Confirmed with Link: [EDM/FLA] Jerred Smithson for a 4th Round Pick

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Lander was re-assigned, he'll be back tomorrow (rosters expand) and Smithson will join the team on the California leg, as he and his Fiancee just had a child unit.

Edit: 402, it starts at midnight.

I see, so they would be essentially recalling him tomorrow assigning him was just a formality

Frankly i don't think they should recall lander unless they want to play him in vancouver but after that with our new player filling the fourth center spot we don't need lander especially not in the press box

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I like this trade. More energy more size more face-off wins. Edmonton oilers are a better team today then they where yesterday.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I see, so they would be essentially recalling him tomorrow assigning him was just a formality

Frankly i don't think they should recall lander unless they want to play him in vancouver but after that with our new player filling the fourth center spot we don't need lander especially not in the press box
Well apparently he does actually have to go on a plane to OKC. I think they will, no need to try to get the old man to gut it out on back to back nights.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
What's the reason for them having to actually physically fly back to the AHL team? What's the League's reasoning for doing that instead of just allowing a team to make it a paper transaction?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What's the reason for them having to actually physically fly back to the AHL team? What's the League's reasoning for doing that instead of just allowing a team to make it a paper transaction?

I think they make teams do that so they aren't dicking around with the cap with paper transactions.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I like this trade, Smithson is not going to wow us, but he is a capable veteran C that will make us a better team, and provides us with some attributes that we need.

My problems with the trade are the following:
1) Our center depth should of been addressed in the off-season and I feel the only reason it wasn't was due to pie in sky optimism that one or both of Lander and Vande Velde were NHL ready.
2) We paid more than Florida did to acquire him a 6th vs. a 4th round pick.

That said he is a useful addition to the team and the cost was still low, so :thumbu:.

Given our long term goals and the UFA's we are carrying we could of easily have been sellers hopefully the team takes this as vote of confidence and grabs a playoff spot. If we show some progress and actually make the playoffs we should be seen as a team on the rise and hopefully it will help attract some UFA's in the off-season, not the greatest UFA year, but with the buy-outs that will take place a couple interesting names might be added.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
gives Vande Velde and Lander competition in the near future.

Yeah, VandeVelde's time is up, unless he will take an AHL contract only. I guess centers for OKC next year will be Lander, Martindale, Ewanyk and probably an AHL vet.

Sloth Slothersons*

I'd like to see Smithson draw into the lineup on Saturday. Give Smyth another night/day in the pressbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad