Rosters and Ratings: Edit players

Mickegg

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't played this series in years but I just saw a video of a guy who edited player ratings in NHL 18 and the option "change player name" was visible, is it possible to change player names?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Unfortunately no.

Another thing I hate is that you can't edit free agents. You have to move them to a team first, and them ove them back.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Unfortunately no.

Another thing I hate is that you can't edit free agents. You have to move them to a team first, and them move them back.

Yes, this is a ridiculous choice they made. Also, that a top 4 pick, like Cale Makar and many others aren't in the game, is also ridiculous ( I know this is common for EA, point stands though). Also, if you edit your players ratings outside Franchise Mode, they don't carry over into Franchise Mode, which is you guessed it, ridiculous!

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yes, this is a ridiculous choice they made. Also, that a top 4 pick, like Cale Makar and many others aren't in the game, is also ridiculous ( I know this is common for EA, point stands though). Also, if you edit your players ratings outside Franchise Mode, they don't carry over into Franchise Mode, which is you guessed it, ridiculous!

In EA Sports' defense, the NCAA doesn't allow their athletes' likeliness to be used in a video game, as they do not profit from it.

It would be really nice if EA decided to take the MLB The Show route, and allow users to create and share custom rosters, that way they aren't responsible if say, Cale Makar is created.

Reactions: Oddbob and BJNT

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

They carry over to classic franchise mode, but not expansion mode. But yeah, still stupid. Just wanted to let you know, unless you already did.

Reactions: Oddbob

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
In EA Sports' defense, the NCAA doesn't allow their athletes' likeliness to be used in a video game, as they do not profit from it.

It would be really nice if EA decided to take the MLB The Show route, and allow users to create and share custom rosters, that way they aren't responsible if say, Cale Makar is created.

Go a step further and allow users to create entire leagues and teams and even import logos. Users could add the NCAA and all the players and they could avoid any legal action.

Reactions: BJNT

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
So I've been trying to get it so that rosters are at least reasonably accurate for franchise mode, but there's a massive problem in that European players who have their rights own by NHL teams but are on Euro teams are very random on how the game deals with them. Some players will end up under contract (even if they're set with 0 years on their contract) which often knocks players with contracts to UFA, others will end up as unsigned prospects, some are dropped into the UFA pool and even some players (Pierre Engvall was the most glaring one) end up on the roster under the UFA section.

Does anyone have any fixes for this, or is this just a "you just have to deal with it" things? 'Cause my generally non-exist OCD is flaring up playing without guys like Marchenko in my unsigned players list. :laugh:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
So I've been trying to get it so that rosters are at least reasonably accurate for franchise mode, but there's a massive problem in that European players who have their rights own by NHL teams but are on Euro teams are very random on how the game deals with them. Some players will end up under contract (even if they're set with 0 years on their contract) which often knocks players with contracts to UFA, others will end up as unsigned prospects, some are dropped into the UFA pool and even some players (Pierre Engvall was the most glaring one) end up on the roster under the UFA section.

Does anyone have any fixes for this, or is this just a "you just have to deal with it" things? 'Cause my generally non-exist OCD is flaring up playing without guys like Marchenko in my unsigned players list. :laugh:

Young prospects in the European leagues can be traded to CHL teams. That solves that.

However, this doesn't work for prospects who are 21 or older. The only way to deal with them is to make them free agents, unfortunately. You may not want to do this with most players, but there's a few guys who are like 24+ that I'm pretty sure no NHL teams owns the rights to anymore. Trade them from their euro team to a team in the AHL, and choose "free agent" when the question about NHL/AHL affiliate comes up, and then trade them back to their euro club.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Young prospects in the European leagues can be traded to CHL teams. That solves that.

However, this doesn't work for prospects who are 21 or older. The only way to deal with them is to make them free agents, unfortunately. You may not want to do this with most players, but there's a few guys who are like 24+ that I'm pretty sure no NHL teams owns the rights to anymore. Trade them from their euro team to a team in the AHL, and choose "free agent" when the question about NHL/AHL affiliate comes up, and then trade them back to their euro club.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been a bit more clear. I'm not talking about the annoying players from 5 years ago who were signed by NHL teams for a year or two and then released and have since become free agents, I'm talking about players who's rights are still owned by NHL teams but are playing in Europe on loans. Guys like Nick Sorensen or, as I mentioned, Alexey Marchenko. Making them free agents keeps them from being given contracts and knocking an actual NHL/AHL player into the UFA, but it makes them free agents. There seems to be some method by which the game engine decides either a player gets a contract or becomes a UFA at load time (as opposed to the 3rd option of becoming an "unsigned player"), but I can't seem to figure out that trigger. Perhaps there isn't one?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The edit player thing drives me nuts as it seems EA Sports can't decide whether to include it or not.

If I have a prospect they listed at 6'0, 170, who is really 6'2, 200, I want to be able to edit that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad