Ed Jovanovski

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah, me again asking about retired players.

Is Jovanovski considered one of the best Vancouver defenceman ever?

What do you guys remember of Ed Jovanovski?

Was he not a fiesty player?

440px-Ed_Jovanovski2.jpg

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
He had a very good peak where he was considered one of the top D - would have classified him as Rob Blake lite. Unfortunately that peak was like 4 seasons.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Jovo-cop was awesome. Damn good offensively, challenged defensively, but him and Ohlund were an absolute force. He was always injured though.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
He was an elite version of Bieksa stylistically. Could do everything well but was prone to brain farts.

and yes he was one of the best in Canucks history IMO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Stylistically, Jovanovski was just a dynamite hockey player-- Despite his gaffes and despite being overall a weaker defenseman than Ohlund, just incredible raw entertainment value. A guy with top-end speed, strength, aggressiveness, and puck skills who is relentlessly activating as a fourth forward and hitting everything in sight like a wrecking ball.

My favorite powerplay setup is still:

Code:
             [Morrison]

[[Net]]
          [Jovanovski][Bertuzzi]

[Naslund]

[Salo]

Naslund sniping wrist-shots with the option of the Salo cannon on the point, Morrison ninja-ing around doing the little things, with not just Bertuzzi being an uncontainable force in front of the net, but with Jovanovski JOINING him in front of the net, just absolutely wreaking havoc. ****ing awesome.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Jovanovski was an extremely entertaining player in much the same way that the WJHC is great to watch.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Tough as nails too. Unfortunately he was probably the reason Adam Deadmarsh's career ended due to the concussions he got from fighting Jovo.

Crazy legs could really skate too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
When he was commited to playing defensive hockey, he was actually great at it-- just a case of not being able to do everything at once, IMO.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
When he was commited to playing defensive hockey, he was actually great at it-- just a case of not being able to do everything at once, IMO.

Yeah, he was also the kind of guy that always went down swinging when the team was playing from behind.

Jovo and Bieksa are my favourite two defensemen the team has had. I love guys that stir the drink.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Very true. He was equally gifted in either zone, but lacked the elite sense of being able to balance the two during the same game/shifts. If asked to play defensively, he was excellent at it.

Heart and soul guy, and the first defender that made me think of the term "swashbuckler". Watching him rush the puck was a treat. Lead the team in goals in the playoffs in 2003, I think.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
2003. I think that was the "both Bertuzzi and Jovanovski together in front of the net" year, which accounted for many of those goals. Teams didn't really have an answer for it.
Very true. He was equally gifted in either zone, but lacked the elite sense of being able to balance the two during the same game/shifts. If asked to play defensively, he was excellent at it.

Heart and soul guy, and the first defender that made me think of the term "swashbuckler". Watching him rush the puck was a treat. Lead the team in goals in the playoffs in 2003, I think.

Absolutely, few players are more effective at generating chaos, confusion, and offense when jumping up into the play, but many players are better at knowing when to jump up into the play (a lesser player like Bieksa was probably better at being able to tap into that balance/zone when he was on). I think that's how I would describe Jovanovski. Jovanovski relied alot more on Morrison's sense of when to cover for him at a moment's notice rather than his own sense of knowing when to jump up, IMO.

It really makes you appreicate Morrison's defensive game that much more. He was essentially covering for Jovanovski, Naslund AND Bertuzzi while putting up his customary 50-60 points every year.

Yeah, he was also the kind of guy that always went down swinging when the team was playing from behind.

Jovo and Bieksa are my favourite two defensemen the team has had. I love guys that stir the drink.
Funny enough, I actually don't feel that way at all about Bieksa. I love his personality and think he's very clutch, but whenever people point at Bieksa's willingness to go down swinging in times of adversity, all I end up seeing is a guy pouting and throwing silly temper tantrums when things don't go his way. I actually find those moments ugly to watch, personally.

I actually see more of the Jovo quality in Kesler, personally, where that flipping of the switch actually has a chance of helping and energizing the team rather than demoralizing it.

Last edited:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
2003. I think that was the "both Bertuzzi and Jovanovski together in front of the net" year, which accounted for many of those goals. Teams didn't really have an answer for it.

Absolutely, few players are more effective at generating chaos, confusion, and offense when jumping up into the play, but many players are better at knowing when to jump up into the play (a lesser player like Bieksa was probably better at being able to tap into that balance/zone when he was on). I think that's how I would describe Jovanovski. Jovanovski relied alot more on Morrison's sense of when to cover for him at a moment's notice rather than his own sense of knowing when to jump up, IMO.

It really makes you appreicate Morrison's defensive game that much more. He was essentially covering for Jovanovski, Naslund AND Bertuzzi while putting up his customary 50-60 points every year.

Funny enough, I actually don't feel that way at all about Bieksa. I love his personality and think he's very clutch, but whenever people point at Bieksa's willingness to go down swinging in times of adversity, all I end up seeing is a guy pouting and throwing silly temper tantrums when things don't go his way. I actually find those moments ugly to watch, personally.

I actually see more of the Jovo quality in Kesler, personally, where that flipping of the switch actually has a chance of helping and energizing the team rather than demoralizing it.

Kesler? Yikes. I couldn't disagree more. There aren't too many players that I've had a harder time cheering for in my years as a Nuck fan.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In talent, Jovo ranks up there with Edler (and to a lesser extent Ehrhoff?) as the closest thing the Canucks had to a #1 Dman.

Less so than Edler, but we kept waiting for Jovo to put it all together and win a Norris trophy. Unfortunately, injuries and less than high end hockey IQ prevented him from doing so.

I think Jovo belongs more in the old era. Not the best skater in terms of first steps so he's often caught flatfooted in the defensive zone, but he was like a freight train once he got going. Really powerful skater. I remember remarking that it's extremely difficult to be both an offensive puck rushing Dman and a physical force on the backend. That was how Jovo played and he couldn't do it. Like another poster remarked, he could be a physical shutdown Dman if he wanted, but he wouldn't be able to rush the puck and contribute offensively like he did.

One thing that knocks Jovo down a peg or two when discussing top Dman is, like Bieksa, his sensitivity to defensive partners. Basically, Jovo was good with Lachance and Malik. Partner him with anyone else and he was a train wreck.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kesler? Yikes. I couldn't disagree more. There aren't too many players that I've had a harder time cheering for in my years as a Nuck fan.
I don't know what that has to do with the ability to energize a team through sheer will when it's down. I'm not comparing their character/likability.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Jovo was a great D for a short period of time. I am not as mesmerized by him as some of our fan base are. Quite honestly I think he was a bit overrated for what he actually did. If he could stay healthy he would probably be in the discussion for best of all time but as it is now I think he was just a really good Dman for our franchise. I personally wouldn't even put him in the top 5. Probably top 10 but that's not saying much since outside of the top 5 the rest of our Dmen have been your avg NHL Dmen. Not great but not bad.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Might be a case of me just having faulty memory (as a result of old age :laugh:) but didn't Jovo have some epic battles with Lindros (when he was at his peak) that one post-season (when he was a Panther - think he was a rookie/sophmore at the time)?

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
He was an elite version of Bieksa stylistically. Could do everything well but was prone to brain farts.

and yes he was one of the best in Canucks history IMO.

That was basically a mirror of my opinion on Bieksa when he was playing well. The offence and physicality were less than Jovo could bring, but the errors weren't quite as bad.

I wouldn't go quite so far as to name Jove one of the best Canucks in history.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Might be a case of me just having faulty memory (as a result of old age :laugh:) but didn't Jovo have some epic battles with Lindros (when he was at his peak) that one post-season (when he was a Panther - think he was a rookie/sophmore at the time)?
Dunno, I was too young to know anything about that.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Certainly up there with the best we've had. Offensive talent, tough guy, good skater...but could defensively be a liability. If you were a goalie, seeing 55 in front of you almost always meant an eventful time. Tried but never really succeeded to shake the "Special Ed" nickname for this habit.

Absolutely. The Panthers' Cup run in...96? 97? *google* 96. Yup. That was his rookie year. Really came out as a force, but didn't really improve on it in a Florida uniform. Was at his best here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Jovo was a great D for a short period of time. I am not as mesmerized by him as some of our fan base are. Quite honestly I think he was a bit overrated for what he actually did. If he could stay healthy he would probably be in the discussion for best of all time but as it is now I think he was just a really good Dman for our franchise. I personally wouldn't even put him in the top 5. Probably top 10 but that's not saying much since outside of the top 5 the rest of our Dmen have been your avg NHL Dmen. Not great but not bad.

You highlighted why Jovo deserves to be ranked among the best Canucks Dmen only you drew a different conclusion. In terms of talent, production, and performance, he had 3-4 seasons where he was no doubt one of the best Dmen in the league. There's a reason why he was selected to play for Team Canada in the Olympics. Longevity wise it's not there and that's why he doesn't surpass Ohlund who played on the same teams

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Jovocop VS Deadmarsh on-going feud was amazing.

While you may feel slightly bad that Deadmarsh's career ended due being hit in the head by Jovo's fist, he did willingly walk into every altercation with him.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
You highlighted why Jovo deserves to be ranked among the best Canucks Dmen only you drew a different conclusion. In terms of talent, production, and performance, he had 3-4 seasons where he was no doubt one of the best Dmen in the league. There's a reason why he was selected to play for Team Canada in the Olympics. Longevity wise it's not there and that's why he doesn't surpass Ohlund who played on the same teams

3-4 seasons does not make him one of the best Dmen ever for this franchise. Not even close. It's a slap to those who actually had careers here. The only reason some of our fan base look at him like that is because we've had such avg NHL Dmen in our history. The fact he played for team Canada means nothing. If we are to be honest and talk about where JoVo sits among Canuck Dmen in history he's not even in the top 5. Maybe top 10. Just because he had a few seasons of impressive hockey does not put him ahead of those Canucks who had made careers of it.

Look, I get that some of you think JoVo was one of the greatest. I don't. He wasn't at the top of his game for long enough here for him to be in the discussion from my stand point. But that's just my opinion. I don't pretend to think my opinion is fact. I think the bigger picture is just how terrible our franchise has been at acquiring top Dmen throughout it's history when we're sitting here talking about how JoVo was one of the greats. I personally feel that's sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad