hilarious that those who poo poo the plus minus stat whip out Corsi to prove their point.

irony.jpg

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
So Mike Brown hasnt been on the ice for even one GA yet he is a "huge" problem.

Sorry, not making that connection.

Maybe the ONSV% is poor for Hemsky et all because they give up better quality chances? Its either that or Doobie decides he is going to play better for some teammates and worse than others.

Hilarious that those who poo poo the plus minus stat whip out Corsi to prove their point.

Because he plays more against real NHLers. Good lord. This isn't difficult.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is as usual no big deal.....until the next game the Oilers get bullied, face rolled and or injured by a cheap shot. One has to accept the fact that often you have to sacrifice some skill for toughness and a guy willing to stick up for team mates. It also really helps to have more than one guy that can do it.

It may be a game, a week or a month but the oilers will get bslapped around sooner or later and the lack of toughness will rear it's head once again.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
This is as usual no big deal.....until the next game the Oilers get bullied, face rolled and or injured by a cheap shot. One has to accept the fact that often you have to sacrifice some skill for toughness and a guy willing to stick up for team mates. It also really helps to have more than one guy that can do it.

It may be a game, a week or a month but the oilers will get bslapped around sooner or later and the lack of toughness will rear it's head once again.

The persistence of faith in the face of all evidence is a funny old thing.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013

The problem is that Brown isn't really an intimidating player either. He's a decent middleweight fighter who hits a fair bit, but he doesn't lay people out and he's not going to beat the crap out of a heavyweight taking liberties. I think team toughness is more important than carrying a player who will throw a decent hit on a random 4th liner, then lose in a fight to their designated goon.

I think Gazdic outfought him for the spot as enforcer if we're going to carry one. I liked Brown's hustle, but he hasn't even been winning fights for a while now, and "hustle with no substance" is a problem the Oilers need to start solving yesterday.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

A damning stat especially considering he's facing other teams disposable 4th lines and still getting owned in hockey.

I like the zone starts/finishes stat because its tangible, measurable and can mean something on its own. That it demonstrates whether a lines body of work results in advancing, or being pushed back on ice. It basically describes "tilts ice"

Unlike Corsi, which is a by proxy formulation for puck control (and isn't actually measuring puck control) zone starts is not a construct. Its a real observable, and measurable stat, and its clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad