Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Vegas received a first rounder, second rounder, Berube and a solid prospect for the Oilers to take Grabovsky's $5 million dollar cap hit from the Islanders and to protect the rest of the team from the expansion draft. Many Islander fans thought that was a solid deal.

The Oilers received Ryan Strome, a thus far failed prospect in order for the Islanders to take on Eberle's 6 million dollar cap hit- a player in his prime and one of the Oiler's top points getter for the past 7 years.

Basically the Islanders signed Eberle to a $1 million dollar/yr contract for the next 2 years for Ryan Strome and lost nobody to the expansion draft when the team was dangerously exposed to that draft.

The Isles/Snow did good.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Eberle is completely useless if he doesn't put up points. And he doesn't. And I doubt that will change with NY. the guy is so complacent with mediocrity Edmonton couldn't ship him out any faster.

Strome is completely useless all the time, so I'll take it.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
In a matter of 24 hours Snow trolled both Vegas and Edmonton. Both teams should have acquired better players from the Islanders for what was being asked of them.

I can't believe the Oilers traded Eberle straight up for Strome for a salary dump. At the very least Vegas got a decent 1st round pick, a second round pick, a decent prospect, and a goaltender to take on the Islanders salary dump.

Eberle is a producing forward in the prime of his career, they should have gotten much more from the Isles. At least Vegas got a half decent haul, but even then I think they should have just gone for the best player available and the Isles had a handful of them.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Coming in late to this, so maybe this was mentioned.

Just taking a quick look at the game logs last regular season and playoffs for Eberle:

Against non-playoff teams he had 40 games played 13 goals (.325 gpg) and 14 assists for 27 points (.67 ppg)

Against playoff teams he had 55 games played 7 goals (.13 gpg) and 19 assists for 26 points (.47 ppg))

That is quite the drop against good teams

Edit: revised to include for Calgary and playoff games

Last edited:

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.

Just taking a quick look at the game logs last regular season for Eberle:

Against non-playoff teams he had 44 games played 17 goals (.39gpg) and 17 assists for 34 points (.77 ppg)

Against playoff teams he had 38 games played 3 goals (.08 gpg) and 14 assists for 17 points (.45 ppg (add in playoffs that drops to .37 ppg))

All you really need to know about Eberle.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Just taking a quick look at the game logs last regular season for Eberle:

Against non-playoff teams he had 44 games played 17 goals (.39gpg) and 17 assists for 34 points (.77 ppg)

Against playoff teams he had 38 games played 3 goals (.08 gpg) and 14 assists for 17 points (.45 ppg (add in playoffs that drops to .37 ppg))

That is quite the drop against good teams (3 goals in 51 games (including playoffs))

OK so do that for RNH, Draisaitl, And Mcdavid too so we get a better perspective.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
So glad that Eberle is gone. He was the last of the group of players that needed to get shipped out. I was hoping that he would have been left unprotected and picked up by Vegas.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Just taking a quick look at the game logs last regular season and playoffs for Eberle:

Against non-playoff teams he had 40 games played 13 goals (.325 gpg) and 14 assists for 27 points (.67 ppg)

Against playoff teams he had 55 games played 7 goals (.13 gpg ) and 19 assists for 26 points (.47 ppg)

My mistake on this (I missed Calgary, which he had 4 of his 7 goals against playoff teams). Take out Calgary he only had 3 goals in 51 games against playoff teams.

So revised above.

Last edited:

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
Could have Edmonton not done better in all of this? Strome could be gone in a year so they basically gave away a trade chip for nothing.

I get the fanbase is trying to spin this into a positive but you have to think they could have made out better....or not?

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Could have Edmonton not done better in all of this? Strome could be gone in a year so they basically gave away a trade chip for nothing.

I get the fanbase is trying to spin this into a positive but you have to think they could have made out better....or not?
Strome is an RFA next season. If he's gone, it would be because Edmonton trades him.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.

Well the best case would have been Vegas picking him up. Strome is a good risk id take. I mean the book has been out on eberle for a while now. Push him lightly and he'll cough up the puck. Not much use these days for a player who can only score on the weak teams.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
OK so do that for RNH, Draisaitl, And Mcdavid too so we get a better perspective.

For Draisaitl:

40 games against non playoff teams he had 14 goals (.35 ppg) and 30 assists for 44 points (1.1 ppg)

55 games against playoff teams he had 21 goals (.38 gpg) and 28 assists for 49 points (.89 ppg)

McDavid:

40 games against non playoff teams he had 15 goals (.38 ppg) and 34 assists for 49 points (1.23 ppg)

55 games against playoff teams he had 20 goals (.36 gpg ) and 40 assists for 60 points (1.09ppg)

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
At 1st I was like why are people saying the Oilers got ripped off, Strome was the 3rd overall Pick in the 2015 draft behind McDavid and Eichel. Then I realized that the Oilers traded for Ryan Strome and not Dylan Strome.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com

here is a spin for you

Primary points are goals + first assists. This stat is more useful when comparing 2 players because 2nd assists are more of a reflection of the quality of linemates than your own contribution. If you play with stars, they are going to score a lot of goals while you are on the ice not doing much so it makes sense.

In the last 3 years (strome's nhl career), his 5x5 primary points per 60 minutes of ice time was 1.45. Not bad, not great. Eberle's 5x5 primary points per 60 minutes of ice time was 1.45, exactly the same as Strome.

Eberle had more points because of more ice time, more pp time, and better linemates. When you filter the noise, they scored at exactly the same rate.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
here is a spin for you

Primary points are goals + first assists. This stat is more useful when comparing 2 players because 2nd assists are more of a reflection of the quality of linemates than your own contribution. If you play with stars, they are going to score a lot of goals while you are on the ice not doing much so it makes sense.

In the last 3 years (strome's nhl career), his 5x5 primary points per 60 minutes of ice time was 1.45. Not bad, not great. Eberle's 5x5 primary points per 60 minutes of ice time was 1.45, exactly the same as Strome.

Eberle had more points because of more ice time, more pp time, and better linemates. When you filter the noise, they scored at exactly the same rate.

who was better on the PP? Eberle.

and who could use some improvement on their PP?

Isles...

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Congrats on the spin zone of the century oil fans. You guys got totally fleeced the sooner you accept that the better

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.

Isles...

Heh. Eberle doesn't make a PP. He cleans up juicy easy rebounds and only sometimes too if it's not a whiff or misses the net.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Isles...

Isles should have traded for Letestu then...

2016-17: Games Played = 82 , GWG = 0

Ebs for some reason had a muffin shot last year and could never get one timers going.
He lost his PP spot and ~10 more goals to Letestu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad