Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Are we really pining for that warm-body Strome? Dude was useless.

Spooner doesn't seem much better but right now the team has zero chemistry outside 1st and maybe 4th lines.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
The concern is the GA, to be clear, as I have made clear. Spooner has played only around 30minutes EV here and he's already 5GA and -5. That's astounding. Really it would be almost impossible to be worse than that. Those are pk type GA numbers. As if Spooner has spent all his EV minutes shorthanded, which considering his 200ft play isn't all that surprising.

Yet somehow we have people talking up the value in what he's bringing.

Looking at those GA, only one was directly his fault... Keep in mind, he's had 3 coaches in 4 games... and played the same-day as a cross-continental flight. I think you're being overly-dismissive without giving him a proper chance.

Strome didn't hurt the team... but he did nothing to help us win either. He was dead-weight... at the least the upside with Spooner is higher.

You're needlessly projecting your hate for Chia onto Spooner. This trade was fair and both players needed a change of scenery.

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looking at those GA, only one was directly his fault... Keep in mind, he's had 3 coaches in 4 games... and played the same-day as a cross-continental flight. I think you're being overly-dismissive without giving him a proper chance.

Strome didn't hurt the team... but he did nothing to help us win either. He was dead-weight... at the least the upside with Spooner is higher.

You're needlessly projecting your hate for Chia onto Spooner. This trade was fair and both players needed a change of scenery.

Well, don't take my word for it, look at the Rangers thread. You won't find one remaining Spooner fan there. On this board several people are noting that Strome at least represents a saw off game whereas with Spooner its all outscored downhill. Longterm Spooner fans really don't exist. Coaches that like Spooner longterm don't exist. This player is already established as no use. He's 26. If he's 22 I'm not saying the same stuff. But of course I am now. This is not a late bloomer. This is a player that bloomed early and went nowhere from there. Shrinking violets are the worst kind. With players like this you could pretty much see the dream dying. Its etched on his face any time I see him.

tbh if Spooner was even a waiver wire pickup I would be thinking next. This is a player that was going to be on waivers in a month in NY. People were expecting it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Of course Drai/Nuge have scored more. They're better players and get to play with McDavid.

The problem is that Eberle was cast away for a more inferior player... And then that player was again traded for an even more inferior player. This is laughably bad asset management and if we even had 2 top six wingers (as opposed to zero) we could spread out the scoring a bit more instead of hoping that McDavid/Draisatl dominate and the rest of the lineup doesn't drown in its own ineptitude.
:laugh:

Well I know your underlying position, but you were saying that Eberle were ahead of every winger on the team, which he is not. Eberle 18/19 is worse (so far) than the one playing winger out of Drai/Nuge, Chiason and Caggiula. He's a guy who should be scoring goals but he isn't keeping up with Chiason and Caggiula...

I am not about to start re-hashing for the nth time all the Chia trades, I suppose that is more fit for the fire Chia thread.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

You're needlessly projecting your hate for Chia onto Spooner.
This trade was fair and both players needed a change of scenery.
I think you're wrong there, he just really really does not like Spooner :)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
:laugh:

Well I know your underlying position, but you were saying that Eberle were ahead of every winger on the team, which he is not. Eberle 18/19 is worse (so far) than the one playing winger out of Drai/Nuge, Chiason and Caggiula. He's a guy who should be scoring goals but he isn't keeping up with Chiason and Caggiula...

I am not about to start re-hashing for the nth time all the Chia trades, I suppose that is more fit for the fire Chia thread.
Well we already know that Chiasson is not going to shoot 40% for the remainder of the year. Give that sh% to anyone and you'll see their numbers bloat.

Eberle put up more points last year than anyone on our team not named McDavid or Draisatl. Could've used a few more goals last year, and this year too.

The fact that we continually have to shoehorn centers onto the wing just speaks volumes to the failure of this management. Remember when we had to use Hall as a center because had none? Oh how far we've come.

space321

May 11, 2011

No goals against when Puljujarvi was on the ice was his fault either yet he got crucified for being a defensive liability. Just pointing out that double standard.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
i swear, a few of you here are actually just cheering against any oilers success just so you can keep pushing your "hate chia" narrative. literally noone is saying chia has done a good job but f***, some of you have such clouded and irrational perspective on what's happening because of the hate.

it's gotten to the point some of you are obsessively whining about trades involving NOTHING players. NOTHING. honestly guys like drivesaitl etc are secretly hoping Spooner fails and hoping he allows terrible GA that costs us games just so they can pat themselves on the back. NOONE is saying Spoons is going to be for sure any good but it's a trade involving NOTHING players and Spoons has better potential. If he doesn't pan out, so what.

must suck for guys like that cheering against the oil. cringing and probably hoping guys like Spooner misses the net on glorious chances. i feel sorry for those fans.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
i swear, a few of you here are actually just cheering against any oilers success just so you can keep pushing your "hate chia" narrative. literally noone is saying chia has done a good job but f***, some of you have such clouded and irrational perspective on what's happening because of the hate.

it's gotten to the point some of you are obsessively whining about trades involving NOTHING players. NOTHING. honestly guys like drivesaitl etc are secretly hoping Spooner fails and hoping he allows terrible GA that costs us games just so they can pat themselves on the back. NOONE is saying Spoons is going to be for sure any good but it's a trade involving NOTHING players and Spoons has better potential. If he doesn't pan out, so what.

must suck for guys like that cheering against the oil. cringing and probably hoping guys like Spooner misses the net on glorious chances. i feel sorry for those fans.

This post is funny given your ongoing HATE of a player who's surname rhymes with Ball.

Here's the funniest thing. I see something inherently wrong with sticking nothing players on the topsix of an NHl club. You on the other hand spent several years hating the league MVP. Maybe theres a difference, and maybe your license to talk about others player related "hate" is invalidated.

Finally, theres a difference between knowing a player is inherently flawed (Spooner) and alleging people hope the player and team fails. I know the player will fail, I want the team to succeed.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This post is funny given your ongoing HATE of a player who's surname rhymes with Ball.

Here's the funniest thing. I see something inherently wrong with sticking nothing players on the topsix of an NHl club. You on the other hand spent several years hating the league MVP. Maybe theres a difference, and maybe your license to talk about others player related "hate" is invalidated.

ya and he's not an oiler anymore. i didn't like him as an oiler but i cheered for his success and the team's success when he was here. please, do you really believe he was "league" MVP? it's a stupid award voted on by ill-informed biased media people. i guarantee you the coaches and players around the league think he's not even close to an MVP.

i only bring him up because you guys continually whine and pine all over that guy nonstop. never said he was bad, just that he's nowhere near as good as you think he is and has issues.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
ya and he's not an oiler anymore. i didn't like him as an oiler but i cheered for his success and the team's success when he was here. please, do you really believe he was "league" MVP? it's a stupid award voted on by ill-informed biased media people. i guarantee you the coaches and players around the league think he's not even close to an MVP.

i only bring him up because you guys continually whine and pine all over that guy nonstop. never said he was bad, just that he's nowhere near as good as you think he is and has issues.
I mean, the NHLPA nominated him as a finalist for the Ted Lindsay so...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Okay, who the f*** is hoping he fails? That's absolute garbage. This is projection, plain and simple. If you want to challenge my opinion that's fine, I don't really care.

My biggest complaint about Chiarelli is the horrendous asset management. You were happy to see Hall and Eberle go away for less than ideal returns, and now the team is worse for it. I really don't give a damn about the attitude of players as long as they succeed. The Oilers have been far too obsessed with the boy scout image that they'll turn their nose up at players with potential problems because it would "hurt their image" or some other unimaginable garbage.

Take Mike Hoffman. What his girlfriend did was undeniably shitty. Do you think Panthers fans care right now when he's on a 17 game point streak?

and lol at "If he doesn't pan out, so what". It's another wasted asset. Who cares if the Oilers keep wasting assets? I sure as hell damn care. I'm tired of this organization pissing away useful players for lesser ones and trying to justify it with some garbage explanation.

I hope Ryan Spooner scores 20 goals with the Oilers, but the early returns have not been promising. And this is a GM that clearly has ZERO eye for value and talent. The proof is in the pudding.

I will never cheer against the Oilers. I don't care if they hire the rest of the banners in the rafters as long as they win. But until they start winning with consistency, I will continue to be critical of moves that I feel make no sense. Like this one.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Okay, who the **** is hoping he fails? That's absolute garbage. This is projection, plain and simple. If you want to challenge my opinion that's fine, I don't really care.

My biggest complaint about Chiarelli is the horrendous asset management. You were happy to see Hall and Eberle go away for less than ideal returns, and now the team is worse for it. I really don't give a damn about the attitude of players as long as they succeed. The Oilers have been far too obsessed with the boy scout image that they'll turn their nose up at players with potential problems because it would "hurt their image" or some other unimaginable garbage.

Take Mike Hoffman. What his girlfriend did was undeniably ****ty. Do you think Panthers fans care right now when he's on a 17 game point streak?

and lol at "If he doesn't pan out, so what". It's another wasted asset. Who cares if the Oilers keep wasting assets? I sure as hell damn care. I'm tired of this organization pissing away useful players for lesser ones and trying to justify it with some garbage explanation.

I hope Ryan Spooner scores 20 goals with the Oilers, but the early returns have not been promising. And this is a GM that clearly has ZERO eye for value and talent. The proof is in the pudding.

I will never cheer against the Oilers. I don't care if they hire the rest of the banners in the rafters as long as they win. But until they start winning with consistency, I will continue to be critical of moves that I feel make no sense. Like this one.

hall and ebs succeeded getting points. they did not succeed in any way playing winning hockey. i could care less how many points they get as long as i feel their contributions are a net positive for the team. did we lose offence from them?... sure you can argue that, but did they also rid themselves of players who refused to play the right way and had other liabilities that hurt the team? i think so.

i don't care so much about image of boy scouts. heck i would love tkachuk on this team and most people outside calgary view him as an a$$h***. as long as he's a good teammate that wants to play the right way in helping this team win i'm ok with the player. was prongs maybe an a$$h***? sure, but i think his positives to a team outweigh the negatives.

also, hoffman may be scoring but florida are still near DFL. it's not all about points. though that being said i would have liked to have tried hoffman here. i don't know his story with his GF and erkisson etc. for all we know the story that's out there is inaccurate and it's actually mostly eriksson and his wife at fault. i have heard for a while now that eriksson used to be a real d****. never heard much of that from hoff.

spooner has played 3 freaking games and maybe has had 1 practice with the team and 3 coaches in the last week. cut him some slack. not to say he'll succeed but pump the brakes. he's already looked noticeably more dangerous and skilled than strome even in his limited time here.

and i agree you can criticize but it just seems like it's become so forced and irrational. i get it if people say meh, i don't like it and give reasons... but to blast the trade over and over and over again in such a manner feels forced and biased from blind hate for chia. i also criticize moves but i'm willing to see it play out before i go on extended obsessive rants.... and for what? two nothing players got exchanged. why even waste your time?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
hall and ebs succeeded getting points. they did not succeed in any way playing winning hockey. i could care less how many points they get as long as i feel their contributions are a net positive for the team. did we lose offence from them?... sure you can argue that, but did they also rid themselves of players who refused to play the right way and had other liabilities that hurt the team? i think so.

i don't care so much about image of boy scouts. heck i would love tkachuk on this team and most people outside calgary view him as an a$$h***. as long as he's a good teammate that wants to play the right way in helping this team win i'm ok with the player. was prongs maybe an a$$h***? sure, but i think his positives to a team outweigh the negatives.

also, hoffman may be scoring but florida are still near DFL. it's not all about points. though that being said i would have liked to have tried hoffman here. i don't know his story with his GF and erkisson etc. for all we know the story that's out there is inaccurate and it's actually mostly eriksson and his wife at fault. i have heard for a while now that eriksson used to be a real d****. never heard much of that from hoff.

spooner has played 3 freaking games and maybe has had 1 practice with the team and 3 coaches in the last week. cut him some slack. not to say he'll succeed but pump the brakes. he's already looked noticeably more dangerous and skilled than strome even in his limited time here.

and i agree you can criticize but it just seems like it's become so forced and irrational. i get it if people say meh, i don't like it and give reasons... but to blast the trade over and over and over again in such a manner feels forced and biased from blind hate for chia. i also criticize moves but i'm willing to see it play out before i go on extended obsessive rants.... and for what? two nothing players got exchanged. why even waste your time?

You know why they "didn't succed playing winning hockey"? Because they were surrounded by complete incompetence. Goalies, defensemen, forwards, coaches no longer in the league. f*** the Oilers were so bad they had to convert Hall to center because there was nobody else. How many years outside the playoffs before we hear the same things about McDavid and Draisatl after they're sold off for peanuts? To wit, McDavid was actually even better last year than his MVP year but the Oilers were so bad they dragged him down. Hall won an MVP himself last year, supposedly "not playing the right way" or whatever.

Florida are near DFL because they've played less games than other teams, not to mention just waxed us over a week ago. They're a single victory from vaulting up 4 places in the EC standings.

As for Spooner, the GM should've maybe traded him when they were off for a few days. What was the rush on this deal? Was Ryan Strome doing lines in the locker room or something? And then they fire the coach and bring in someone who Strome likely would've excelled under. There's no coordinated plan with this organization. It's a random events plot.

Again you seem to miss the point of why I get upset. It's because of piss poor asset management. We dealt the last remaining scoring wingers we have (and surprise surprise we now are in need of some) and then deal the lesser player we got in the deal for an even lesser player. Chia managed to convert his loonie into three dimes.

Chiarelli is a terrible GM and should be fired right away before he deals Nurse away for a bottom 6 player or something. He's won maybe 2 trades since he was hired and now Talbot is a wreck and Maroon is no longer here.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Lots of heated discussion in this thread. I think Spooner is (at current) a worse player for this team than Strome. I will give him a solid 2 weeks before making a final judgement.

Not getting scored on and scoring are related. If our 2nd through 4th lines never scored but never got scored on, we would be the best team in the league. Strome might have been underperforming in the scoring department but he was killing it on the defensive side of the puck for the most part. I hope people don't sell him short for that aspect of things.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You know why they "didn't succed playing winning hockey"? Because they were surrounded by complete incompetence. Goalies, defensemen, forwards, coaches no longer in the league. **** the Oilers were so bad they had to convert Hall to center because there was nobody else. How many years outside the playoffs before we hear the same things about McDavid and Draisatl after they're sold off for peanuts? To wit, McDavid was actually even better last year than his MVP year but the Oilers were so bad they dragged him down. Hall won an MVP himself last year, supposedly "not playing the right way" or whatever.

Florida are near DFL because they've played less games than other teams, not to mention just waxed us over a week ago. They're a single victory from vaulting up 4 places in the EC standings.

As for Spooner, the GM should've maybe traded him when they were off for a few days. What was the rush on this deal? Was Ryan Strome doing lines in the locker room or something? And then they fire the coach and bring in someone who Strome likely would've excelled under. There's no coordinated plan with this organization. It's a random events plot.

Again you seem to miss the point of why I get upset. It's because of piss poor asset management. We dealt the last remaining scoring wingers we have (and surprise surprise we now are in need of some) and then deal the lesser player we got in the deal for an even lesser player. Chia managed to convert his loonie into three dimes.

Chiarelli is a terrible GM and should be fired right away before he deals Nurse away for a bottom 6 player or something. He's won maybe 2 trades since he was hired and now Talbot is a wreck and Maroon is no longer here.

great, that's your opinion. the organization deciphered that hall and ebs did not fit into their plan and i agree. the mistake might have been maybe not trading them earlier when their value was much higher. i'm sure they had an inkling about those two but were paralyzed by fear of trading them. a smarter organization would have identified it earlier and been more decisive and said, "hey it's not working with these guys, let's move on." before their value plummeted.

so yes i agree the planning and organization of things can be a bit of a gong show. perhaps because there are too many voices... too many cooks in the kitchen. i'm still not going to fully place blame on chia as i think the group (lowe, macT, nicholson, chia etc) are all to blame. and like i said i wouldn't be sad to see chia gone. i'm just more rational about it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
great, that's your opinion. the organization deciphered that hall and ebs did not fit into their plan and i agree. the mistake might have been maybe not trading them earlier when their value was much higher. i'm sure they had an inkling about those two but were paralyzed by fear of trading them. a smarter organization would have identified it earlier and been more decisive and said, "hey it's not working with these guys, let's move on." before their value plummeted.

so yes i agree the planning and organization of things can be a bit of a gong show. perhaps because there are too many voices... too many cooks in the kitchen. i'm still not going to fully place blame on chia as i think the group (lowe, macT, nicholson, chia etc) are all to blame. and like i said i wouldn't be sad to see chia gone. i'm just more rational about it.
But what is their plan? There's no plan here. We're a mediocre cap strapped team with at least 2 or 3 anchor contracts that aren't going anywhere.

And yes, all those people need to be purged. But it's not like Chiarelli's foray into trading away talented players for scraps began in Edmonton. He did the same thing in Boston and we were warned when he was hired that something like this might happen.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

We have a plan? Why wasn't I informed!?

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
And secondary scoring is apparently irrelevant to others. Spooner has higher upside to help the team in that regard, which we desperately need
No one is saying that secondary scoring is irrelevant, that is a silly straw man. But it's not as important as the goal differential, obviously.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This ends up being a weird trade because of McLellan being fired right after. Chia never got to see Strome used the way he wished, and now he never will. There is a chance he could have though if McLellan was fired first. And Spooner is a guy far more likely to end up in the dog house of a coach like hitch.

Ah well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No one is saying that secondary scoring is irrelevant, that is a silly straw man. But it's not as important as the goal differential, obviously.

Its a lot easier to teach defence than it is to teach offence.

I am not defending the trade BUT if Spooner can become a more responsible defensive player then with his higher end offensive skills he will have more value to the team than what Strome was able to bring.

Reactions: North

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Apparently preventing goals is of no "use" to many Oiler fans.

I'm all for defensive play, but you aren't paying Strome 3.1M to be an OK shutdown C. We certainly weren't going to trust him to shut down the #1Cs in this world... we typically play power vs power. Strome's role was to outscore the opposition and to be one of the offensive guys on a line to support his line mates. (in short, help to eek out some secondary scoring from the likes of Lucic, Caggiula, Khaira, etc)

He wasn't doing that, so it's worth the risk to move on and try and find someone who will.

If we really wanted to go out and get a "saw off" shut down #3C, Strome shouldn't be anywhere near the top of our list, especially at $3.1M. There is no mid/long term risk in moving on from this player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad