Confirmed with Link: Eddie Pasquale & 159th pick to #Caps for 164th, 192nd picks in 2014 & 7th rd in 2015

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 52s
WPG moving goalie prospect Pasquale to WSH. With Comrie and Hellebuyck coming, he was going to be squeezed.

Sounds like Pasquale & 159th pick to #Caps for 164th, 192nd picks in 2014 & 7th rd in 2015

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Backup AHL goalie's are easy enough to come by, not sure why this would have any bearing on Hutch.

teebanas

Feb 27, 2013
West St Paul MB
No no guys don't worry, obviously Chevy is planning to have P***** start for St. John's next year , so there was no need for Pasquale ... :sarcasm:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The potential implication is that they were freeing up the BACKUP position for Helle, while Hutch stays down and we find a FA NHL Backup.

Or they add a Drew MacIntyre type, maybe even a guy on an AHL deal who can split starts with Hellebucyk in St. J's, and this has zero effect on Hutch.

Or they add a reasonable NHL backup option and have a competition with Hutch, with the loser splitting starts in St J's.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Or they add a Drew MacIntyre type, maybe even a guy on an AHL deal who can split starts with Hellebucyk in St. J's, and this has zero effect on Hutch.

Maybe that does happen. But management's allocation of goaltending talent has been suspect to say the least, so while I agree what you propose is the best course of action, I'm not sure if that's what Chevy will do.

We shall see.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The potential implication is that they were freeing up the BACKUP position for Helle, while Hutch stays down and we find a FA NHL Backup.

I got what the implication was. I just don't really see why they would keep Hutch down after the year he had unless they plan on swinging a deal for a real 1A type goalie. Having him down there also doesn't make sense from a development stand point if the purpose is to get Helli a lot of games next year as Hutch is undoubtedly better atm and would earn the lions share of the starts.

Also wasn't everyone sure that Pasquale wouldn't have been qualified anyway.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
OK let's put it this way. Before this trade our (non UFA) pro goaltending looked like this:

Pavelec
Hutchinson
Pasquale
Hellebuyck

So you can split that down the middle to get your NHL/AHL tandems. With Pasquale gone, Hutch is either the starter in the AHL or the backup in the NHL. I think he should start as the NHL backup, he's earned it by a wide margin. But I fear that management will fill the NHL backup spot through FA/Trade instead. This is not what I want to happen, but what I fear will happen.

I'm sure you understand this, just trying to make my point more clear.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
OK let's put it this way. Before this trade our (non UFA) pro goaltending looked like this:

Pavelec
Hutchinson
Pasquale
Hellebuyck

So you can split that down the middle to get your NHL/AHL tandems. With Pasquale gone, Hutch is either the starter in the AHL or the backup in the NHL. I think he should start as the NHL backup, he's earned it by a wide margin. But I fear that management will fill the NHL backup spot through FA/Trade instead. This is not what I want to happen, but what I fear will happen.

I definitely understand it but I don't see the point in sending him down unless management brings in a proven 1A option to challenge him.

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
IF they send Hutch down to the AHL this season it may be based on him having more starts to continue his strong development, rather than sitting on the bench most nights watching things happen.

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Is there much more that he can develop though?

He did start last season in the ECHL and managed to blow everyone away and make it to the NHL. Giving him more time and a lot more starts in the AHL would only help build on what he did last season!

That said I do agree that he should be in the NHL and pushing Pavs out of his job. But that's assuming they give him enough starts. Last season showed that even with a good backup they still give Pavs way too many starts, I'd hate to see Hutch sitting on the bench for 70 games wasting his talents and getting rusty.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I was pretty certain we were not going to qualify him so it's good we didn't lose him for nothing. I still think Hutch will be with the Jets. We'll find another minor league goalie out there.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Pavelec
Hutchinson
Pasquale
Hellebuyck

There's also Olkinuora who could be playing AHL or ECHL next year. Although he hasn't looked very good in either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad