Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA/TBL] Oilers acquire Adam Henrique (75% ret.), Sam Carrick (50% ret.), Ty Taylor & ANA 7th '24 <-> EDM 1st '24, cond. 4th '25, & cond. 5th '25

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He’s also dealing witha pretty big emotional upheaval as was clear from his after hours interview when he choked up talking about missing his family. I will reserve judgement on this trade for now, he’s a human being and it can take guys a bit of time. I have seen evidence of good play there, he’s also being stuffed on a pretty crappy line right now so it’s not like he’s being given any help.
Yeah. His wife just had a baby before the trade. I can't even imagine having to commit to a trade and playing elsewhere instead of being at home, or at least home half the time. Another thing that I didn't want is the team had Henrique join them on the road trip, immediately, and he he was playing the day after the trade. No reason to do that. Give Henrique time to make amends, settle down, and have some time for he and wife to adjust and them come in. What would have been wrong with henrique just joining the club back in Edmonton. That he was so quickly required (or felt that) to join the team immediately isn't consistent even with what many players get when they have a kid. Many players miss a game and are excused when they' just had a baby in the family.

Henrique is 34 too. Close to retirement, and been through the battles and surely the relationship, has, as with almost all hockey relationships where the pro game creates estrangement and stress on its own. What with hockey wives constantly feeling alone, kind of abandoned at home. I can't imagine either how Mrs Henrique is feeling about all this. She'll have her husband and babies father at side probably in a couple years but she needs him NOW.

Its guaranteed that the immediacy of Henrique having to pack and get to the airport promptly added to the stress and erased any ability to even have a valid discussion with his wife. To even dialog the move adequately at all.

So that this is hard, really hard, on anybody in the Henrique household. Lets cut him some slack.

People we're just telling me last week that we're such a great fanbase because Connor Brown got support scoring one goal all season. Well Henrique could probably use some cheer as much as anybody on the team. Nobody has experienced the upheaval he has since TDL.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Said this earlier about guys who seems to put up garbage time points on bad teams...Henrique, Bjugstad, etc. Gotta watch out for those guys. Holland's pro scouting strategy seems to be "they've been in the league a long time, I've been hearing their name forever."
which is hilarious considering some people are dying for Kostin to come back based on a few games in SJ

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
which is hilarious considering some people are dying for Kostin to come back based on a few games in SJ
Or it could even be based on Kostin scoring 14G for us last season while being a limited minutes mostly bottomsix player and leading the team in hits and being every aspect of physical identity role player including fighting. Kostin is a clear gamer. People that respect the physical element of hockey, and the impact that has (excuse pun) tend to like the contribution. Teams or fans that want pretty hockey (Detroit) don't like it and don't like this kind of meat and potatoes kind of player. A guy like Eakins would hate Kostin. But more old school coaches would recognize the assets. That this guy can do every aspect of role and still score is value. Even at 2M, if we had it to spare, its value.

In anycase Kostin was available and we could have had him back for pennies at TDL. just saying.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yeah. His wife just had a baby before the trade. I can't even imagine having to commit to a trade and playing elsewhere instead of being at home, or at least home half the time. Another thing that I didn't want is the team had Henrique join them on the road trip, immediately, and he he was playing the day after the trade. No reason to do that. Give Henrique time to make amends, settle down, and have some time for he and wife to adjust and them come in. What would have been wrong with henrique just joining the club back in Edmonton. That he was so quickly required (or felt that) to join the team immediately isn't consistent even with what many players get when they have a kid. Many players miss a game and are excused when they' just had a baby in the family.

Henrique is 34 too. Close to retirement, and been through the battles and surely the relationship, has, as with almost all hockey relationships where the pro game creates estrangement and stress on its own. What with hockey wives constantly feeling alone, kind of abandoned at home. I can't imagine either how Mrs Henrique is feeling about all this. She'll have her husband and babies father at side probably in a couple years but she needs him NOW.

Its guaranteed that the immediacy of Henrique having to pack and get to the airport promptly added to the stress and erased any ability to even have a valid discussion with his wife. To even dialog the move adequately at all.

So that this is hard, really hard, on anybody in the Henrique household. Lets cut him some slack.

People we're just telling me last week that we're such a great fanbase because Connor Brown got support scoring one goal all season. Well Henrique could probably use some cheer as much as anybody on the team. Nobody has experienced the upheaval he has since TDL.
My youngest turns 2 later this week, and my oldest is 6.

My wife leaving for a conference for 2 days was literally one of the hardest things either of us have had to do in our lives.

My youngest kid doesn't sleep. Like at ALL. 4 wakeups a night, for at least an hour each time.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Yet, knowing all this, they still traded for him.

Hope it works out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Yet, knowing all this, they still traded for him.

Hope it works out.
I hope none of this is true.

Hen is a solid if unspectacular player at the end of his career. Properly motivated a good add to a team on a cup run. I felt the price was a bit too high and i/most were hoping for better...

But if true and Hen is lacking motivation and was reluctant to move for any reason... This is a terrible acquisition. More on par with Hollands bungling than his fewer good moves. Reeks of desperation if true.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I hope none of this is true.

Hen is a solid if unspectacular player at the end of his career. Properly motivated a good add to a team on a cup run. I felt the price was a bit too high and i/most were hoping for better...

But if true and Hen is lacking motivation and was reluctant to move for any reason... This is a terrible acquisition. More on par with Hollands bungling than his fewer good moves. Reeks of desperation if true.
I don’t think lacking motivation is the right term at all. He’s going through a difficult adjustment with lots of factors at play. I’m sure he wants to be contributing and he knew he was getting traded so he wasn’t surprised. It doesn’t mean it’s easy on him.

One of the problems I continue to see though is once again the team has stapled Mcdavid and Drai together, which has almost always come at the expense of every other line on the team.

Time will tell if he can pick it up, I bet he contributes in a positive way before this is all said and done.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I don’t know if this counts for anything but i read somewhere this is the very first time he’s playing ‘zone’ rather than ‘man to man’ so he has to get used to a new system as well. He hasn’t been spectacular but he hasn’t done anything to piss me off neither yet

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Henrique has no ‘killer app’ and never has. No elite shot, no elite speed, etc…. the best you can hope for is solid but unspectacular. High price

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Can we stop shitting on Kostin for no reason? Would you prefer to lose in round 1 last year to LA? Because likely that's what happens without Kostin, he scored several huge goals for us that series and then your wunder GM is where exactly? Probably fired right there on the spot. That would be 1st round exits to Chicago (basically), Winnipeg, LA, after the one 3rd round run, the narrative would be 100% "they're right back to being 1st round chokers" and that would be an ugly look.

Last edited:

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The thing I don't get about the Henrique deal is, Draisaitl is a better 2C than him. Kane is a better 2LW than him. Mcleod is a more effective 3C than him at this point. Foegele is a better 3LW for our team at least, since we play with speed. I'm not sure what box he's supposed to check that we don't have, aside from another player in our top 9.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Can we stop shitting on Kostin for no reason? Would you prefer to lose in round 1 last year to LA? Because likely that's what happens without Kostin, he scored several huge goals for us that series and then your wunder GM is where exactly? Probably fired right there on the spot. That would be 1st round exits to Chicago (basically), Winnipeg, LA, after the one 3rd round run, the narrative would be 100% "they're right back to being 1st round chokers" and that would be an ugly look.
-I'm not the one that brought up Kostin initially
- assuming Kostin is the reason we beat LA is utterly hilarious lol

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The thing I don't get about the Henrique deal is, Draisaitl is a better 2C than him. Kane is a better 2LW than him. Mcleod is a more effective 3C than him at this point. Foegele is a better 3LW for our team at least, since we play with speed. I'm not sure what box he's supposed to check that we don't have, aside from another player in our top 9.

He's flexible enough to play on any line, has produced like at least an average second line player for his entire career, kills penalties, and has always been a very strong 2 way player. I think he was picked up as a way to help shore up the team's overall defensive game up front, which has been a concern the last few playoffs.

As far as his specific position, having him and mcleod available to swap between 2LW and 3C depending on the matchup is probably where I'd expect him to be most of the time. It also gives us the option when we're down late in a game to go to Mcdrai, while being able to have Henrique play C on line 2 as his faceoff ability is significantly better than Nuge or Mcleod, while providing far more offense than having to throw Derek Ryan out there to take a late faceoff.

It looks to me like he's playing extra safe right now which would make sense until he's used to the new team. In his 5 games with us he's played almost 15 minutes a night while being on for 0 GA and 2 GF. It's not amazing, but given the context of his caphit, his personal situation, and his overall game being more system based and defensive, I think it's far too early to doubt his impact. I believe the team knew when we were grabbing henrique that it wasn't going to be for his immediate impact post deadline, but rather for how he performs in the playoffs after having some time to adjust to the new situation.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Or it could even be based on Kostin scoring 14G for us last season while being a limited minutes mostly bottomsix player and leading the team in hits and being every aspect of physical identity role player including fighting. Kostin is a clear gamer. People that respect the physical element of hockey, and the impact that has (excuse pun) tend to like the contribution. Teams or fans that want pretty hockey (Detroit) don't like it and don't like this kind of meat and potatoes kind of player. A guy like Eakins would hate Kostin. But more old school coaches would recognize the assets. That this guy can do every aspect of role and still score is value. Even at 2M, if we had it to spare, its value.

In anycase Kostin was available and we could have had him back for pennies at TDL. just saying.
Imagine a 4th line of Kostin-Carrick-Perry, that is a quality NHL 4th line. Tough to play against, tough and each guy can score greasy goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad