Ed Olczyk " Laine has the ability to be a 65-70 goal scorer. Agree?

Ed Olczyk " Laine has the ability to be a 65-70 goal scorer. Agree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, Laine definitely has the ability. That doesn't mean it will happen, but that isn't what was asked.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
I doubt he will break 50 goals. 30-40 should be the average season wise.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Even though Laine scored 44 goals, his season was not perfect at all. He had periods when his game wasn't just there, yet in the end he finishes season 2nd in goal scoring is amazing. Just think what it will be like when he is at his prime, not having these scoreless droughts. He will definitely have the ability to score up to 70 just based on what we have seen from him.

Reactions: Moon Man

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
I believe he is close to his peak already.
I also think Marner and Matthews won't ever score 70 points. See how that works? (That's more reasonable than your take btw Laine is already a 40-50 goals scorer while the other two never got 70 points or more)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
70 in today's NHL is pretty much impossible.

60 in a year where everything goes right is possible.

No one's scored 70 since selanne and moginily in 92-93.

Only Ovechkin and Stamkos have scored 60 since Jagr in 95-96.

He's likely to have a few 50+ goal season at his peak with some luck, but getting more than mid 50s consistently could be hard in today's game. It just doesn't happen. The last 2 seasons, the rocket winners have had the lowest goal totals (49 and 44) since 2003-04 season. It's really hard to score that many goals to be blunt.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's not even 20 yet and he has already scored 44 goals. What makes you think he cant atleast hit 50?

He scored 44 from a secondary role at 19y.

Peak Laine from the 1st line should be a threat for +50.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
As someone else mentioned, Laine is still quite raw and has a lot of areas he can improve on. If he can I think 60 would be possible. The fact that it looks like he'll be able to score 40 consistently with his shot alone is pretty unbelievable.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
In a previous era, absolutely. Goaltending and defense is just too good to see a guy clipping 70 now, though.

I can see him clipping 60 in a career year (maybe even twice), though. No small feat in a league where 50 goal-scorers are nearly extinct.

Reactions: Peaves

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
70 in today's NHL is pretty much impossible.

60 in a year where everything goes right is possible.

No one's scored 70 since selanne and moginily in 92-93.

Only Ovechkin and Stamkos have scored 60 since Jagr in 95-96.

He's likely to have a few 50+ goal season at his peak with some luck, but getting more than mid 50s consistently could be hard in today's game. It just doesn't happen. The last 2 seasons, the rocket winners have had the lowest goal totals (49 and 44) since 2003-04 season. It's really hard to score that many goals to be blunt.

70 is not impossible. If Ovechink managed to score 65 there is a very good chance Laine will score around there on his prime. Laine has arguably a better shot than Ovechkin so I don't think they are comparable really, very similar players but yet so different.

My guess is that Laine will score more goals on a specific season, but Ovechkin will remain as the better player. And it's nothing against Laine since Ovechkin is one of the best players of all time.

Reactions: pikkuvaimo

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The exact number in a peak season depends on league scoring trends and luck. What really matters is how much you score compared to your opponents on a consistent basis. He would definitely be my pick in a "Who will score the most goals over the next 10 seasons" poll. Serious talent.

Reactions: FVM

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
70 is not impossible. If Ovechink managed to score 65 there is a very good chance Laine will score around there on his prime. Laine has arguably a better shot than Ovechkin so I don't think they are comparable really, very similar players but yet so different.

My guess is that Laine will score more goals on a specific season, but Ovechkin will remain as the better player. And it's nothing against Laine since Ovechkin is one of the best players of all time.

chances can't be good when no one has done it since the 90s

I'm a laine fan as well and 70 goals is a stretch

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
chances can't be good when no one has done it since the 90s

I'm a laine fan as well and 70 goals is a stretch
In a previous era, absolutely. Goaltending and defense is just too good to see a guy clipping 70 now, though.

I can see him clipping 60 in a career year (maybe even twice), though. No small feat in a league where 50 goal-scorers are nearly extinct.

Yup. Again, people underestimate how hard it is to score that number of goals in the NHL.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
no way. if Stamkos and Kovalchuk never did it and Ovechkin only did it once....no.

barring some insane fluke season no. 40-50 goal guy.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
As someone else mentioned, Laine is still quite raw and has a lot of areas he can improve on. If he can I think 60 would be possible. The fact that it looks like he'll be able to score 40 consistently with his shot alone is pretty unbelievable.

If he can improvw his shot total by alot i think 60 is totally doable. Big if tho. If he could get of as many shots as ovechkin he could easily (lol) do 70+. Given that most of his shots are still from outside the slot..

Doubt hell ever get of as many as ovi tho.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Maybe if he can improve his accuracy. 1 out of 5 is hitting the spot but there is so much shots which miss it by inch or two.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
65-70 goals in a single season? Not a chance. And that's no slight against Laine. He's one of the very best goal scorers in the world today, and I can see him eclipsing 50+ multiple times in his career. But even prime Ovechkin, who is arguably the greatest goal scorer of all-time, only scored 65 once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad