Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sunday, May 19 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)

- End of season media availability for players beginning at approximately 9 a.m.

- Availability is expected to conclude at approximately 12 p.m.

- Lunch will be provided to the media

Please note that details regarding end of season media availability for the Boston Bruins leadership group will be announced at a later date.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Again though they don't "need" to. Does it makes sense to? Absolutely. The OP was (paraphrasing) that teams won't offer much and just wait till he's a UFA because they know Boston needs to trade him.
I think they do need to they could have $13 million potentially in cap space for two goalies ,and he walks away next season and they get nothing,you have to free up the 5 million,even if they can get a second round pick hopefully more but need to move him now.

Reactions: Gordoff

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
we should be really good next year.
trade ullmark. lose gryz and forbort.
we will have plenty of cap space.
I would consider trading zacha pasta or mcavoy as well.
mcavoy and pasta big guns who havent stepped up in the playoffs. gojng on at least 5 years now.

Reactions: DoubleBack

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I think they do need to they could have $13 million potentially in cap space for two goalies ,and he walks away next season and they get nothing,you have to free up the 5 million,even if they can get a second round pick hopefully more but need to move him now.
I thought they would be a wild card team and go out early in the playoffs again so did better in the regular season,that I don’t care about anymore,and they beat the Leafs which really isn’t a great feat ,they’re less of a playoffs team than the Bruins.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

No it's not a "NEED" it's what they should do though. A need would be like they can't get under the cap without moving a sizeable contract.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
So, several hours later, I'd like to come to my conclusion to this season:

The Bruins can be nothing but proud of their achievement(s) this season. They were in the presidents trophy hunt right until the end and survived the first round against a strong opponent and gave the (second) best team in the east a run for their money.

Sometimes it's fine to not be a cup contender or a tanking team...just above average.

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Debrusk needs to go. This man can literally disappear for a half season at a time.

Re-signing him is another example of accepting mediocrity.

If we cant do better than debrusk then we're in trouble.
You say that, but our farm system is not loaded with fast wingers that can score. He is as good as gone, so free agency will be DS's only source

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
No it's not a "NEED" it's what they should do though. A need would be like they can't get under the cap without moving a sizeable contract.
Apples to,Oranges they will move him.

So, several hours later, I'd like to come to my conclusion to this season:

The Bruins can be nothing but proud of their achievement(s) this season. They were in the presidents trophy hunt right until the end and survived the first round against a strong opponent and gave the (second) best team in the east a run for their money.

Sometimes it's fine to not be a cup contender or a tanking team...just above average.
If there competing for the Presidents,trophy why is just getting past the first round good enough.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I’ll be disappointed if the Bruins don’t make some changes by way of moving some core guys out.
Love you Marchy and everything you gave to the team but I’d look to move him out. He’s cooked.
Coyle or Zacha take your pick. I’d rather move Coyle and play Zacha on the wing. Ullmark and Gryzlyk need to be moved out as well. I’d see what you could get for Lindholm. Maybe Lohrei can eventually run a power play but we need a guy that can shoot bombs from the blue line. Haven’t had one since the Hobbit.
Use the cap space to snag a centre and bring in some young players, this team needs a new leadership core.

Don't agree with everything you said but I love your avatar!!!

Reactions: Bad Bruin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Well I've had the better part of the day to come to terms with this season.

Yes, they overachieved. No question about that given how the roster was constructed.

Yes, a huge disappointment losing to the Florida f***tards. You get that far & then shit the bed like that???? Ugh.

This team is mentally fragile. We've seen it time & again and we saw it last night- they came out absolutely flying, they were hitting, making passes & taking shots. One crappy PP later & everything went to hell. It's like deep down they just don't believe in themselves or each other. Something needs to be done about that. It's been an issue for several seasons now IMO>

It will be interesting to see what Bruins management does this off-season. Stay tuned...

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Its hilarious that you can't even criticize Pasta without certain posters freaking out. Accountability. Take some. I don't care if Pasta personally makes you dinner. He didn't show up. Had he did, we might of won this series. Instead he was a ghost. Our stars didn't show up. Look around the league at who is still standing. The stars are showing up.

So either Pasta was hurt.

Or he just had a bad playoff. It happens. But man did we need him.

I agree he isn't immune to criticism, and I'd have liked to see more production. But I think the counterpoint is that it's more complicated than the stat line this year. He was playing with Morgan Geekie as his 1C last game. I like Geekie, but Pasta wasn't surrounded by guys capable of making plays at his level. He would have produced much more if the team wasn't forced to run with the lineup they had. It's easy to defend 1 guy on a line if there aren't other real threats. In past years he was close to or over PPG in the playoffs

We had a very talent-starved forward group this year for well documented reasons, and that affected everyone

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I agree he isn't immune to criticism, and I'd have liked to see more production. But I think the counterpoint is that it's more complicated than the stat line this year. He was playing with Morgan Geekie as his 1C last game. I like Geekie, but Pasta wasn't surrounded by guys capable of making plays at his level. He would have produced much more if the team wasn't forced to run with the lineup they had. It's easy to defend 1 guy on a line if there aren't other real threats. In past years he was close to or over PPG in the playoffs

We had a very talent-starved forward group this year for well documented reasons, and that affected everyone
Valid points. But Pasta produced with these players in the regular season. I see no reason why he he couldn't in the playoffs. He had so many opportunities to score. He was snakebit. I firmly believe that if Pasta was the Pasta we saw in the regular season, we win

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Valid points. But Pasta produced with these players in the regular season. I see no reason why he he couldn't in the playoffs. He had so many opportunities to score. He was snakebit. I firmly believe that if Pasta was the Pasta we saw in the regular season, we win

Yeah you could be right. Things get tighter in the post season, but you can argue that the stars also should elevate their game. Either way, hope to see some more talent up there with 88 next year

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Trading pasta is the most classic HF take. Just stop. He’s the most electric goal scorer we’ve had in 40 years

But he makes mistakes!
Is it? I loved Nifty, he was amazing but Middleton wasn't a playoff leader. Pasta needs players around him to be effective and to be the best possible player. He is a point machine but as we all saw, he can be shutdown when given the task of leading a team. He needs a center or he is just another predictable Ovechkin.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You can't have it both ways, dude. Celebrate going all in when it happened and than a year later put on your 20/20 hindsight vision glasses and complain he used draft picks for something you celebrated when it happened. Sweeney made the right moves in 2023. The players shit the bed along with some seriously questionable coaching errors on Monty.

BTW, I originally was pointing out that a 6th round pick had no value, which it doesn't. You are pulling me into a different conversation. You were gripping about the value of a 6th rd pick and using it on Maroon. I don't know too many GMs who wouldn't pull the trigger on a trade like that. Established player > future 6th rounder every time.

Personally, Monty needs to go. When I saw this team falling apart against the Laffs and some of the decisions Monty was making, it was all on him. That's not even bringing up the fact the Bruins broke the NHL playoff record with 8 TMM penalties in 13 games with 2 in one game.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Monty was way in over his head. Deer in the headlights, dead in the head. Made decisions that were head scratchers and he lucked out that Toronto didn't make their defensive changes until it was too late.
Last year, with a loaded team he was so out of his element it was apparent but they couldn't fire him because COTY and the fact that Cassidy won in LV they'd have looked ridiculous.
If there's a premium Stanley Cup winning coach out there even Claude Julien to roll it back and re-install a defensive system he's it.
But, Brindamour would bring discipline and a new attitude behind the bench too.
Again, depends on who is available but I'm done with the whole coaching staff and even whoever it is who's supposed to keep them in ultimate shape.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Barnum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad