Proposal: EDM- ANA Blockbuster

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Thats definitely more reasonable and with his lower cap hit is probably attainable especially if retention is on the table.

I like Rakell it’s just the fans saying he’s Anaheim’s best forward are completely ignoring that on a top contender he’s 4th best forward type.
And what does a top 4 forward for any team cost generally? A first and a good prospect? Hes a legit top 6 forward with top line capabilities. How much more space will he have to work with when other teams have 3 other guys they have to worry about and he actually has someone else to work with?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well I said forward and I’d have McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH ahead of him. A team like Tampa has 6 forwards as good or better. Toronto for sure. Edmonton has the worst winger collection of a team in a playoff position so that’s not saying much.
Even more to the point of why he’d be wanted in Edmonton.... I think Rakell on Mcdavid / draisitl wing > than rnh... but we’d just have to wait and see on something like that

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
You need to watch the ducks. They haven’t been able to score for the past 4 years now. Every year they are worst in the league on scoring. Gibson is 90% the reason why they even win some games during the season. If your goalie wants a shutout? You play against Anaheim I’m not even joking,
You’ll note I never said a thing about GAA or wins because I realize how shitty the Ducks are right now.

I also named numerous other goalies on equally poor and defensively challenged teams right now who are performing better than Gibson, yet the Ducks fans will rate Gibson as significantly more valuable than any of those other goalies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You’ll note I never said a thing about GAA or wins because I realize how shitty the Ducks are right now.

I also named numerous other goalies on equally poor and defensively challenged teams right now who are performing better than Gibson, yet the Ducks fans will rate Gibson as significantly more valuable than any of those other goalies.
The simple solution to this is not to ask for Gibson and go bother other teams for those goalies

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Our offense is literally just Rakell by himself lol

This isn’t a lie. And I don’t understand these forums saying otherwise regarding Anaheim’s problems. Everyone else who watches the Ducks do..... if they watched one game

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This isn’t a lie. And I don’t understand these forums saying otherwise regarding Anaheim’s problems. Everyone else who watches the Ducks do..... if they watched one game
It’s ugly to watch, I just want Rakell to go to a deserving team and light it up and make all the people calling him a 40 point player, or declining player look dumb

Reactions: Rec T

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
In the 2017-2018 season, when he scored 34 goals while making chump change compared to other top 6 forwards in the league.

So the one year he did that makes him a premium asset, everything before and after should be ignored?

Still not seeing it; two 30 goals seasons, 3 years ago, is that it? :huh:

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My bad thought you were talking about Rakell.

I think Gibson is a good goalie... better than either Smith or Koskinen... trade value wise he’s just not worth what some Ducks fans think he’s worth.
I’ll just say agree to disagree, the idea being that we have no intention of trading him.... so for any of us to say yes to a trade involving Gibson it has to be a pretty hefty price

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
It’s ugly to watch, I just want Rakell to go to a deserving team and light it up and make all the people calling him a 40 point player, or declining player look dumb

Lots of Anaheim’s players deserve better opportunities elsewhere. Have talked to several friends regarding Gibson, most are in agreement that he should be traded while he’s in his prime right now. Anaheim in no way shape or form is ready to compete. Ducks get their picks and prospects to help the rebuild. And Gibson goes to a contending team. Win win for both of us. Ducks may even get respect in free agency anyway. Players will know we treat our players good. We don’t hold em hostage

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So the one year he did that makes him a premium asset, everything before and after should be ignored?

I think most pro scouts look at Anaheim and realize that offense is trash, but Rakell can be that player with help around him. Hfboards just look at goals and assist and assume the player declined... I def don’t think that is the case with Rakell.... and I’d say he’s playing better than he was those 2 years you mentioned. He just has 0 support around him.... the type of player it takes to be successful with this roster wouldn’t be available in trade

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
My bad thought you were talking about Rakell.

I think Gibson is a good goalie... better than either Smith or Koskinen... trade value wise he’s just not worth what some Ducks fans think he’s worth.

I disagree. I remember reading FB groups and other message boards regarding Andersen not fetching a first. And he did. Every GM in the league knows Anaheim’s struggles if they looked at a stat sheet and watched a game. They know Gibsons value regarding age and contract. If it wasn’t for Gibson? Anaheim would be locked for top 5 first round draft selections the last 3 years.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

On paper, sure the Ducks have a better defense than some other teams. But when Lindholm and Manson miss over half the season each, it's not so good. Combined with a coach that makes bad lineup decisions and Rakell being they only first line forward on the team (and a complimentary one at that). Even if a star forward is bad on defense, they can make up for it by controlling the puck in the offensive zone, the Ducks don't have that. Gibson's numbers really took a hit when Lindholm went down before Manson came back and he was getting overworked (before getting hurt, he played something like all but 4 games). He looks a lot better since getting a week or so off, until Eakins runs him into the ground again.

As an Oilers fan, you should know how Eakins is as a coach. He was good in the AHL and has been good for some of the kids, but overall there's a lot of puzzling moves, to put it nicely. Gibson and Rakell are still capable of putting up the numbers they did, but they're not McDavid or Hasek. Rakell won't carry a bunch of nobodies and Gibson won't carry a terrible team to the playoffs by himself.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020

He’s putting up good numbers on an offensively starved team. His production will increase wherever he goes and he’s on a sweetheart deal. He can also play C and W, meaning you can plug him anywhere in the lineup. You need a winger to fill out your top 6, he’s your guy. You need a 3C to give you incredible offensive depth, he’s your guy. Teams pay for that kind of player.

I can’t spell it out much better than that.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I think most pro scouts look at Anaheim and realize that offense is trash, but Rakell can be that player with help around him. Hfboards just look at goals and assist and assume the player declined... I def don’t think that is the case with Rakell.... and I’d say he’s playing better than he was those 2 years you mentioned. He just has 0 support around him.... the type of player it takes to be successful with this roster wouldn’t be available in trade

Exactly. Even if they do look at the stats. Atleast look at the entire teams stats, and do a full analysis with the rest of the league comparables. Anaheim is bottom in most of the categories. To take one individuals performance and hold it against em as a negative value is ridiculous.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Rakell is a 15g + 30a 45p player... that’s his pace for the past 3 seasons.

Gibson is a .904 save percentage guy.... his save percentage the past 2 seasons.

The following are a few goalies that have a better save percentage than Gibson this year...
Bernier DETROIT RED WINGS
Lankinen CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
Ullmark BUFFALO SABRES
Wedgewood NEW JERSEY DEVILS
Blackwood NEW JERSEY DEVILS
Jones SAN JOSE SHARKS

...and cap dump Koskinen, playing in front of one of the worst defensive cores in the league (based on many many comments on these boards) only has .001 lesser save percentage than Gibson.

... those don’t scream as “PREMIUM” assets.

They’re would help the Oilers, but not even in the same discussion as Draisaitl.
Yes, isolate the stats you need to devalue the players you want on your team so you pay less.

Anaheim isn't a good team. They are offensively starved and have been for a while, as others have said. The only team to score less goals than the Ducks this season is Detroit. They're a rebuilding team and you expect both Rakell and Gibson to put up godly numbers?

You're not paying for Rakell or Gibson based on their current production. You're paying for Rakell and Gibson because they're both really good players that will flourish on any contending team.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yes, isolate the stats you need to devalue the players you want on your team so you pay less.

Anaheim isn't a good team. They are offensively starved and have been for a while, as others have said. The only team to score less goals than the Ducks this season is Detroit. They're a rebuilding team and you expect both Rakell and Gibson to put up godly numbers?

You're not paying for Rakell or Gibson based on their current production. You're paying for Rakell and Gibson because they're both really good players that will flourish on any contending team.

Well said. If teams had the same thought process as the poster you responded to, none of them would bother having pro scouts. Who needs them, when a guy on HF can tell you exactly what a player is worth based on his hockeydb page?

In reality, teams that a tracking Rakell this season are seeing a guy playing the best hockey of his career.

Reactions: EK392000

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Surrounding them with decent support ... not rushing your draft picks and playing them above their heads in the key.

Oh, and the right coach is huge.

all of the above from experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad