Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Still not a single person saying what they would have done instead, except "wait til next year on the off chance Nurse sucks and try to lowball him". Which is a different way of saying let him walk.

So, you're the GM of the Edmonton Oilers, the team battling it out with Winnipeg and Columbus for hardest place to get impact free agents and one of the top teams to go on everyone's NTC (something almost all impact players tend to have now). You decide to heroically lose Nurse rather than overpaying him. McDavid and Drasaitl have 4 and 3 years left at their contracts, and both get more than a little peeved because he's both their BFF and the guy holding the defense together. Your defense is now anchored by Duncan Keith and a bunch of players graduated from lower leagues who'd all be rookies. At defense. What do you do?
I assumed McDavid had a role in this, directly or indirectly (probably the latter.) I literally cannot come up with any other rationale for this.

Then again, this is not the first time this summer I’ve asked myself “What the hell are they doing?” so I’m still a little skeptical about the lack-of-choice thing.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
I assumed McDavid had a role in this, directly or indirectly (probably the latter.) I literally cannot come up with any other rationale for this.

Rationale for a contending team not rolling with Barrie, Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov for the rest of McDavid's contract?

Hamilton would look nice there, sure, but something tells me they couldn't just snap their fingers and offer him the money New Jersey did and get him, or any D of his caliber.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
That seems like a lot but I didn't realize Nurse had such a good season.

If he is actually a 50+ point/year d-man playing top pair minutes then it's still bad but maybe not that bad.

I think everyone knows it really depends on how much he is out with MacDavid and Draisaitl.

Its going rate for number 1 dmen and about what people should expect to pay on most teams

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Still not a single person saying what they would have done instead, except "wait til next year on the off chance Nurse sucks and try to lowball him". Which is a different way of saying let him walk.

So, you're the GM of the Edmonton Oilers, the team battling it out with Winnipeg and Columbus for hardest place to get impact free agents and one of the top teams to go on everyone's NTC (something almost all impact players tend to have now). You decide to heroically lose Nurse rather than overpaying him. McDavid and Drasaitl have 4 and 3 years left at their contracts, and both get more than a little peeved because he's both their BFF and the guy holding the defense together. Your defense is now anchored by Duncan Keith and a bunch of players graduated from lower leagues who'd all be rookies. At defense. What do you do?

I'd make a highlight video of the other d and show them what they can do well.

Show Nurse what he can do well.

Then explain the difference in their ability to create offense is much greater than his ability is to stop offense, if he even does it better than the others.

Over paying to keep Nurse is 8 mill.

This is 1.25 mill more... They're overpaying the f***ing guy by like 2, 2.5 mill.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
I'd make a highlight video of the other d and show them what they can do well.

Show Nurse what he can do well.

Then explain the difference in their ability to create offense is much greater than his ability is to stop offense, if he even does it better than the others.

Over paying to keep Nurse is 8 mill.

This is 1.25 mill more... They're overpaying the f***ing guy by like 2, 2.5 mill.

...how does any of this help the Oilers contend, again? Do you "explain" to other teams that they should stop scoring on the Oilers while you're at it?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Who are they going to replace him with ? a 7 million dollar number 3 defenseman ? Leafs aren't going anywhere with a trash defensive core. You want top 2 guys... you have to pay them top 2 money. Chicago set the bar.
This isn't top 2 money though, this is Norris level money. A very small amount of defenseman are worth this amount

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
This isn't top 2 money though, this is Norris level money. A very small amount of defenseman are worth this amount

Are those defensemen entering their prime and willing to play for the Edmonton Oilers? Bonus points if they've already shown they can be a reasonably successful 1D for the Oilers.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
...how does any of this help the Oilers contend, again? Do you "explain" to other teams that they should stop scoring on the Oilers while you're at it?

Nah, you explain that he doesn't prevent goals at a high enough pace to get 9.25.

overpaying players prevents you from getting a deep team, too.

How are you going to explain to Nurse he needs to play 45 minutes a night for his 8 year contract unless the cap starts to take some significant jumps

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

You tell him to prove he’s a 9 million dollar commitment in a flat cap environment by actually having a full season, for once in his career, where he’s a number one defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad