Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Jussi Jokinen (1 year, $1.1M)

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
We will. Last summer this site told Leaf fans we were over rating our offense. Leaf fans have been told our defense is garbage, yet most disagree and say it's closer to middle of the pack, but we acknowledge it could be improved.

Forgive us for not panicking because HF thinks the Leafs will suck. They could win 3 back to back to back cups and there would be people on here saying the Leafs will regress and draft in the bottom 5.

I hope you realize hockey fans, especially those on HF could care less about the Leafs. We really don't care about Toronto and how amazing of a city it is or the Leafs and how good they will be.
That defense is not cup worthy plain and simple. You acknowledge it could use improvement so I won't dwell to much on that point.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Or, players like Maroon regress to their norm. McDavid isn't going to add another 50 points on his own!!

That's the beauty of hockey my friend. Maroon and Letestu had great seasons and one would suspect they are due to regress. Ok fine.
RNH, Jokinen, Strome, Pulju all had bad seasons below their norms. By your logic they're all due for a rebound season which would more than make up for Maroons supposed decrease.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
That's the beauty of hockey my friend. Maroon and Letestu had great seasons and one would they are due to regress. Ok fine.
RNH, Jokinen, Strome, Pulju all had bad seasons below their norms. By your logic they're all due for a rebound season which would more than make up for Maroons supposed decrease.

after we see what Leon finally gets this summer/fall, Maroon and Letestu likely aren't going to be re-signed because they'll want too much.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
after we see what Leon finally gets this summer/fall, Maroon and Letestu likely aren't going to be re-signed because they'll want too much.

I was referring to this upcoming season. 18-19 is a problem for the future Oilers not us current Oilers.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

I don't see Letestu asking more much. He's getting up there in age and he wants to be in Edmonton. Maroon is a wildcard. He definitely loves playing with Connor/Leon but if he wants north of 4.5M they gotta walk away

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You gotta pay for quality. Marleau is an elite skater still and jokinen has a bum knee. Contracts are irrelevant since our best players are still on entry contracts.

Small detail:

One of them won't be on an ELC next year, and two in two years.

Marleau's contract length ? Yadda, yadda, yadda...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The more I think the more I like it.
Read lot of positive comments from him regarding mentoring Pulju and Barkov complimenting Jokinen for all he did for him.

Add that it's a 1M cap hit for 1 year, takes pride in being a good penalty killer/ good at faceoffs, safe vet who coach will throw out to kill final minutes and could score even 50+ points.
+Has been able to train already 2 months without pain.

If he helps Pulju to reach his elite W ceiling this is a massive win/signing for Edmonton.

The cap hit is great, I like the mentoring aspect he can bring too.

I didn't realize him and Barkov were so close. I think him being from the same area as Pulju will be good, Pulju was in for a big culture shock when he first came over. We just need to be patient, I still see him as McDavids future RWer in the coming years.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Very smart move by the Oilers. Jussi is your ultimate all-around player with veteran leadership qualities. A very smart player whose game is all about making the puck do the work so his foot speed is not that much of an issue.

I also think he's probably worth that 1.1 mil for mentoring Pulju only. Excellent signing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A very low risk signing, but possibly a good impact acquisition. Risk < Reward. Hard to be critical of this move.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Very smart move by the Oilers. Jussi is your ultimate all-around player with veteran leadership qualities. A very smart player whose game is all about making the puck do the work so his foot speed is not that much of an issue.

I also think he's probably worth that 1.1 mil for mentoring Pulju only. Excellent signing.

Agree with this point... Chia has been slowly doing a good job replacing leadership on this squad.

Maroon's toughness and Lucic's intensity were welcome additions.

We were due for a highly intelligent vet who shows how making the safe play doesn't always end up "boring" and usually leads to victories. Even better that he'll be teaching that to a very inexperienced, but known "team" guy with elite physical skills in Pulju. It's a perfect match. You don't need to possess high hockey IQ yourself if you sit beside JJ between shifts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agree with this point... Chia has been slowly doing a good job replacing leadership on this squad.

Maroon's toughness and Lucic's intensity were welcome additions.

We were due for a highly intelligent vet who shows how making the safe play doesn't always end up "boring" and usually leads to victories. Even better that he'll be teaching that to a very inexperienced, but known "team" guy with elite physical skills in Pulju. It's a perfect match. You don't need to possess high hockey IQ yourself if you sit beside JJ between shifts.

One thing I really like in how Chiarelli is constructing this team is the versatility of players he has added. Strome, Letestu and now Jokinen can all play Center as well as wing. This gives the Oilers a major depth advantage and protection against injuries. I think it is ingenious to construct a team where you can have so many fwds step in at Center when needed. It's along the model Team Canada has built their Olympic teams.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
One thing I really like in how Chiarelli is constructing this team is the versatility of players he has added. Strome, Letestu and now Jokinen can all play Center as well as wing. This gives the Oilers a major depth advantage and protection against injuries. I think it is ingenious to construct a team where you can have so many fwds step in at Center when needed. It's along the model Team Canada has built their Olympic teams.

I always liked San Jose's ability to do this as well.

I think this is second only to the new leadership vets in Jokinen and Lucic.

If you told me three years ago the team would have the best young talent in the world, then Larsson and a stud starter I wouldn't have bought it.

But then Lucic and Jokinen? Yeah right.
Amazing turnaround. If only there was a good trade for Pouliot.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I always liked San Jose's ability to do this as well.

I think this is second only to the new leadership vets in Jokinen and Lucic.

If you told me three years ago the team would have the best young talent in the world, then Larsson and a stud starter I wouldn't have bought it.

But then Lucic and Jokinen? Yeah right.
Amazing turnaround. If only there was a good trade for Pouliot.

Take this for what it is worth. I don't cheer for one team in the NHL. I like players, and when I see a team built like the Oilers are building theirs. I have to say, I really believe this. Oilers are close to a Cup. They were contenders last year. One win from the final 4. With the moves you guys have made. I see an even better team this year if none of your core guys get hurt. This is where Jokinen's versatility helps out. It's terrific insurance for unforeseen injuries and as a mentor for Puljujarvi. This is going to be a tough team to beat.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
how much faster of a skater is McDavid compared to pool party ?

How much faste is Mcdavid compared to _____ ?

Any name in the space the answer is light years. I have seen some fast players in my time but this guy is on a completely different level then anybody. I have heard guys including Babcock say that the only guy who was this much faster then the league was Bobby Orr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad