Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Edmonton trades Kyle Bigos to San Jose for Lee Moffie

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
Edmonton #Oilers have acquired defenceman Lee Moffie from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for defenceman Kyle Bigos.

Guess they couldn't get Bigos signed? Or maybe cause of the D depth now? Any info on Moffie?

2dHNVgS.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
Bigos traded

@EdmontonOilers: Edmonton #Oilers have acquired defenceman Lee Moffie from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for defenceman Kyle Bigos.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Moffie put up big numbers last season but they dropped a ton this year for Michigan. I would suspect Michigan's addition of Trouba changed Moffie's role with the team.

Likely a nothing player but I remember acquiring Gilbert as a "nothing" player in return for Salo and he ended up turning out pretty well.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers said they had no intention to sign Bigos. This trade is really good asset management. (This was Said by Lowetide)

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Oilers said they had no intention to sign Bigos. This trade is really good asset management. (This was Said by Lowetide)

At least we got something for nothing. I had high hopes for Bigos but its not that big of a loss with the tons of D prospects we have coming up.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Both need to be signed by Aug. 15 or they become free agents.

nye

Mar 25, 2007
Siberia
Both need to be signed by Aug. 15 or they become free agents.

According to hockeydb Moffie was drafted in 2010, Bigos in '09. Wouldn't the Oil have another year to decide on Moffie?

Also, I gather from your statement that the college loophole has not been closed.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
According to hockeydb Moffie was drafted in 2010, Bigos in '09. Wouldn't the Oil have another year to decide on Moffie?

Also, I gather from your statement that the college loophole has not been closed.

No, this isn't the loophole. Any drafted college player can play their four years and become a free agent.

I really like this trade just because it shows the Oilers and the Sharks are paying attention. Lost asset for lost asset and see if you can turn them into tangible assets again.

It wouldn't even surprise me if contracts were agreed to before the trade.

nye

Mar 25, 2007
Siberia
No, this isn't the loophole. Any drafted college player can play their four years and become a free agent.

I really like this trade just because it shows the Oilers and the Sharks are paying attention. Lost asset for lost asset and see if you can turn them into tangible assets again.

It wouldn't even surprise me if contracts were agreed to before the trade.

That is the loophole, isn't it? Not signing a contract, continuing to develop, and getting free agency out of it?

Otherwise, yes I agree it could be good asset management.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That is the loophole, isn't it? Not signing a contract, continuing to develop, and getting free agency out of it?

Otherwise, yes I agree it could be good asset management.

The loophole was becoming a free agent after 3 years.

This is the equivalent of not signing a junior player after two years and letting him go back into the draft.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Wanted Bigos, and liked his size. Should have signed him, and put him through the ECHL this season.

Not a fan.

Especially with no knowledge of Moffie, and his apparent point drop.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Wanted Bigos, and liked his size. Should have signed him, and put him through the ECHL this season.

Not a fan.

Especially with no knowledge of Moffie, and his apparent point drop.

MacTavish wants defensemen who can skate and move the puck, Bigos isn't that.

nye

Mar 25, 2007
Siberia
The loophole was becoming a free agent after 3 years.

This is the equivalent of not signing a junior player after two years and letting him go back into the draft.

I was never really clear on the details, 3 years or 4 years, but to me a junior player going back into the draft is not the same as a college player becoming a free agent.

There's a big difference in the situations of Stoll and J Schultz (or Bigos and Moffie).

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I was never really clear on the details, 3 years or 4 years, but to me a junior player going back into the draft is not the same as a college player becoming a free agent.

There's a big difference in the situations of Stoll and J Schultz (or Bigos and Moffie).

Well junior players can be free agents too if they're old enough.

I know it's confusing, but at the root it's a very different situation than the Schultz/Wheeler one and much closer to the Stoll one, even if they're free agents rather than being redrafted.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
MacT wants a bunch of MacT's on the Oilers...not a bad idea as long as it isn't everyone! we will need some kind of variety of player to win!

That's an odd statement considering our top six has more skill than Mact could have ever dreamed of having. And honestly if our bottom 6 was filled with a bunch of Mact's as you say he wants, then the oilers would definitely be a playoff team. Mact was an excellent bottom 6 player, and we'd be lucky to have 6 players like him on the oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad