Waived: [EDM] G Jack Campbell waived by the Oilers (cleared)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
McDavid and Draisaitl going supernova the last few years covered up an awful lot of his mistakes. Skinner coming up and taking over for Campbell covered up that mistake too. Ekholm came in and was a difference maker but with his injury and (maybe) advancing age, I'm worried.

More than anything though, McDavid not being himself and only being a point per game forward rather than the best and most productive player on the planet has really exposed what this team is. They simply don't have enough guys that can push the river on their own accord. They can't buy a save, which doesn't help, but other teams are managing to win with garbage goaltending (see: Carolina) but Edmonton's offense has fallen off a cliff, too.
I agree. I told a friend the other day, that I expect this isn't as far off from what this team has always been, the difference is the powerplay has dried up and our goalies are both playing rotten. It has exposed some issues, that's for sure.

Is it just me or has Edmonton become a graveyard for any goalie......
I don't think "become" is the right word here. It's been that way for a long time. We haven't had a really good, above average goalie since Cam Talbot, and we ruined him too.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Being unaware of his public discussions of his mental health struggles, doesn't make someone commenting on it speculation.
Saying he should enter the Players Assistance program without any knowledge of what or how his mental health actually is, is nothing but pure speculation. Being a bad goalie does not an any way imply he has mental health problems

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lots of defenseman go to die there also….

Larsson, fayne, schultz, petry…. Definitely missing some
Larsson didn't die in Edmonton. He was fine until he left, aside from a short time when his play reflected that he was in mourning over the loss of his dad. Petry didn't die in Edmonton either, we developed him, and our dumbass management chased him away right as he entered his prime.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Are we really wondering if he is going to clear or not? Ha ha ha.
What a silly question. We are discussing it. So there is a some care-level.

If you're a fan of another team you are wondering if your GM is going to pick up Campbell (crazier things have happened). You might care if you're a fan of their AHL team too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Saying he should enter the Players Assistance program without any knowledge of what or how his mental health actually is, is nothing but pure speculation. Being a bad goalie does not an any way imply he has mental health problems
What part of, Jack Campbell's mental health issues are public knowledge, because he's talked about it publicly, is difficult to understand? If this is difficult for you to comprehend, all the best.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What a silly question. We are discussing it. So there is a some care-level.

If you're a fan of another team you are wondering if your GM is going to pick up Campbell (crazier things have happened). You might care if you're a fan of their AHL team too.
Who said anything about caring? I said wondering, implying that there are no GM's out there that would take him right now.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
The goaltending has been awful and no excuses but I'd attempt to fix the D first. We are clearly missing one guy in our Top 4. I hope they are ready to move heaven and earth for someone similar to Ekholm. Needs to be near him and better than Ceci on the right side.

Nurse ????
Ek Bouch
Kulak Ceci

Then spread the minutes out much more evenly. Eg. top pair is 20 and bottom is 16. Obviously special teams will change that a bit.

I think the offense would improve and so would the goaltending. Again, though, not saying the goaltending isn't to blame... but feel we are going about it wrong. You do a fantasy Ullmark for Campbell swap and watch Ullmark be sub .900 and Jack be .905.

Just a top pair right defenseman when the Oilers have 700k (?) in space and a 21 man roster? I guess that starts with a pretty costly trade of Campbell to begin to get the space. Then start adding for a top pair RD.
The Blackhawks IRL face constraints to do so and the willingness to part isn’t straightforward, either, but Seth Jones/Murphy would be solid in exchange for cap + coming back

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Who said anything about caring? I said wondering, implying that there are no GM's out there that would take him right now.
I'm not cynical I guess. I don't go around claiming to be certain of everything. It's possible no one will take him, but some of us don't have time machines or crystal balls.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
What part of, Jack Campbell's mental health issues are public knowledge, because he's talked about it publicly, is difficult to understand? If this is difficult for you to comprehend, all the best
What part of, Jack Campbell's mental health issues are public knowledge, because he's talked about it publicly, is difficult to understand? If this is difficult for you to comprehend, all the best.
He has talked publicly about having to work on the mental aspects of being a goaltender. Not exactly what the player assistance program is for. Thats more a sports phycologist or you know, going down to the AHL to work on it.

Show me where he has ever brought his personnel mental health struggles from his day to day life outside of the rink into any conversation meant for the public to dissect. You are getting mixed up in what the Player Assistance Program is really for. And seeing as he has not entered it, and I of course assume he and his family would know more then you, I feel you are just talking out your ass.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't get why Campbell was not tried in the playoffs? every time Skinner got pulled Campbell put up awesome stats, seemed obvious to anyone that uses their brain to try Campbell instead and see if that can help for a full game. I'm fine Oilers losing but I was left scratching my head regardless.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not cynical I guess. I don't go around claiming to be certain of everything. It's possible no one will take him, but some of us don't have time machines or crystal balls.
I think, given the evidence we have before us - huge salary cap hit, multiple year contract, few teams with cap space, and putrid performance from the player - its pretty safe to assume he won't clear. It isn't just possible that nobody will take him, it is probable, and if it happens, it will be one of the most shocking moves in NHL history, with no hyperbole involved here.

By your logic, we can't be certain that sun will rise tomorrow, so we need to wait to see if it actually will. But given what we know, we can be pretty confident in saying that it will.

Hearing some rumors about a potential Campbell for binnington trade…
Hearing from where? Anywhere reliable, or just fans spitballing about it?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Being unaware of his public discussions of his mental health struggles, doesn't make someone commenting on it speculation.
Being unaware of what the PAP is actually for then may be the issue.
Because insinuating he needs to enter it is speculative at best

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Wow, he was claimed by the Bakersfield Condors!

Bet he is relieved to go where he is wanted now.

Can he win the highly coveted Calder Trophy? Bakersfield sure thinks so now!

Lets Go Jack, you got this man!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad