Confirmed with Link: [EDM/CAR] Jesse Puljujarvi for Patrik Puistola

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wasn't on our radar or we didn't want him.

Sergachev would have been a reach pick but in retrospect we should have. JP fell into our laps... sadly :(
I think he was going to be our selection at #4 if we didn't trade the pick to Montreal. Oilers media was really pushing Tkachuk hard so I started watching his junior games and was very unimpressed by him. Thought he was to slow and a product of Marner.

I think the Sergachev rumor came around when there was the rumor at the draft of Hall and #4 for Subban and #9.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I don't hope he fails I just think that he will. Seeing his lack of success just confirms he was good riddance after many many chances with the Oilers. I have nothing against him but I don't think he is an NHL player.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think he was going to be our selection at #4 if we didn't trade the pick to Montreal. Oilers media was really pushing Tkachuk hard so I started watching his junior games and was very unimpressed by him. Thought he was to slow and a product of Marner.

I think the Sergachev rumor came around when there was the rumor at the draft of Hall and #4 for Subban and #9.
There was a rumoured pre-draft trade down apparently in the works for Sergachev. This made sense given the team need but also Rocky Thompson as head coach in Windsor just after his tenure in the Oilers organization. That supposed deal with Montreal went out the window when Dubois went third overall. Puljujarvi dropped to four and the Oilers ran to the podium.

Personally, I saw Tkachuk live at the Memorial Cup apparently playing on one leg following getting hurt in the OHL playoffs. He was an absolute beast and clearly not the product of Marner, moreso, a hard, physical scorer who left me drooling thinking of McDavid's future winger. That Knights team was stacked and if anything I felt Olli Juolevi was massively overrated by the powerhouse forward group on that team. Didn't see the douchebag that Turtle Tkachuk would become as an NHLer.

Between Puljujarvi and Laine, I felt there was clear separation with Laine being the better player and more mature European teenager. Puljujarvi has a lot of work to do to reset himself as a two way NHL forward. Highest priority is that he hire a skills coach to work on fine motor skills, his hands and shooting, and rebuild his mental capacity to play at apex level of NHL competition. Such a shame to see this person struggle so much.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007

Sergachev would have been a reach pick but in retrospect we should have. JP fell into our laps... sadly :(
I'm pretty sure heading into the draft, the speculation was that we were taking Tkachuk. Until Columbus f***ed everything up by passing on Pizza Boy.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There was a rumoured pre-draft trade down apparently in the works for Sergachev. This made sense given the team need but also Rocky Thompson as head coach in Windsor just after his tenure in the Oilers organization. That supposed deal with Montreal went out the window when Dubois went third overall. Puljujarvi dropped to four and the Oilers ran to the podium.

Personally, I saw Tkachuk live at the Memorial Cup apparently playing on one leg following getting hurt in the OHL playoffs. He was an absolute beast and clearly not the product of Marner, moreso, a hard, physical scorer who left me drooling thinking of McDavid's future winger. That Knights team was stacked and if anything I felt Olli Juolevi was massively overrated by the powerhouse forward group on that team. Didn't see the douchebag that Turtle Tkachuk would become as an NHLer.

Between Puljujarvi and Laine, I felt there was clear separation with Laine being the better player and more mature European teenager. Puljujarvi has a lot of work to do to reset himself as a two way NHL forward. Highest priority is that he hire a skills coach to work on fine motor skills, his hands and shooting, and rebuild his mental capacity to play at apex level of NHL competition. Such a shame to see this person struggle so much.
I thought Juolevi was going to be a stud in the NHL. I also thought that about Reinhart after the Oilers acquired him. It's a good thing I'm not an NHL scout.

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I'm pretty sure heading into the draft, the speculation was that we were taking Tkachuk. Until Columbus f***ed everything up by passing on Pizza Boy.
From what I recall, the oilers were going to trade down to draft Sergatchev who went 9th to MTL. Oilers were not too impressed with MT’s skating. Then Pizza boy fell in Chias lap. But I could be wrong. At least they didn’t draft Olli Juolevi. Silly Canucks.

Edit: @Behind Enemy Lines summed it up earlier

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Tkachuk was absolutely outstanding in the Memorial Cup that year. He was obviously clutch and an NHL talent. I thought for sure he would end up as the Oiler's pick.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Tkachuk was absolutely outstanding in the Memorial Cup that year. He was obviously clutch and an NHL talent. I thought for sure he would end up as the Oiler's pick.
JP was the WJC MVP.
Ultra Rare occurance a draft eligible player wins it then busts.

Infact I can't recall that ever happening before.

Reactions: TheNumber4

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Makes you wonder about the snowball effect from that decision. Everyone thought Pulju could replace Hall. If Columbus doesn’t pass on Pulju and we take Sergachev, maybe we don’t trade Hall for Larsson

Nope. Sergachev was 100% our pick

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Makes you wonder about the snowball effect from that decision. Everyone thought Pulju could replace Hall. If Columbus doesn’t pass on Pulju and we take Sergachev, maybe we don’t trade Hall for Larsson

Nope. Sergachev was 100% our pick
I dont recall it being everyone. Mostly Chia apologists and Anti-Hall people saying JP + Lucic would replace the offence Hall brought lol

LoLucic

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I dont recall it being everyone. Mostly Chia apologists and Anti-Hall people saying JP + Lucic would replace the offence Hall brought lol

LoLucic

It maybe wasn’t EVERYONE, but it was definitely not just Chia fans. It also wasn’t just Oiler fans. Pulju was hyped up as a guy that probably would have gone 1st overall in some of the other recent drafts.

Reactions: frag2

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Shane Wright dropped and the following teams didn't trip over themselves to get him.

Chia probably didn't even scout Pizza Pop

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought Juolevi was going to be a stud in the NHL. I also thought that about Reinhart after the Oilers acquired him. It's a good thing I'm not an NHL scout.
True to the bolded, but unfortunately, the guy that pushed for him to be acquired is amazingly still working for the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad