Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] Linus Omark For Conditional 6th '14

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Third-hand information and several days late, but Omark has refused to report to Rochester and wants to go home to play for Lulea in the SEL.

The End.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What's with this guy?

Every time he gets challenged, he takes his ball and goes home?

Why would Lulea even want a player like that? Is this the same Lulea team who decided to sit him in an important playoff game last year?

EDIT: Upon further review, it was Zug in the Swiss league. Nevertheless...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Third-hand information and several days late, but Omark has refused to report to Rochester and wants to go home to play for Lulea in the SEL.

The End.

Linus;

I want my mommy!

Man, we had this guy figured out several years ago. Trick pony with not nearly the mental resilience to handle the deep end here.

The NHL ruined him..:sarcasm:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If it is confirmed that he'll be heading out I'd just like to wish him good luck with whatever he does from here on. He couldn't make it over here but I think he tried his best and he doesn't seem like a bad person so I see no real reason to salt the earth he stood on after his departure...

Chapter closed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If it is confirmed that he'll be heading out I'd just like to wish him good luck with whatever he does from here on. He couldn't make it over here but I think he tried his best and he doesn't seem like a bad person so I see no real reason to salt the earth he stood on after his departure...

Chapter closed.

True enough. Its that darker side that gets in me from time to time.;)

But somehow I don't know the chapter is ever closed. This one seems to have a lot of sequels.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Linus;

I want my mommy!

Man, we had this guy figured out several years ago. Trick pony with not nearly the mental resilience to handle the deep end here.

The NHL ruined him..:sarcasm:

Really, if you knew with certainty your NHL dream was over, you'd stick around?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Really, if you knew with certainty your NHL dream was over, you'd stick around?

I probably wouldn't do the whole thing several times over while contradicting myself at every turn publicly stating to media "I'm really committed to NHL, will do anything possible to stay in NHL including going to AHL and working my game, I serious this time, I mean it" contrasted with

"Screw it, I go to Lulea" every other time.

Its that Linus has so often flipflopped, and entirely on this in his comments and intent that is kind of funny.

Really if Linus didn't have this burning need to state everything he's thinking he'd never even be a story.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
You guys are ridiculous. He played lights out for OKC, he gave it a good try to be an NHLer this season. Now that he wants to go play at home (where his wife and family are) after its clear he isn't going to be playing in this league he's a baby who needs his mommy?

Nice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You guys are ridiculous. He played lights out for OKC, he gave it a good try to be an NHLer this season. Now that he wants to go play at home (where his wife and family are) after its clear he isn't going to be playing in this league he's a baby who needs his mommy?

Nice.

Sure guy. I spelled out exactly why what Linus states is ridiculously and its because every few months he's stating the polar opposite of what he did before.

As far as giving it a "good try" to be an NHLer this season. lol

Where? I missed it.

He played the Oilers like it was his Stanley Cup game but other than that he's been putrid.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
He signed a barebones 2 way contract with the Oilers to come back after playing Switzerland (tore that league up) as his last ditch effort to play in the NHL.
He took his assignment to the AHL was OKC's best forward (again).
He didn't cause a media circus when he didn't make the team out of camp and was traded like both camps agreed upon.
You miss a lot of stuff you don't want to see.

So he didn't light the world on fire in Buffalo, but how many games did you watch I wonder? No **** he played the Oilers hard, he probably wanted to stick it to them (but pretty much all former players do) so not sure what your point is there.

And now because he wants to go back and play close to home he's a crying whiny baby?

Holy crap. The guy didn't succeed. If he didn't have so many rabid supporters coming here and posting maybe the board wouldn't be so hard on him, your posts about him going back with his tail between his legs and crying to mommy are so petulant.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He signed a barebones 2 way contract with the Oilers to come back after playing Switzerland (tore that league up) as his last ditch effort to play in the NHL.
He took his assignment to the AHL was OKC's best forward (again).
He didn't cause a media circus when he didn't make the team out of camp and was traded like both camps agreed upon.
You miss a lot of stuff you don't want to see.

So he didn't light the world on fire in Buffalo, but how many games did you watch I wonder? No **** he played the Oilers hard, he probably wanted to stick it to them (but pretty much all former players do) so not sure what your point is there.

And now because he wants to go back and play close to home he's a crying whiny baby?

Holy crap. The guy didn't succeed. If he didn't have so many rabid supporters coming here and posting maybe the board wouldn't be so hard on him, your posts about him going back with his tail between his legs and crying to mommy are so petulant.

More drama. He played like **** in the NHL, which was supposedly the league he wanted to try to accomplish something in. He wasn't any good with the Oilers and was apparently worse in Buffalo.

Glad he's gone really.

As far as the point about trying to stick it to the Oilers it was hilarious how ineffectual he was at actually doing that.

Raffi Torres scored a Hat Trick against the Oilers one game. Put Eberle in lala land in another.

Omark couldn't even make an impact as hard as he wanted to. It was funny if anything to see that. Couldn't even get it done against the team he had wanted to stick it to.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
More drama. He played like **** in the NHL, which was supposedly the league he wanted to try to accomplish something in. He wasn't any good with the Oilers and was apparently worse in Buffalo.

Glad he's gone really.

As far as the point about trying to stick it to the Oilers it was hilarious how ineffectual he was at actually doing that.

Raffi Torres scored a Hat Trick against the Oilers one game. Put Eberle in lala land in another.

Omark couldn't even make an impact as hard as he wanted to. It was funny if anything to see that. Couldn't even get it done against the team he had wanted to stick it to.

Who cares about Raffi Torres? This thread isn't about him and has nothing to do with any of the points I was making.

Omark wasn't exactly a ******* player. He scored at a .4 ppg clip in the NHL, which is a lot better than a lot of the skating refrigerators people are clamoring to trade for on this board. So he didn't work out as an Oiler, so he didn't work out as an NHLer (for whatever reason, I still think he could have). To take such delight in his "failure" is weird, like he personally wronged posters here or something.

Also one last point; the only "drama" surrounding his second stint here was completely made up here. He took an olive branch deal, was given a fair try to try and make the team, he didn't whine when he didn't, he went to the AHL and tried to play his way onto another NHL roster, and he didn't trash the organization when he left.

So where is the drama?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Who cares about Raffi Torres? This thread isn't about him and has nothing to do with any of the points I was making.

Omark wasn't exactly a ******* player. He scored at a .4 ppg clip in the NHL, which is a lot better than a lot of the skating refrigerators people are clamoring to trade for on this board. So he didn't work out as an Oiler, so he didn't work out as an NHLer (for whatever reason, I still think he could have). To take such delight in his "failure" is weird, like he personally wronged posters here or something.

Also one last point; the only "drama" surrounding his second stint here was completely made up here. He took an olive branch deal, was given a fair try to try and make the team, he didn't whine when he didn't, he went to the AHL and tried to play his way onto another NHL roster, and he didn't trash the organization when he left.

So where is the drama?

The drama is in telling people what they should or shouldn't post or that its ridiculous or unreasonable. Within rules I'll post what I want.

From an Oiler standpoint any criticism of Linus Omark is fairly warranted. He was a complete bust and a waste of a spot, pick, development etc.. Guy scored 8 NHL goals in his 3 season NHL career. JFJ scored at a more prolific pace/min without being on the PP.

This team would be better off not going on these fishing expeditions. Omark was poorly suited to this NHL game from the start like I was saying at the time. To bad the club wasted time on his dimestore tricks.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
He played 79 games, not 246.
Also he was a 5th round pick, go ahead and tell me the last time a 5th round pick has become an impact player. Not sure how you can waste a 5th round pick by picking a kid with an out of this world set of skills with an outside shot of becoming an NHLer.
I also disagree with you that he was a complete bust. He played 79 games and scored a point in 40% of them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He played 79 games, not 246.
Also he was a 5th round pick, go ahead and tell me the last time a 5th round pick has become an impact player. Not sure how you can waste a 5th round pick by picking a kid with an out of this world set of skills with an outside shot of becoming an NHLer.
I also disagree with you that he was a complete bust. He played 79 games and scored a point in 40% of them.

While regularly getting topsix toi, PP rotation while being a fantastic disaster EV. Fair enough on the 5th round pick, least it didn't cost us much that way.

But developing players like this and spending 3 yrs on them is plain silly. Good teams will pick plausible players to put this degree of effort into. Omark was never going to be an NHL player and most of us realize that and have all along. So why is a pro club putting such faith in a so obviously poorly suited player?

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
In the 3 seasons he played with the Oilers, they were spending a lot of time in flux with coaching and trying out young players apart from Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. Its not like playing Omark was costing the team vital points or development, those teams never had a hope of making the post season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
In the 3 seasons he played with the Oilers, they were spending a lot of time in flux with coaching and trying out young players apart from Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. Its not like playing Omark was costing the team vital points or development, those teams never had a hope of making the post season.

So Its OK for the club to just have a platoon of pretenders in the lineup for multiple years in front of a crowd paying huge bucks and furthermore squeezing these pretenders into an NHL topsix. Not only did this cost time that could've been spend developing other potential players, or having actual players in the lineup, but stringing the lot to Sam Gagner didn't exactly help his career either. Whats a guy like Gagner, a competitor, supposed to think when the club saddles him with two rookies Omark and Paajarvi. That they hate him? Gagner was 21 at the time. lol.

If I worked for a company that tells me I have to carry guys like this and then busts my balls for not producing enough I'd communicate something about that..

So its not just one player, its several the Oilers carried that ideally weren't suited for primetime and with this impacting the atmosphere and compete level of the whole club. When the guys you are playing with are so inept theres just not much you can do.

Look up learned helplessness paradigm. Because its the situation the oilers puts its players into year after year after year. Eventually the dog just feels whipped. This being the entire Oilers disposition in most games.

Last edited:

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I didn't say it was okay, but its fairly obvious to everybody that that's what was going on.

They had a bunch of young players, they had traded away or gotten rid of pretty much all their veteran support. They were seeing what they had. If Gagner didn't like what he saw, he could have went to arbitration, signed a contract and became a free agent that much quicker. Nobody put a gun to his head to sign a contract. I suspect like most NHL players he probably cares more about his pay cheque than where he's playing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I didn't say it was okay, but its fairly obvious to everybody that that's what was going on.

They had a bunch of young players, they had traded away or gotten rid of pretty much all their veteran support. They were seeing what they had. If Gagner didn't like what he saw, he could have went to arbitration, signed a contract and became a free agent that much quicker. Nobody put a gun to his head to sign a contract. I suspect like most NHL players he probably cares more about his pay cheque than where he's playing.

Well, I know you follow my point perfectly well. When you put your players in a position of can't possibly complete year after year, and then have your go to guys playing alongside guys that shouldn't even be in the league then this is a perfect storm impacting those remaining players on an ongoing basis. Think about it, an NHL line composed of a 21yr old center and two raw rookies. Now who thought that was going to be a good idea? Its pretty much a recipe on how to destroy compete level. Its a demonstration of bad faith on the org level stranding your players like that for multiple seasons.

You can take the fight out of the dog. This org is really good at doing that with players that are any good.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Well, I know you follow my point perfectly well. When you put your players in a position of can't possibly complete year after year, and then have your go to guys playing alongside guys that shouldn't even be in the league then this is a perfect storm impacting those remaining players on an ongoing basis. Think about it, an NHL line composed of a 21yr old center and two raw rookies. Now who thought that was going to be a good idea? Its pretty much a recipe on how to destroy compete level. Its a demonstration of bad faith on the org level stranding your players like that for multiple seasons.

You can take the fight out of the dog. This org is really good at doing that with players that are any good.

1) It worked so well for them the first time ... (sam, robert, andrew), well, almost anyway.

2) Won't argue with you on that point.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sabres have Linus Omark on unconditional waivers today, presumably for the purpose of terminating his contract.

No surprise, Linus Omark, no matter what you want to say, is not and will not be an NHL Hockey Player.

Good Luck to him in Europe, but no one should be sad he's gone. Finally this chapter is closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad